PDA

View Full Version : Do you look your age?

Pembroke_Corgi
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I always thought I did- until we moved to Colorado. Here I've been mistaken for a high-schooler so often it's starting to get irritating. In about 10 years I don't think I'll mind getting mistaken for a younger person, but I don't appreciate how people think they can talk down to me when they assume I'm 17.

I'm not sure if it's just because the piano studio I work at has a lot of junior teachers so they assume I'm in high school too, but I'm getting tired of being asked what grade I'm in. I just say "I'm in graduate school." :p

It's really weird, actually- my husband's co-workers think he's younger, too. He's 27, and ummmm, well, his hair is thinning, among other things (I think he looks around 27- closer to 30 than 20) and they think he's 22!! Maybe people in Colorado just need their eyes adjusted. ;)

So, do people mistake your age?

cyber-sibes
12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
People always think my husband & I are younger than we are. I used to mind when I was alot younger, but now I don't mind at all! ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
People always tell me I look younger than I am. I'm often guessed to be 14 or 15...not too far off from what I actually am, but far enough.

LeahMM
12-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I've always had that dillema. ;) I was carded up until I was about 31. I don't get carded any more though. :(

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
i once got asked if i was 12... :o

slick
12-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I must admit that time has been very good to me...well my face anyway. I'm 54 and have been told by many people that I look mid to late 30's. Hey, I'll take that anyday. :D I attribute it to staying away from the sunshine, staying away from all makeup, and using Vit E cream on my face everyday. Well, I'd like to think that's the reason.

What would really make my feel young is if I'm asked for ID in the liquor store. :cool:

luvofallhorses
12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Nope. people say I look like I am 17 and I am 21. :D

Argranade
12-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm 16 but if I put my hair in 2 braides I can look like I'm 12 or somthen lol,

I was not realy hungrey and wanted a kids meal but it said ages 10 and up ... I passed and got my chicken Mc nuggets :D, the average age people say I look is 13 .. so I geuss it's a good thing :/, alot of times when I say I'm 16 some kids start laughing as saying ''ya right lol'' ... :rolleyes:

critter crazy
12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
people often say i loo much younger. i had a guy ask me once if i was 18, i was 28!!!:o

TamanduaGirl
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
people always think I'm younger than I am. Usualy about 10yrs younger than for real but still get a decent number of people thinking I'm in my teens.

davidpizzica
12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm 58, but a lot of people mistake me for being in my late forties! I have a gray moustache and goatee, yet I still get that compliment. I love it!

junescrater716
12-11-2006, 09:53 PM
It's sad I'm in eighth grade people thought I was in tenth. :( Wow I'm aging badly at thirteen!!! lol

Almita
12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm 14 and a lot of people think i'm mature for my age. They mostly think i'm either 16 or 17. Which i think is weird.

manda_moo87
12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Most people say I look my age, a few have thought I'm a bit younger.

RedHedd
12-11-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm 55 and people tell me all the time that I look to be in my early 40's. I'll take it! I sure don't FEEL 55 on most days; and then there are the days I feel 85. I'm just glad to be up and around on THIS side of the earth :p

areias
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Ever since I was about 13, people have that I was older. I'm 19 now, and just the other day someone thought I was in my late twenties! Almost everyone I meet dosen't believe I'm only 19-most think I'm at least old enough to drink.

molucass
12-11-2006, 11:51 PM
People seem to think I am around 16.
I'm 21 and I think it is rather annoying.

But I guess it will be a good thing when I'm older.

.sarah
12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I've been thought to be 2 years older than I am for most of my life. When I was younger it was because I was so tall, but since I was 14 or so people have told me it's because I act more mature than other teenagers, yet I don't look any older than 2 or so years older than I am? Something like that :p I'm almost 18 now and when I go to restaurants I am asked if I want an alcoholic drink. And people usually ask if I'm 19 or 20, but I almost never am asked if I'm 17/18.

Karen
12-12-2006, 12:09 AM
No one has ever been able to guess my age. When I was 18, people thought I was older, I guess because I wasn't flighty or something. But this summer I had a hard time convincing anyone of of my real age when I had my birthday, and then when we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, people didn't believe me about that, either - I got asked "What were you - 12 when you got married?" Um, no, 22 ...

