PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy versus Religion.

RICHARD
12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
This really bugs me.

I was flipping thru the channels and stopped on the "Take Home Chef"..

He made a dynamite Pad Thai dish that I caught so I decided to watch the next episode...

The premise of the show is this Aussie chef goes to a supermarket, picks a woman and offers to go home and cook a meal for her and her SO...

He pays for the items, too!

Not a bad deal...........On this episode he finds a gal, checks with her about the food and starts to shop with her. Halfway thru the store he picks out a cooking wine and she says, "I can't do wine, I'm Moron"...the chef dud says, "Oh that means you can't eat caffiene, I was going to make a green tea icecream for you.....;

So, she figures that the alcohol will cook out and they have to find caffiene
free tea for the ice cream.

-------------------------------

One time we went out with a co-worker to a Mex restaurant...At this place they had a table set up with beans, chips, salsa and pork and beef..sorta like a buffet/appetizer deal.....

We all ate, had a few drinks and the next day thos woman cme into work and was pissed off at us that we fed her pork-She was a muslim!

LIKE WTF? You don't know what pork tastes like? Also I thought that Muslims didn't drink either?

----------------------------------

RedHedd
12-11-2006, 10:34 PM
On this episode he finds a gal, checks with her about the food and starts to shop with her. Halfway thru the store he picks out a cooking wine and she says, "I can't do wine, I'm Moron"... Was she blonde as well as being a moron? :p

captain
12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
snigger

I saw that "Moron" statement ............. and laughed too.

Yes Richard, many people think YOU have to watch out for THEIR dietary requirements.
Pfft!

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Jaime can come cook for me anytime! LOL.

Morons....that is a religion VERY popular around here.

But, Richard...I am trying to see how this is about "courtesy vs. Religion" as you set forth in the heading...what did you mean? That she should have been more courteous about her dietary restrictions?

RICHARD
12-12-2006, 09:51 AM
I meant MORMON....LOL

Sorry, I didn't get to finish my thought...I have a cat. :rolleyes:

The C vs. R thought comes from the idea that people are more apt to be DIS courteous to your good intentions.

It goes back to the Seattle Tree Fiasco.

I bet some Mulsims, Wiccans and LDS folks aren't that fond of Xmas, but they don't raise a stink about it.

-------------------------

Someine told a story about passing out an Xmas card to someone who was Jewish- and the person getting the card acted like they were given a gold plated turd-what ever happened to putting a smile on your face and recognizing someone did something nice for you? As opposed to acting like a jerk.

The very same thing happened to me. I worked with a very nice gal-classy and very proper......when she got the Xmas card she looked like I had spit into her hand.

But why was it OK for her to give me a gift? :rolleyes:

Please......I'd respect someone more if they acted like they enjoyed the card/gift, then tossed it or regifted the darn thing, You know, like go with the program for a miniute- I don't think your god would have any problem with boozing and eating a pork taco a few days outta the year....

It's kinda crappy to be confronted after a nice night out with your co-workers with a story about how you puked all night long because you cannot figure out how to spell P-I-G..

lady_zana
12-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Sorry, I didn't get to finish my thought...I have a cat. :rolleyes:

Someine told a story about passing out an Xmas card to someone who was Jewish- and the person getting the card acted like they were given a gold plated turd-what ever happened to putting a smile on your face and recognizing someone did something nice for you? As opposed to acting like a jerk.

The very same thing happened to me. I worked with a very nice gal-classy and very proper......when she got the Xmas card she looked like I had spit into her hand.

But why was it OK for her to give me a gift? :rolleyes:

Please......I'd respect someone more if they acted like they enjoyed the card/gift, then tossed it or regifted the darn thing, You know, like go with the program for a miniute- I don't think your god would have any problem with boozing and eating a pork taco a few days outta the year....

It's kinda crappy to be confronted after a nice night out with your co-workers with a story about how you puked all night long because you cannot figure out how to spell P-I-G..

There is no cause for all the rudeness we see nowaways. I understand what you mean by respecting someone more if they act like they enjoy it. I also think it would be good if the person simply said, "Thank you but I don't celebrate Christmas. But thank you for the thought. I appreciate it." Then they wouldn't have to accept the gift and you would know for the next year.

