View Full Version : Parents Sleep As Pup Chews Off Baby's Toes

pitc9
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
OMG! :eek:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/10514915/detail.html

Parents Sleep As Pup Chews Off Baby's Toes
Vet Thinks 6-Week-Old Puppy Tried To Nurse

POSTED: 7:22 am EST December 12, 2006

BOSSIER CITY, La. -- A Louisiana couple is facing negligence charges after a puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes.

They told police they were awakened by their 1-month-old baby's cries on Sunday morning, saw her mangled foot and rushed her to the hospital. But doctors couldn't reattach the toes.

A veterinarian speculates the 6-week-old pit bull puppy might have been trying to nurse.

"She had a severe injury to one foot, with most of the toes missing," Bossier City spokesman Mark Natale told The Shreveport Times. "Patrol officers who responded notified detectives, and after our juvenile detectives unit looked into it, they determined the child, who had been sleeping in a baby carrier next to her parents, had been bitten by the family's pit bull puppy, who appears to have gnawed on the child's foot."

Natale told the newspaper that the parents took a mattress into their living room to watch television and fell asleep. The child was in an infant seat beside them when the pup began chewing on her toes.

"They did not see the dog injuring the child," Natale said.

The animal will be quarantined for 10 days and checked for rabies since it is too young to have had rabies shots. It's unclear what will happen to it after that.

The baby is now in foster care until the case against her parents is settled. Her parents, Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, have been booked for investigation of child desertion and criminal negligence.

If convicted, the parents face a fine of up to $500 and up to six months in prison

ramanth
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Oiy vey!!! *slaps forehead* Puppies CHEW! Give the puppy proper toys and put the baby out of reach of said dog if you are going to fall asleep. Morons!!

Now the baby is injured and the puppy will be punished for doing what puppies do best which is CHEW!

:mad: :(

elizabethann
12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
My boss just told me about this! That poor baby and that poor puppy!

critter crazy
12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
How the hell could the parents not notice something was wrong?? you gonna tell me that a baby isnt going to scream, its head off as a dog is chewing on its foot??? I mean come on, how long was that kid screaming before the parents paid any attention!!! There is no way those parents were in the same room, and if they were they had to have been drugged out of there minds not to hear that babys blood curdling screams!!!!:mad:

Husky_mom
12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
what??? were the parents made of rock??.....how can you not hear/notice your baby/puppy noises......while just beside you??.....i hear mine even if they are way far...........

poor baby and poor puppy they were just in a realy bad "family".........

jackmilliesmom
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Hello parents should be locked up or put to sleep they did not deserve to have a child or a puppy what is wrong with them. A pup will chew or try to nurse and the child should have been in a safe place anyway not just a chair or whatever - what were they thinking - idiots - the pup should be removed and given to a responsible owner and trained properly.I feel sorry for society if the parents are let away with this - this child should be taken away permanently....

Luvin Labs
12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
wow that poor kid and poor puppy.

if they were going to nap they shoulda put the pup in another room or a cage or outside or something.

:(

GreyhoundGirl
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
:eek: :eek: And now the pup will end up punished. For being a pup.

I really hope it doesn't have rabies though... scary thought.

:( :mad:

lizbud
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
They should have the baby & the the pup taken away from them.

GreyhoundGirl
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Agreed, they don't deserve such wonderful creatures in their care.

areias
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Similar thing happened a few years ago, but they euthanized the puppy, to make sure his fingers were in there!

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/10/15/Hillsborough/6_year_old_boy_loses_.shtml

TAMPA - A family puppy, a chow and pit bullterrier mix, chewed four fingers off the paralyzed hand of a 6-year-old boy Monday as the child slept.

Dontavius Bryant, of 3507 E McBerry St. in Tampa, was still at St. Joseph's Hospital Tuesday, recovering from the injuries to his hand.