But I recently was talking to someone I would have guessed to be at least 10-15 years older than me, and she was 4 years older! Maybe she's what people expect?

Being a pasty-white white girl, I never did "lay out" to tan like many friends, so that probably has a lot to do with it - that, and genetics. My mother had her first child at one month shy of age 30, and yet, 5 years later, people would still ask her "Oh, honey, whose kids are you babysitting?" because they assumed she was a teenybopper!

K9karen
12-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Maybe it's the altitude!!! :D :D

Join the crowd. I looked so young that I had an awful time getting my first job. I was carded and my friends were not. I hated it!

But...there will come a time when, believe me, you'll WISH you were carded and looked as young as you do now! Although my hair is greying, I'm still mistaken for younger ,,,AND I LOVE IT!! Compared to my friends (sorry girls), I look so much better. So pleeezzzzzeee CARD ME ANY TIME!!!!

Sevaede
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
My husband got carded when he bought cigarettes the other day. The woman at the counter couldn't believe he just turned 30! He is darn good looking if I do say so myself. ;)

People don't really know what to think. Most think I am younger. I have been asked by several waiters and waitresses if I would like alcoholic beverages, as well. :o

jackmilliesmom
12-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Sometimes but do not know why - attached is a photo of myself and my husband about 2 - 3 years back how old would you say we are - give me an idea will post more up to date ones later but we still look the same....

chocolatepuppy
12-12-2006, 05:14 AM
People usually guess me to be younger than I am, thank goodness! :D

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 06:54 AM
I have been told I do not look my age. ( however lately I sure do feel like it). I have been told many times lately I look like I am in my early 30's, and when I was in my 30's, I looked in my 20's I was told.
People think my husband is a good deal older than I am. I think its because men can carry gray hair and look distinguished- if woman do- we look older.

Anita Cholaine
12-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm 16, and some people tend to think that I'm a little bit younger. Most of them say 15, but I still believe I look my age.

Someone asked me my age the other day, and he was surprised when I told him I was 16. He was sure I was 18 :rolleyes: I know I don't look like 18 t all.

sumbirdy
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm 17 and a lot of people ask me if I'm 13.

mruffruff
12-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, I haven't been carded for quite a while!

I went to dinner Saturday and didn't get the senior discount. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be flattered that I don't look old enough or hurt because I had to pay full price. :D

Although I'm 64, a lot of people here at work thought I was in my 40's until I let my hair go gray. :rolleyes: My mom looked good for her age until cancer took her, so it must be genetics.

catnapper
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I think I look my age, which is why I love making people fall over when I tell them I'm a grandmother! LOL

Logan
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
If I am ever carded, I KNOW for a fact that they must card everyone, regardless of age! :o

I think I look my age, 44, but I have been told, many times, that there is no way I am "that" old. My poor husband, who is 5 years younger than I am, is thought to be older than I am. I'm sure it is his gray hair. I have many gray hairs, but being a girl, I make sure to cover them as quickly as possible!!! :D

pitc9
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
When I was 15 and my sister was 18 people would always ask who was older. I loved it back then because I could pass for 18 when I was 15!

I'm 31 now and look like I'm 31 and I'm glad I still don't look older than my real age! :D

GreyhoundGirl
12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
People think I look 16. I'm actually 13. I don't see it, but apperentaly they do. :rolleyes:

lizbud
12-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes, I'm afraid so :D

Luvin Labs
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I used to be carded in liquor stores but not anymore *sigh* whether because they don't care or I don't look it.

but when people guess my age, its usually a few years younger than I am.

and people guess I am way younger on the phone (I sound like a kid).

