PDA

View Full Version : PTS shelters banned!

Anita Cholaine
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12/09/laciudad/h-06601.htm

Basically, the article says that from the beggining of next year, all PTS shelters will stop working in my province (Buenos Aires). To control the dog and cat population, the government with use alternative methods such as spaying and neutering.

I'm SO glad about this. Unfortunately, most of the times the government tries to do something good, it ends up in nothing. Hopefully, they are planning to develope really effective spaying and neutering campaigns. If not, then it will mean that the government will do nothing for homeless dogs. There lots of small humane societes, but most of them have really low financial resourses, so they can't do much.

I really hope the result of all this is not more and more dogs and cats in the streets. But still... it is great to think about all the dogs and cats who will be saved from being put to sleep.

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow!! That is quite a step.. Very progressive. Keep us posted how this works out.
Here- the breed clubs did nothing to stop the bans for certain breeds, didnt even attend the hearings, and now certain breeds are euthenized if not claimed or microchipped to determine owners. Owners do not chip the dogs because the breeds are banned- but shoot- list the chip in another address outside the area for God sake..

caseysmom
12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
My daughter and I started volunteering at a shelter in a neighboring county this past weekend, this county does not allow junior volunteers.

I was so impressed with their program, they truly care about the animals. Sadly some animals do get euthanized though, the ones that are too aggressive or sick are humanly euthanized, they are not proud of it but they do take pride in doing it correctly and painlessly.

Although this thread wasn't meant to be about breed bans but since it was brought up, he said the breed's that have the bad raps are the ones they have the least trouble with. Thanksfully this shelter knows better.

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Casseysmom- our shelter knows too. The manager quit because of the ruling- I just wanted to say the breed clubs did not even attend the state wide announced hearing on the banning of breeds- making keeping them for adoption at a shelter illegal. It just makes me sick.
For a while- some of us were going down there pretending to be the owners sending in cousins etc from outside the area. After awhile they caught on to this and we had to totally discrib the dog to even see them.
I wish they could have a law like this where PTS is outlawed. For years here, there was woman that ran a no kill shelter. It was an unspoken fact to get the adoptions from her, so she could make room to get from the shelters to keep the dogs at least moving. However- she died last year. The shelter is now run by a trust fund she set up while she was alive, and of course- private donations.
I watch the shows about Houston animal shelters etc. And some of those shows at least they say " since this breed is illegl in this county, the dog will be take to a rescue shelter to be adopted outside the county." On the next show they say " since no rescue was able to take the dogs, they were humanly euthenized." .. .. Doesnt this make you sad? It does me also madder than a wet hen...

caseysmom
12-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Well I don't believe that no kill shelters are really possible, it is irresponsible to send an aggressive animal..cat or dog out into the community.

caseysmom
12-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Well all breeds have characteristics that they are bred for, not all match that though. I won't get into the breeds they actually have had the most trouble with...it is not what everyone would think and I wouldn't want to hurt somebody's feeling for every breed there is someone on here who that is their baby, I respect that and love all breeds. Most people on here love all animals as it should be.

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I just hope this works to make a presidence of something ...

caseysmom
12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Just a note...I wasn't replying to myself up above...a post got deleted...

note to self...when replying to someone's remarks always use the quote function!!!!

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Just a note...I wasn't replying to myself up above...a post got deleted...

note to self...when replying to someone's remarks always use the quote function!!!!
lolllllllll I am sorry honey- I did that. To me I was just pointing out how even some breeds do not adopt out well because of prior loyality, and you loving pointed out it might look like a comment made at peoples beloved breed. I deleted it, as I didnt see that point at the time.
Caseysmom is right- lol.. She was talking to me.. lol.. I apologize caseysmom!

Anita Cholaine
12-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Well I don't believe that no kill shelters are really possible, it is irresponsible to send an aggressive animal..cat or dog out into the community.

I was thinking about that... what will they do with aggressive animals. I don't think the new law is very clear about that, but I guess that they will still be PTS.
It's so sad, we had so many dogs attacks this year. Most of them were, in my opinion, the owners' fault. Lots of people are getting rottweilers, pitt bulls and dogos argentinos just for safety reasons. They keep them chained in the backyard with just food and a very little attention, and that's why they end up attacking someone they shouldn't.

Suki Wingy
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Eh, I guess this is good as a whole but I've seen the horrors of dogs living at the shelter in small kennel runs for years. :(

lizbud
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I am unable to read your article, but if the government bans the PTS
procedure they should then have a plan for getting private vets to do all
the spay/neuter surgeries. i hope they have a follow up plan to actually
make a big difference for the animals.

CathyBogart
12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I hope it works out well.

Perhaps the shelters will do what some no-kills around here do...pass the animals they want PTS on to animal control or some other organization so they can do it. SOMETHING has to be done with the extra animals, and letting them sit in a kennel and go mad if they aren't adopted is not the solution IMO.

caseysmom
12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Cathy, You are right that is what happens the animals are passed on to the shelters that do euthanize so the "no kill" part just means not there.