A neighbor said the boy and his family ate corndogs for dinner Sunday night, and like many youngsters, he may have forgotten to wash his hands before going to bed. The scent may have been what led the dog to chew on the child's fingers, said Diona Thomas, 35, a family friend who lives two doors down.

Police said while the boy slept, his family's puppy, a 51/2-week-old chow and pit bull mix, chewed four fingers off Dontavius' left hand.

Police said Dontavius, whose left hand was paralyzed from a hit-and-run accident last year, never felt a thing.

Dontavius' older brother, asleep next to him in the bed, woke up when he thought Dontavius had urinated in the bed. He turned on the lights.

"He saw blood all over the place," said Thomas.

Police said the puppy had chewed Dontavius' fingers down to his second knuckles.

Jerrolyn "Shawn" Dewberry, 27, rushed her son to St. Joseph's Hospital shortly after the 5 a.m. attack on Monday, police said. Dontavius remained at St. Joe's Tuesday night in good condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

"He's talking and moving around," Thomas said after visiting Dontavius, called "Tay-Tay" by his family. "I guess it didn't hit him yet. He was (at the hospital) playing Nintendo."

She said Dontavius attends kindergarten at Potter Elementary School. Dewberry remained at St. Joseph's with her son Tuesday, Thomas said; she could not be reached for comment.

Hillsborough animal control euthanized the puppy and performed a necropsy, police said, finding parts of Dontavius' fingers inside the dog's stomach.

Police hadn't filed any charges in the case as of Tuesday night. They said the investigation is continuing.

In October 2002, the driver of a pickup hit Dontavius and drove away. The hit-and-run left Dontavius partially paralyzed, without any feeling in his left hand, police said.

Thomas said Dontavius' hand felt "real soft" because of the accident. .

Dontavius and his two older brothers had received the puppy as a gift from their aunt two to three weeks ago, Thomas said; they called the puppy "Chaka."

"I believe the dog didn't know what he was doing," Thomas said. "He was friendly. Everybody loved him."

momoffuzzyfaces
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I saw that on the news. I felt so sorry for the puppy. He was sitting there shaking he was so frightened!!!

I'm sorry for the baby too!!!

How could the parents sleep so soundly that they couldn't hear their baby who was supposed to be right beside them, screaming her head off???? :mad:

You know she started screaming at the first nibble!!!

The poor puppy may be teething himself and didn't know what he was doing.

:(

CathyBogart
12-12-2006, 01:01 PM
How could anyone think a six week old puppy....with needle-sharp teeth, who hasn't learned yet what is and is not appropriate play behavior whould be left unattended with an infant!? I hope that puppy is able to find someone with at least two brain cells to rub together to take care of him.

pitc9
12-12-2006, 01:06 PM
OMG!
areias... I can't believe there's another story like it!
Wow.... it's sad all the way around.
Well.. not the parents in the story I posted about, they just need to never have kids or animals again for ever.
But the story you posted... holy CRAP!
That's all I can... holy C-R-A-P!!!

areias
12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
OMG!
areias... I can't believe there's another story like it!
Wow.... it's sad all the way around.
Well.. not the parents in the story I posted about, they just need to never have kids or animals again for ever.
But the story you posted... holy CRAP!
That's all I can... holy C-R-A-P!!!

I think it was sad-although I believe no one is to blame in my story, the puppy still got PTS.

I don't understand the parents in your article-how can you not hear your baby screaming? When it's right next to you? I smell foul play.

lvpets2002
12-12-2006, 03:18 PM
:confused: Why are we even still calling them Parents.. They are not Parents THey Are Morons.. All well said critter crazy..
How the hell could the parents not notice something was wrong?? you gonna tell me that a baby isnt going to scream, its head off as a dog is chewing on its foot??? I mean come on, how long was that kid screaming before the parents paid any attention!!! There is no way those parents were in the same room, and if they were they had to have been drugged out of there minds not to hear that babys blood curdling screams!!!!:mad:

Muddy4paws
12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
oh my god, Some people dont deserve children, I hope for both of them that the dog didn't have rabies.