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
There is no cause for all the rudeness we see nowaways. I understand what you mean by respecting someone more if they act like they enjoy it. I also think it would be good if the person simply said, "Thank you but I don't celebrate Christmas. But thank you for the thought. I appreciate it." Then they wouldn't have to accept the gift and you would know for the next year.

Lady Zana, while I agree with you, largely, I would make the statement, "Thank you! I appreciate your thoughtfulness". To me, there isn't a single reason why one should add anything else.

When I go to someone's house for dinner, and something is passed around that I don't care for, I say, "No, thank you". Not, "No thanks, I hate that". :rolleyes:

I just don't understand people's rudeness, or need to tell the WHOLE story. But, I would add, I have never had someone treat me the way Richard had with the card. I guess I am lucky, and don't know those types of people! Or, if I did know them at one point in my life, I have weeded them out from my garden of friends. :D

Karen
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I have dietary restrictions that are not due to religion, and anyone who eats with me knows it, if any ordering of food is involved. I try not to make a big deal of it, it's no one's fault, and no one's problem but my own.

I do think it is the responsibility of anyone with dietary restrictions of any sort to either let people know, or not eat anything without asking what's in it. Better safe than sorry.

There are people who will not be happy no matter the situation, greeting card, or whatever - and it usually has nothing to do with you!

Laura's Babies
12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
My buddy Mike is Jewish and I am Christain. He knows I celebrate Christmas and I know he don't but out of respect when I give his Brats (cats) Toys at Christmas, he accepts them and also brings my babies toys. I respect his request not to give him anything, just his Brats.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I am a vegetarian and I would never eat meat just to be polite, sorry. But, I would make sure anyone potentially cooking me a meal would know that first. I also check ingredients before assuming anything.

Sometimes beliefs prevent people from partaking in things...but that doesn't mean that people are "rude" if they don't want to. It's rude the way some people go about it, but if you are polite and kind, I see no reason why a refusal is a bad thing.

JenBKR
12-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Richard I think it's time your co-worker learns how to take care of herself. That's just sad, IMO

As for giving cards/presents to people who don't celebrate the same religion - I will gladly accept anything any of you would like to give me that is for a non-Christian holiday. I promise not to complain one bit :D

CathyBogart
12-12-2006, 01:54 PM
As a pagan, I'd be in some trouble if I didn't have the ability to accept an Xmas card with grace. I honestly appreciate the well-wishes and it would never occur to me to be offended. In fact, I have a stack of Xmas cards to give out this year, even though that's not my holiday.

As for dietary requirements though....I don't see at all how that was discourteous. She had religious beliefs that excluded certain foods, she wasn't rude about it, and it worked out fine.

cassiesmom
12-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Not a bad deal...........On this episode he finds a gal, checks with her about the food and starts to shop with her. Halfway thru the store he picks out a cooking wine and she says, "I can't do wine, I'm Moron"...the chef dud says, "Oh that means you can't eat caffeine, I was going to make a green tea ice cream for you.....;

Oh, Richard... I'm having the day from h*** here at work and your post made me laugh till my eyes started to water! I'm trying not to LOL because I don't want to disturb my co-workers .. but every time I read the line about the Moron and the chef dud, I start laughing all over again. If I laugh silently much longer, I'm going to explode!

My break is over, I must go. You didn't know when you started watching this show that it would result in someone in Chicago laughing and feeling better because of it.

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Well, I am a vegetarian and I would never eat meat just to be polite, sorry. But, I would make sure anyone potentially cooking me a meal would know that first. I also check ingredients before assuming anything.

I have returned again to a vegatarian lifestyle. I am unobtrusive in my restrictions, and simply order something else, or pass it up. I wouldn't eat flesh just to be polite either.

sparks19
12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Richard I think you have every right to be upset with this person. That WAS rude in my opinion. it is HER responsibility to adhere to her diet. Her being P.O's because you fed her pork. Of course I am assuming you did not hold her down and force feed her some pork. If she wants everyone else to be responsible for her diet then she should wear a sign that says "Do not allow me to eat pork because I cannot do it myself"

What ever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?

It is HER fault she ate pork and no one else's and her attitude about it and basically saying what a terrible night she had because of it was totally uncalled for.

There is a difference between refusing things because of your religion or diet and griping about nice things people do for you. That just shows me that they are not very happy in their religion if they do nothing but complain about nice gestures because they don't celebrate it or can't eat it.