:)

Zippy
12-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Most people say I look older.I have alwas been taller then average so I have been called the wrong age and gender(I have short hair and wear baggy clothes)a lot.I am 18 btw.

prechrswife
12-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I've always looked younger than my age, but it really hasn't bothered me since I hit 30. :) (I'm 34 now.)

carole
12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Well what a question to ask a woman embarking on entering the big 50 next year, when i was younger i was always mistaken for being a few years younger than i was, when i was 19 people thought i was about 16, which i hated, and for some years even into my fourties i guess i was assumed to be younger, but now i reckon i look my age,some people i went to school with have aged much worse than me, and some i think look better, it all depends on your genetics,your lifestyle, i don't smoke and i keep out of the sun, but i hate to think if i did both, i would be a wrinkled old prune by now lol, oh to turn back the clock,never mind just glad to be reaching that age . :) :D

flamepony12
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Some people tend to think I look younger, but act older. haha. I've had people look at my picture and say, "are you fourteen?" but I've also talked to people who ask my age and say, "you're only sixteen??"

xcolbi
12-12-2006, 03:50 PM
People say I'm mature for my age. I am more mature than most of the other 13 year old's I know though :p .

That happens to my Mom all the time. Her friend thought she was 25, when she's actually 35. She answered the phone one day and the person asked where her mother was!

animal_rescue
12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm 17 and often get mistaken for 13/14... yes it can be rediculous at times but eh I'll take it when I'm older! :D

Suki Wingy
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
When I was younger, I was always mistaken for at least a few years older, but I think sometimes my maturity level is a few years lower. Now I believe I look and act my age. (16)

Twisterdog
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Depends. I'm sure I look my age when I'm running around in my sweats with my hair in a ponytail and no makeup on.

But if I get dressed up to go out and do my hair and makeup ... especially if my step-daughter does my hair ... I must look a lot younger than I am. My husband get teased regularly for "robbing the cradle". People also have asked him, "Which one of your daughter is this?", to which he has to reply, "She's my WIFE, not one of my daughters." LOL

I actually got carded a few months ago. I told the bouncer, "Are you serious, honey? I could probably be your mother." He said, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. ID." I loved it. :D

Miss Z
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm often mistaken for about 18! I've been asked what I want to drink if I go up to a bar with my mum or dad, or sometimes when I'm just walking past it many a time :p

Sophist
12-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I was ID'd to buy firecrackers over the summer (you have to be 16), and I just turned 25 this month. While I do have a baby-face, I think it is more my tendency to wear very casual clothes (just jeans and T's here unless you hold a gun to my head) and no make-up that make people assume I am not a 20-something. My favorite incident was when I was teaching sunday school (at 24) and had to run out to my car to grab a visual aid, and a man stopped me at the door to ask if my mother knew where I was going. I assume he thought I was a teenager sneaking out of church :rolleyes: .

I felt better, tho, when my fiancee (who is 31) was ID'd for an r-rated movie )you have to be 18). He is very baby-faced, too. It runs in both of our families.

Sophist
12-13-2006, 02:36 PM
That happens to my Mom all the time. Her friend thought she was 25, when she's actually 35. She answered the phone one day and the person asked where her mother was!

I hate that! I get that on the phone, too.

cassiesmom
12-13-2006, 02:43 PM
LOL! I turned forty in September. I think I do, but I'm told I don't. I certainly feel it!

CountryWolf07
12-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm 22, and I look like I'm 18.

lvpets2002
12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
:) Hey you are only as young as you feel.. I hope I dont look my age..

buttercup132
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I personall think I still look 8. But people have said I look 18 at least someone once thought I was 20 something:confused: lol.

TamanduaGirl
12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I always thought it was great once I knew I looked younger than I was. It was only anoying once in collage. Everyone went on a trip to vegas and didn't invite me. I didn't say anything because I thought they were just being rude or something and didn't want to make a stink but it turned out they thought I was 17! lol I was almost 22 at that time. Was 28 and working a job and someone asked and told them and they said they thought I was the same age as the other girls Teens :) I love it.

While I got A's in school and such I've always been shy and socialy matured slower than average and so always feel as well as look about 10yrs younger. In my 20's was living more like teens and now starting into my 30's am living like twenties. Maybe they made a misake on my birth date, HA.

moosmom
12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm 53 and have been told I don't look my age. To me, age is a state of mind.

Husky15
12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
To me, age is a state of mind.

Very true, that.

As for me, I think I look my age. I was told once I look old for my age, but for the most part I think I look sixteen.