I own a black lab and she is fantastic with children she loves them to pieces but there is no way on earth I would let her be alone with them.

I hope that baby goes somewhere she will be loved in a proper family.

buttercup132
12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif And now the pup will end up punished. For being a pup. Not because it's a puppy because it's a PIT BULL puppy:rolleyes:
This would be a example of the idiots who shouldn't own this breed.
What complete morons. I agree with what other people have said about the parents.

shortly after the 5 a.m. attack Once again because it's mixed with TWO breeds people think are bad dogs the puppies teething get's turned into a ATTACK. Puppies don't attack...

Kfamr
12-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Grrrreeat. Idiots once again chalk up a bad name for the Pit Bull. Why the flip was a 6 week old puppy left alone with a child?!!?
And that poor baby. They are in no way capable for caring for either, obviously. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dogzr#1
12-12-2006, 05:17 PM
O...M...G. I didn't think they're were parents this...'non-parenty'. But seriously, if I had a one month baby, I wouldn't fall asleep on the floor, with her right next to me ALSO ON THE FLOOR, with a six week old, TEETHING puppy roaming freely. The 'parents' either had to be stoned, or super drunk to not be able to hear the baby. I'm sure at the first LICK, the baby would have gotten startled and put up a racket and wouldn't have stopped crying until it got what it wanted or if it cried itself to sleep or something.

I'm sure the press/media is going to make the puppy sound vicious because it was a pit puppy. It's sad. It was acting like EVERY OTHER puppy would. If it was 6wks old, it should still be with his mother and it probably wanted her still. The baby's toes were so little and the pup started suckling and started knawing on them because she was teething. Not her fault!

The parents should be locked up for a VERY VERY VERY long time! :mad: :(

Sevaede
12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
You should have seen the video. That poor puppy was trembling and so scared. The parents did look like they were very heavy into meth or crack. We believe that they used the puppy as a scapegoat for something they did.

He is a gorgeous tan colour with very pretty blue eyes.

We are going to try and help him.

luvofallhorses
12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
wtf?! :mad: now this dog will probably get
the death sentence because of those idiots
because of it's breed!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
that pisses me hell off!!!!
I also feel sorry for the baby. however, I have NO sympathy for the parents being so stupid. they'll get what's coming to them.
what losers!!!
:mad: :mad:

moosmom
12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
What the hell was this baby doing sleeping on the floor in a car seat instead of a crib??? :mad: :mad:

This is yet another example of people who have no business having children let alone a pet.

That poor dog. It wasn't his fault. I hope they throw the book at those idiotic people.

Twisterdog
12-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I would imagine the parents were either not anywhere near the baby, and trying to cover the fact up. Or they really were right there, and either wasted out of the minds or passed out cold.

Stupid people should neither breed nor own pets.

If I ruled the world (perish that thought!), the puppy and baby would both find new loving homes, and the parents would be euthanized.

DJFyrewolf36
12-13-2006, 04:39 AM
I would imagine the parents were either not anywhere near the baby, and trying to cover the fact up. Or they really were right there, and either wasted out of the minds or passed out cold.

Stupid people should neither breed nor own pets.

If I ruled the world (perish that thought!), the puppy and baby would both find new loving homes, and the parents would be euthanized.

I think they were no where NEAR the kid either or something funky was going on. I wonder when exactly it happend in comparison to when they called the police. That poor dog didn't have a clue, it SHOULD have still been with its mother or at least being looked after constantly, just like the infant should have been.
I've delt with six week old puppies, they don't attack, at least none I've never been around.

TamanduaGirl
12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I don't have a link to it but some time back there was a case where a chihuahua killed a baby. Now I don't know the details but it was on the news so a real case. I would think they must have left the dog alone with the baby.