RICHARD
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Dietary restrictions for health reasons are more important than religious/lifestyle choices.

For some people something as innocent as peanuts can kill them.

If I drink milk in 15 minutes you can hear my stomach across the room and I'll be in the potty for the rest of the day.

Veganism is a choice-not a religion. I have had to put up with people who don't drink milk, wear leather and then procede to yak about how I am wrecking my health. 80 percent of the time, Veggies are rude ...
I live in the capital of vegans......I have seen this time and time again.

Living in Lost Angeles, land of the fruits, nuts and space aliens, I have seen people in line and in restaurants making such a big deal out of THEIR choices.

I get incensed with I hear a veggie bugging a server about ordering.

"Is the milk organic?" what about the tomatoes?" "I only eat free range cabbage!" "what kind of oil do you use?" 'Are the napkins made out of hemp?"
" I only drink spring water......"

I don't expect people to eat a taco or drink booze for the hell of it..I just like to experience life without someone complaining aboiut the THEIR demons-
Politeness does work.

And since we are heading into choices......Check this one out!!!

Another woman in my office would refuse to partake in our pot luck meals...

Why? she didn't like to eat food that was "picked thru by people before her".

So we had to set up the vittles and wait for her so we could eat....We had to wait for her to "pick thru" the food before we could eat......sometimes we had to postphone our lunches 40 minutes to accomodate this AH.

She was a MORON!

sparks19
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
LOL Richard.

Where does this feeling of entitlement come from these days?

Everyone thinks people should make special arrangements just for them no matter how inconvenient it is for everyone else. What happened to common courtesy?

I hate walking around a public pool with wet feet but I don't DEMAND that they mop the ground everytime I want to walk around somewhere..... I DEAL WITH IT.

If she doesn't want to eat pot luck because she doesn't like food that has been touched before her then she should bring her own lunch. What if TWO people didn't want to eat food that had been touched before them? They can't BOTH have first dibs.

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Dietary restrictions for health reasons are more important than religious/lifestyle choices.

Ah, the King has spoken. For me, my choices are just as important as someone else's....no matter their origin.

Veganism is a choice-not a religion. I have had to put up with people who don't drink milk, wear leather and then procede to yak about how I am wrecking my health. 80 percent of the time, Veggies are rude ...

"Is the milk organic?" what about the tomatoes?" "I only eat free range cabbage!" "what kind of oil do you use?" 'Are the napkins made out of hemp?"

Richard, a vegatarian lifestyle, in all of its different 'grades' or 'levels' usually rotates around the origin of the food, not whether it is organic, whether one wears leather, or if napkins are made out of hemp. So, I question some of your conclusions. While I do drink organic milk, and buy some organic veggies, I don't care about hemp products at all. I don't know other vegatarians that are 'rude' anymore than I know of any one group that is rude.

I can only conclude you know, perhaps, the most rudest people I have ever heard of.

Another woman in my office would refuse to partake in our pot luck meals...

Why? she didn't like to eat food that was "picked thru by people before her".

So we had to set up the vittles and wait for her so we could eat....We had to wait for her to "pick thru" the food before we could eat......sometimes we had to postphone our lunches 40 minutes to accomodate this AH.

She was a MORON!

From my perspective, the ONLY one with a problem in this scenario is the person/people that waited, postponing lunches for 40 minutes. To think that one single person had a group of people so well trained is remarkable. I don't know of such people. Must be the one benefit of living in boring ole Ohio. :rolleyes:

joycenalex
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Cataholic
... To think that one single person had a group of people so well trained is remarkable. I don't know of such people. Must be the one benefit of living in boring ole Ohio. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
you never met teresa at my job, here in columbus ohio. ;) . and after 10 minutes, i'd be digging in. :p

RICHARD
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Ah, the King has spoken. For me, my choices are just as important as someone else's....no matter their origin.

Richard, a vegatarian lifestyle, in all of its different 'grades' or 'levels' usually rotates around the origin of the food, not whether it is organic, whether one wears leather, or if napkins are made out of hemp. So, I question some of your conclusions. While I do drink organic milk, and buy some organic veggies, I don't care about hemp products at all. I don't know other vegatarians that are 'rude' anymore than I know of any one group that is rude.

I can only conclude you know, perhaps, the most rudest people I have ever heard of.

