PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Hazards - a reminder

Freedom
12-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Just returned from the vet's, and they are handing out a Holiday Hazards sheet to everyone. I thought this might be a good reminder for all.

Chocolate (especially dark or bakers chocolate)
Macadamia nuts
Grapes or Raisins
Cocoa beans
Tea / Soda
Xylitol (calorie-free sweetener sometimes used in sugar free products)
Propylene glycol

Tinsel (common cause of potentially fatal intestinal damage)
Plastic wrap
Ribbons
Candy wrappers
Aluminum foil
Mistletoe and Holly
Poinsetties can cause vomiting /diarrhea
Lillies can be fatal

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Very good honey! Add- ornament hooks.. but that is a good list..

lv4dogs
12-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Great idea & great list.

Poinsetties are not as poisonous as once thought but you can never be too safe.

Glass bulbs. I can't count the number of dogs we see at the office who stepped on one that fell or bite into one, causing cuts.

The snow globes, they are filled with anti-freeze.

Salt for ice, can cause irritation to the animals skin & feet.

Vela
12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
If your dog ingests a glass ornament, or pieces of such, feed it 100% cotton balls dipped in coffee creamer (for flavor) about 4 or 5, and contact your vet. The cotton will wrap around the sharp objects and cushion your pets intestines to help prevent intestinal perforation. I can tell you from experience that this works, when my 9 month old puppy Cracker ate a pincushion the kids had left down, when he thought it was a ball. He ingested 2 inch straight sewing pins. He ended up passing them all safely with no damage and on x-ray was found to have no more pins in his system. A visit to the vet is a must, of course. It helps prevent sharp pieces from becoming stuck and causing a blockage. This would probably help with hooks as well.

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
If your dog ingests a glass ornament, or pieces of such, feed it 100% cotton balls dipped in coffee creamer (for flavor) about 4 or 5, and contact your vet. The cotton will wrap around the sharp objects and cushion your pets intestines to help prevent intestinal perforation. I can tell you from experience that this works, when my 9 month old puppy Cracker ate a pincushion the kids had left down, when he thought it was a ball. He ingested 2 inch straight sewing pins. He ended up passing them all safely with no damage and on x-ray was found to have no more pins in his system. A visit to the vet is a must, of course. It helps prevent sharp pieces from becoming stuck and causing a blockage. This would probably help with hooks as well.
OH WOW! GOD BLESS YOU! Zubin bite a glass christmas ball, and except for a cut near a a tooth he was fine, but I wondered what to do if he had digested it.. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

cyber-sibes
12-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks! You have thngs on here I hadn't thought about...like the snowglobes. I was just looking at one yesterday, but I didn't know they have antifreeze in them. I guess we don't need one in our house after all.

BaileysMom
12-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Bailey ate a candy cane.. I caught him a couple minutes ago but he'd already swallowed it.. my lil sis must have dropped it or something.. can that do any harm to him?