You just don't leave a baby alone with any kind of animal. some people can sleep through earthquakes but if that's the case you know and before you doze off put everything right but still one of them should have been a normal light sleeper if they weren't druggies or just total idiots and just left the baby alone and came home to that.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
You should have seen the video. That poor puppy was trembling and so scared. The parents did look like they were very heavy into meth or crack. We believe that they used the puppy as a scapegoat for something they did.

He is a gorgeous tan colour with very pretty blue eyes.

We are going to try and help him.
I saw the video and it broke my heart!!! The puppy was so frightened. I wondered if he had been beaten when I saw that!!! I sure hope someone can help him. :(

Miss Z
12-13-2006, 02:07 PM

I agree there! It makes it even more sad that the puppy was a pit bull, and I'm sure that fact will not help at all :( . A baby and an animal shouldn't be in a room together anyway when an adult is not around, IMO.

lvpets2002
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
:mad: It just makes me so sick to even think of these adults & their Incomputance.. Somehow I missed the video.. I would hope these people would get more punishment than that & then sterilized.. This baby will be taken away & of course you know the adults will be having another baby.. This baby now has to live with this all of his/her life & pay dearly in life.. The poor puppy needs to be in a new Mature Adult home for a new beginning of life.. I wish the pup was close to me & I for sure would give this baby a new home & life..

#1Wolflover
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Not because it's a puppy because it's a PIT BULL puppy:rolleyes:
This would be a example of the idiots who shouldn't own this breed.
What complete morons. I agree with what other people have said about the parents.

Once again because it's mixed with TWO breeds people think are bad dogs the puppies teething get's turned into a ATTACK. Puppies don't attack...
actually a pitbull isn't a mean dog its all on how there raised :)

kittycats_delight
12-13-2006, 05:10 PM
actually a pitbull isn't a mean dog its all on how there raised :)

I don't think everyone is trying to say the dog will get a bum rap because it is a pittie. Not that pitties are mean dogs. Beside no dog at 6 weeks old is mean. The puppy was just being a puppy IF that is really what happened. BUT I do NOT believe for 1 microsecond this story happened as the socalled parents said. Some is mighty strange in this situation.

Weinsrubber I pay to god you can help this baby before some other idiot hands him a death sentence just for being a pittie.

cyber-sibes
12-13-2006, 06:31 PM
How the hell could the parents not notice something was wrong?? you gonna tell me that a baby isnt going to scream, its head off as a dog is chewing on its foot??? I mean come on, how long was that kid screaming before the parents paid any attention!!! There is no way those parents were in the same room, and if they were they had to have been drugged out of there minds not to hear that babys blood curdling screams!!!!:mad:My thoughts exactly! Poor puppy, this probably won't turn out well for him. I can just hear it "...now that he's tasted human flesh..." I think I'll add him to my prayer list. (and the baby girl of course)

elizabethann
12-15-2006, 10:21 AM
If you go to CNN.COM, they are doing a story on the little puppy and how people are trying to adopt it. He's all curled up in a ball sleeping - very cute.

The video was smack dab in the middle of the page...cnn.com.

ramanth
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up! What a sweet little pup. I hope they decide to give the pup a break and find him a new home.

Although I must say I didn't care for the accusatory mention that the public seems more concerned about the puppy than the child. The child will at least be placed with family or in foster care and properly cared for. The puppy may not get that chance because of the stigmata the media puts on it's breed, so it's only sensible to focus on the puppy vs. the baby.

mike001
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I must be behind on news, I never heard this before. I wonder if the parents should have the baby and the pup removed.

elizabethann
12-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up! What a sweet little pup. I hope they decide to give the pup a break and find him a new home.

Although I must say I didn't care for the accusatory mention that the public seems more concerned about the puppy than the child. The child will at least be placed with family or in foster care and properly cared for. The puppy may not get that chance because of the stigmata the media puts on it's breed, so it's only sensible to focus on the puppy vs. the baby.

