PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell your cats apart by just the feel of their fur?

moosmom
12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
For all you multi-cat households, if you close your eyes and pet your cats, can you tell who is who??

I can. Maya Linn's fur is a little coarser than the others. Mollie Rose is soft and Shortie's fur is the softest. MooShoo, well, no guess there!! :p

Edwina's Secretary
12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't know about fur...but I can tell without looking which one jumped on the bed....

Catty1
12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
One long hair, one short hair....I cheat! :D

critter crazy
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
well since i only have one YES!!!! he he he he he!!!:D

slick
12-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I voted Yes because of when Speckles was with me. Her fur was kind of stiff while Max's fur is very soft. If I heard footsteps on the bed, one touch would tell me who it was.

Craftlady
12-12-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm the only "no"
What tells my gang apart is body type and tails. :)

jenluckenbach
12-12-2006, 04:50 AM
Not all, but some.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-12-2006, 05:14 AM
Yes, I can.

Sebastian: Coarse
Amadeus: Soft as a Rabbits Fur
Augustus: Long haired :p

Pam
12-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Yes. Though mine are both short haired, Andy's is a little bit longer and more silky.

CultureJunky
12-12-2006, 05:19 AM
I can, Sunny's fur is quite coarse, wheras Jack's is very soft, kind of like a rabbits!

Killearn Kitties
12-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Daisy's fur is softer than Sam's, although I can tell who it is by the position they land on the bed. Also in the dark Daisy's purr is deafening!

If Jessica was ever inclined to jump on the bed and I sleepily made the mistake of patting her, well she would be the one biting my fingers!

catlover4ever
12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm like Jen...not all but some, actually I can tell all of them except for Gracie and Gabriel....I have to feel length and belly size for those two. Gabriel is long and hardly any belly and Gracie is shorter and a little belly pouch hanging from her midsection. :eek:

Smokey has very course fur.

Tucker is a big puff ball and your fingers sink into her fur.

Mystic is a silky course fur.

Abner is the only one with long hair but he is the softest cat I have ever had....I could just run my fingers through his fur all day long.

Gracie is just a little bit softer than Gabriel but I still need to feel the tummies.

Vegas well I have to admit that his broken, stub of a tail is how I can tell him apart, it's not his fur.

Freedom
12-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Some. Even though short haired, Chestnut's is coarser than the other short hairs in this house

I can tell shape and tails, and the thud on the bed usually is Sparkle, mommie's girl.

Barbara
12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Easy one- Filou has a diver's suit of a coat and Tigris a big Russian fur coat ;)

Laura's Babies
12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Samantha's fur is like velvet. Giz of coarse, has longer fur. Chester and Amy's fur is about the same but their body types are different so soon as you touch them, you can tell which one it is.

Logan
12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I voted "yes", although I only have one cat right now (we're working on Daddy about that ;) ). But, when Mimi was still here, it was very obvious "who was who", as Mimi had really long hair and Butter's hair is quite short.

Logan

catnapper
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Yup, all of them have vastly different fur, excpet my first two. Allen and Pouncer have what I call "typical cat fur" - about 80% of the cats in the rescue feel just like them. I can usually tell one from the other based on their body response to my touch though :p

Harry has very bristly fur. Its rough and not the nicest fur to pet, which is llucky since he hates being petted.

Abby has fur like satin. I could pet her all day, which is lucky because she'd love to be petted all day (well not right now since she's still running from me :()

Flutter feels like a bunny rabbit :)

catmandu
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I can tell my Meezers from the Non Meezers as the Meezer Furs a lot softer.
I was having trouble telling Michael and Miquelito apart, but now Miquelito is getting bigger, and Micheal is shrinking.
Princess has a mmrreeeeooow when I pet her, and Precious has a motor boat rumble purr.
The softest Cat is JJJ3 whos like silk.

Zippy
12-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Yep! :)
Zippy's fur is softer then Pumpkins

sumbirdy
12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Stormie's hair is softer and a little bit longer than Aza's

Lizzie
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
By fur alone, I can tell Macduff's (medium long and rather course), B.L. (long and silky), Taranis (basic short hair but with mats that cause me to get bitten daily as I try to deal with them), Surya (short and a bit sparse and dry), Belle (medium long and silky but with a tendency to clump in places), Cattulus (incredibly soft and with very loose skin), Darcy (also incredibly soft but less loose skin), Nougat (Siamese, soft and very dense), Ginger (my very old lady whose fur feels like an old lady's), Dude (rather course and rough to go with his life). The rest are all short hair and I would probably get a few of them mixed up so it would be body size that would tell me if I was touching Luke or LOS, Dagda or Maeve, Tom or Pete, Thumper, Ashley or Raven.

We should have another thread/poll to see who can tell which cat jumped on the bed in the dark.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh yes!!!!
Maya has short and very thick fur, semi-soft.

Inka has long silky fur, very widdle

Zazou has such soft long fur, never has any tangled hair

Snoopy has very short coarse fur

carole
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Absolutely Donna, each cat i have is completely different, Ash although short haired has incredibly thick fur,Ellie-Mae is more coarser, her daughter Nikki has the most beautiful fur of them all , i call her my velveteen Rabbit because is almost as soft as a rabbits,well close, and Lexie's is different again, not sure how to describe hers really, and as i am still allergic to my furbabies,some cats fur affect me more than others, i think Ash is probably the worst. :)

ramanth
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Zam has very soft fur while Logan's is a bit more corse. Same with Kia and Chipper. Kia = soft; Chipper = corse. :D

lvpets2002
12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Of course with my babies.. I know for sure by the feel of their hair..

RedHedd
12-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Very definitely. Mishi's is long and silky. Mitzi's is very plush and coarse.

Catlady711
12-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Yep!

Does it have short hair? then it's either Cami, Bear, or Dusty.
Does it have ears & tail?? if not then it's Dusty, if yes proceed on
Does it have a large head, and flabby belly? if yes it's Bear if not it's Cami

Does it have medium hair? Then it's either Jack or Pooky
Does it have a fat tail? if yes and it growls when you pet the tail then it's Jack, if not then it's Pooky.

If/When ever the kittens get full roam of the house I'll have to wait a bit to see if I can identify them in the dark or not.

As for specifically just fur..

Pooky has very silky rabbit like fur,
Jack has soft but coarser fur than Pooky
Bear has short but thick fur
Cami has short but silky fur
Dusty has old kitty fur kinda coarse.

Don Juan's mom
12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Mine are both shorthairs, but:

Don Juan has a coarse outer coat and soft fluffy undercoat.
Zerlina's hair is short, smooth and incredibly silky.

:D

Liz

jazzcat
12-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Yes I can with my five big cats but I have a feeling it may get harder once Moxie and Decker are grown. I think Moxie's fur will feel a lot like Jazz.

luvofallhorses
12-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, because Tiger's tail was broken when he was dumped on the highway with another cat. :( it's healed now but with a kink on it.

The Cat Factory
12-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes...

Peppurr has very soft fur.
Zeus has long hair.
Homer has weird fur, his white fur is really soft, and his orange fur is coarse.

kimlovescats
12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Most definitely! I bet I could know every single one of them!!! Isn't it amazing? :D