From my perspective, the ONLY one with a problem in this scenario is the person/people that waited, postponing lunches for 40 minutes. To think that one single person had a group of people so well trained is remarkable. I don't know of such people. Must be the one benefit of living in boring ole Ohio. :rolleyes:

Now they lay his body down
Sad old men who run this town
I still recall the way
He led the charge and saved the day
Blue blood and rain
I can hear the bugle playin'

We seen the last of Good King Richard
Ring out the past his name lives on
Roll out the bones and raise up your pitcher
Raise up your glass to Good King John

Sorry, I have a queen already...I'll file your application...

-----------------------

I would rather see the veggies flopping around on the ground because of their limited choices at an eatery than a person who is having a seizure/event from an allergic reaction to food, Just my own perference.

I dunno how the vegans act in the "bread basket" of America.
Out here in Lost Angeles they are obnoxious, rude and scary. Remember, I do live in the "big city"- the flotsam and jetsam wash up on our shore more often.

----------

About the 'Delay the Meal' co worker..

She was a work in progress.

This was a union shop.

She was a woman, a minority, she was disabled and she knew how to work the system.

So.....If you did cut lines at the pot luck, the whole office suffered and suffer we did. Because she processed the people coming into the office how late the others worked depended on her.

So......if you got her mad, she'd tell the patient to show up at 5:15 in the afternoon, she'd leave at 5:30 and the educator, phlebotomist and scheduler had to work until 6:30-7...

Complain?

We were playing the race card, discriminating against her because she was a woman, had a disability or were being mean.

She had a separate boss, so WE had to conform to her ideas, whims and moods.....

Catsnclay
12-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Living in Lost Angeles, land of the fruits, nuts and space aliens

Ah, this reminds me of the time my sister lived in L.A. She wouldn't eat, drink or smoke anything unless it was natural :rolleyes: Needless to say, when she came home for Thanksgiving all she did was eat & drink all the un-natural things she could get her hands on - yes, McDonalds was also on her list!! IMO her smoking all that natural stuff got to her!! :p

I have many Jewish friends who do celebrate Christmas along with their holidays. I use to have a boss that was brought up Mormon, he told me that they use to eas & drink anything they wanted.....as long as it wasn't if front of the family! He also refered to his former religion as "Moron's".

I am SO glad I no longer work, now you have to be careful what you say & do and to whom! What is this world coming to?!

cassiesmom
12-13-2006, 01:09 PM
80 percent of the time, Veggies are rude ...

Living in Lost Angeles, land of the fruits, nuts and space aliens, I have seen people in line and in restaurants making such a big deal out of THEIR choices.

That sounds excessive, I've never heard anyone asking questions that specific here in Chicagoland. But I'm willing to bet it has happened.

RICHARD
12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
That sounds excessive, I've never heard anyone asking questions that specific here in Chicagoland. But I'm willing to bet it has happened.

Cross the Rockies....the ride up deprives you of oxygen, so when you land on the other side you are brain damaged.

That conversation is a mixture of some of the conversations I have heard.
I am being facetious and over the top.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I think the world has lost their perception on all this holiday exclusion stuff. If I give someone a card or a gift, it's because I like them and want to share one of the most important times of my life with them. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm trying to share. I got wished a "Happy Father's Day" once and I can quarentee I have never been nor never will be a father. I just grinned and said "Thank YOU!!!"

We are fast coming to the time when no one will be able to celebrate anything in public. I heard on Fox news just today of an appartment complex that were forbidden to display any type of outside holiday decorations. No lights or even a wreath. The people would be evicted if they did.

This happened to the retirement complex one of my aunts lived in too. The first year she was there they had a grand time. Every corner was decorated and they had dinners and lots of fun all month for all. Then this one grumpy guy moved in who threatened to sue if Christmas was displayed. That's how he made his living by sueing people, by the way. Anyway, what a depressing year that was for all of them. No decorations, no smiles, no dinners. They were all so depressed. Luckily, he moved out so now they can have fun again.

I say to all, enjoy all the holidays now because the time is coming, unless there is a change in the attitudes in this country, when it will be illegel to celebrate anything UNLESS PRE-APPROVED BY THE GOVERNMENT! :(

Twisterdog
12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I think it's very sad indeed when people are rude to someone who is trying to be kind and thoughtful towards them. I feel there is so much anger and rudeness in the world on a daily basis, that we all ought to be thankful for a kind gesture.