I didn't like that mention either. :mad:

junescrater716
12-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Stupid parents. People like that shouldn't have kids.

Sevaede
12-16-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4931876.html

Why don't people feel sorry for the baby?! People DO feel sorry for the baby! But the baby is not going to be PUT TO SLEEP BECAUSE OF SOMEONE ELSES NEGLIGENCE AND ABUSE.

finn's mom
12-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I read the article linked above, and, I can understand the confusion and even the irritation on their part as to why they're getting so much more of an outpour for the dog and not for the child. It's not so much that the baby won't be put to sleep, but, the puppy might...I think it's more that this child isn't with family, now (despite how dysfunctional his parents are, they're still his family), and, the future of the child is uncertain. I'm sure he'll be fine, and probably not even be emotionally traumatized by the situation of being injured in such a fashion and removed from his home...But I'm sure he will have physical problems missing that many digits. I don't know much about it, but, I would think it would cause balance problems, and, I don't know how much they can do to fix that. And, I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the people getting the mail about this situation and the people taking the calls as well...as much as I love animals and would be proud of the outpour of concern for the dog...I think I might be a little embarassed that the outpour of concern for a human child isn't at least equal to it. That's just my two cents. I'm pleased to see so many people concerned for the puppy, but, I'm a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be much concern for the baby. You can actually voice your concern for both. (And, I am not pointing out anyone specific by saying "you", I'm just referring to people in general.)

junescrater716
12-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Instead of putting the puppy to sleep why don't they to the parents. Dumb people. If the PARENTS had been watching THEIR KID the kid would still have it's toes and the puppy might still have it's life. I hate people like that who just float through life without a care in the world. :mad: :mad: :o :mad: :( :mad:

cyber-sibes
12-16-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't see why the officials are having such a hard time understanding this - it's pretty safe to assume the baby will be cared for, loved, and have a full life. Since the fate of the child is pretty secure, people are expressing concern for the uncertain fate of the puppy. It's too young to have intentionally "mauled" someone- for cripes' sake, it's only 2 weeks older than the infant! But it may well be killed for this. I'm sure there are many many people praying for the little girl's recovery too. They just don't feel it's urgent to intervene to plead for her life, as do those asking about the puppy.
Is that really so hard to understand?

Twisterdog
12-16-2006, 03:42 PM
I can see both sides of this ... the people who feel it's importanat to voice their concern for the life of the puppy, and the people who feel it's sad that the puppy seems to be getting more attention than that of the child. I'm not saying anyone is "right" or anyone is "wrong" in the matter, just that I can see both sides.

It is indeed a terrible tragedy that the puppy may be put to sleep for this. Of course, it would be far better simply to re-home the puppy into an anonymous, good home and let it go at that. Of course it's not the puppy's fault, and it should be punished in no way for this.

OTOH, I do not necesarily think it is as cut and dried with the baby as some may think it is. As anyone who is at all familar with the social services system knows, there are far, far more children needing foster care than there are foster families available. The road from negligent home to foster home (almost always more than one), to hopefully adoptive family is a long road, riddled with red tape, court hearings, legal loopholes, and heart-wrenching problems for the children involved. Of course the baby is in no fear of losing his life, but his life is by means going to be easy. Not to mention the fact that he will have a physical handicap for the rest of his life. No one knows, of course, at this point how severe it will be or what can be done to alleviate some of it, but I don't think there is any doubt that losing toes is going to be a physical problem. Toes are actually crucial for balance, although most of us don't ever think it about it that way.

I would imagine the social workers who spend their long days seeing all types of abuse and neglect of children are especially focused on children ... just as people who spent their days dealing with animals are especially focused on animals. I think it is neither wrong for one to be more vocal about the puppy or the baby ... both are innocent victims.

lizbud
12-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Did anyone listen to the guy in the video explain that their animal
shelter has a practice of NOT adopting out any pit bull animals. So the
people calling about adoption won't be given a chance to adopt this puppy.

They don't adopt out pit bulls is the nice (?) way of saying the pup will
be put down. :( All this hurt & sadness because of two stupid people. :(

Sevaede
12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
It is still the differences between losing one life and there being no risk at all for the other. That's why people are focusing on it.

finn's mom
12-18-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess I just don't see how there's no risk at all to the baby. Either way, though, I've voiced my concern for both baby and puppy. Both are victims. (And, that is all I'm saying. :D )

luckies4me
12-24-2006, 01:40 AM
There was an update on the news saying that the ferret was indeed the culprit of the bites, NOT the puppy. I now wonder what will happen to the pup? Will it be able to be adopted out, or still be euthanized because it is a pitbull? It should be at the shelter in the first place. It did nothing wrong!

luckies4me
12-24-2006, 01:46 AM
BOSSIER CITY, Louisiana (AP) -- A couple whose baby's toes were gnawed off by a family pet will accept a deal from the prosecutor and plead guilty to improper child supervision, their attorney said.

Under the agreement, Mary and Christopher Hansche would plead guilty to misdemeanor charges of improper supervision of their child, perform community service, attend parenting classes and give up their pets -- a pit bull puppy and a ferret.

The charge carries up to six months in jail and a $250 fine.

They will remain jailed until the January 3 hearing and a judge will decide if they do more jail time after that, as well as who gets custody of the baby girl.

Public defender Pam Smart told KTBS-TV she met with the Hansches on Friday and they agreed to plead guilty in the case.

The Hansches were arrested December 7 after they woke up and saw that one of their pets had gnawed off four of their month-old daughter's toes. The couple had been asleep on a mattress on the floor with the infant in a carrier next to them.

Mary Hansche, 22, said the ferret did it. Police said Christopher Hansche, 26, thought the dog was responsible.

The animals will be offered for adoption rather than be euthanized, Bossier Parish District Attorney Schuyler Marvin told the news station.

Marvin said he believes there were enough mitigating circumstances in the case to offer a plea agreement, with conditions. "I certainly don't think they had the intent to cause harm to their child," Marvin told KTBS. "A lapse in judgment, I think, is what happened."

The baby was released from the hospital this week; she and her 2-year-old brother are now in the care of a grandparent.

~~~~~~
What do you think? Do you think they will really offer the dog for adoption or do you think they will go ahead and euthanize it? If indeed the ferret did do this it should be available to a family that does not have small children...just in case the pet ever does escape.

Sevaede
12-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Just so nobody gets confused.. Shreveport and Bossier City, although in diff parishes (technically) are right next to each other. It's like Dallas/Fort Worth or Eugene/Springfield.

Bossier City Animal Control has a policy of not adopting out pit bulls because of the crime and dog fighting and junk in this area. But I think because this has been overwhelming and they *may* adopt him out. We have some competent rescues in the area so I hope one of them is able to get him and into a foster home.

DJFyrewolf36
12-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Im glad the parents are being held accountable, and that there is a ray of hope for the poor dog that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

luckies4me
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
or Eugene/Springfield.

I love how you used Eugene and Springfield, LOL. :p

Miss Z
12-24-2006, 10:27 AM
That is good news that the parents have pleaded guilty to improper child supervision. I hope all works out well for the pup and the kid.

Sevaede
12-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I love how you used Eugene and Springfield, LOL. :p

Hehe! I knew ya would! :p

jackie
12-25-2006, 12:25 AM
This makes me feel sick to my stomach, the poor baby.

How could the parents be sleeping right next to her when it happened?

I am just at a loss for words.

wombat2u2004
12-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow....nothing like that happens here in
Aussieland !!!!

ramanth
12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I do hope that animal control stays true to their word and lets those pets find new homes.

pitc9
12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I do hope that animal control stays true to their word and lets those pets find new homes.

Me too!!