A Christmas card or greeting, 99% of the time, is given with kind thoughts in mind. It's not meant to try to convert someone to another religion. I truly don't understand. If someone gives a gift for your birthday, for example, that you don't like, you are gracious about it, right? You say, "Oh, thank you so much for the lovely lime green knitted slippers, Aunt Martha. You must have worked so hard on them!" You don't say, "OMG, I don't wear slippers! My feet are always hot! These are ugly and too small!" So why do people not practice the same good manners and grace when presented with a card or a friendly salutation?

As for food, my brother has been a vegetarian for decades. He would not eat meat just to be polite. Nor should he be expected to. However, I've never once heard him declare his beliefs for all to hear, or say anything negative about the meals prepared for him. He quietly and graciously just passes on the dishes made with meat. He expects no one to know or care about his personal choices. As it should be, IMO.

When my niece was born, my sister sent birth announcements to her friends and co-workers. She sent one to one of her co-workers, who, unknown to my sister, was a Jehovah's Witness. The woman later berated and chastised my sister for violating her religious views, for being unfeeling and uncaring, etc. My sister had NO idea what she talking about. Well, turns out my sister had put a postage stamp on the envelope that happened to be about donating blood, an apparent no-no in this woman's religion. An extreme example, to be sure, but sadly, not all that uncommon these days. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
When my niece was born, my sister sent birth announcements to her friends and co-workers. She sent one to one of her co-workers, who, unknown to my sister, was a Jehovah's Witness. The woman later berated and chastised my sister for violating her religious views, for being unfeeling and uncaring, etc. My sister had NO idea what she talking about. Well, turns out my sister had put a postage stamp on the envelope that happened to be about donating blood, an apparent no-no in this woman's religion. An extreme example, to be sure, but sadly, not all that uncommon these days. :(
That is a no win situation. If your niece hadn't sent her a card the lady would have been just as mad!!! Some people just like to gripe because they are miserable and want everyone else to be too. :(

captain
12-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I agree with the dietary requirement issue - however, please please, if I invite you over for dinner, tell me what you can't eat. I will be more than happy to make something you can eat!!! I don't want to make a roast, if all you wanted were the potatoes and vegies! :D

As for the "postage blood donor" - good grief, geta life!!! It is not as if you did it on purpose ....

And Richard, backing up your vegan "issues" :D - IMO if you are a vegan, GO TO A VEGAN restaurant!!! There are so many of them in Australia ...... well, in Melbourne anyway :D

As an aside, last year, I bought a roll of Christmas paper - all excited because it looked so fabulous through the wrapper. Only to discover when I opened it, it was for a Jewish holiday :D
I laughed, and gave it to my Jewish friends - who could not believe you could actually buy JEWISH wrapping paper :D

Sophist
12-14-2006, 01:32 AM
I don't think the first example was necessarily rude... he was making a meal just for her, she should let him know while he was shopping what her restrictions are. However, if a group meal has been prepared, by all means you should try to be gracious about it and not expect everyone else to make allowances for your preferences, especially if you don't have any good reason to assume they would be aware of them.

RICHARD
12-14-2006, 04:36 AM
I don't think the first example was necessarily rude... he was making a meal just for her, she should let him know while he was shopping what her restrictions are..

Oh, she wasn't rude...She waited uintil the poor guy had shopped for half the meal.

He told her up front that he was making two fish dishes....one was in filet form, the other was sushi. Now, I don't mind a sake with my sushi.....But if a chef type person offeree me a meal I'd suspect that alcohol was part of the menu, either cokking or drinking.

My point was that people aren't williing to be polite by pointing out that they do have a dietary restriction because of their religion..

This woman didn't become a Mormon until he got the wine......Then she got religion......

Pembroke_Corgi
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
And Richard, backing up your vegan "issues" :D - IMO if you are a vegan, GO TO A VEGAN restaurant!!! There are so many of them in Australia ...... well, in Melbourne anyway :D
If I had to go to a vegan restuarant everytime I wanted to eat out, I would never eat outside of home....I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and have many vegetarian friends and I have never met one that flops around if everyone isn't completely accomodating, as RICHARD suggests.

I don't agree with trying to "convert" people to vegetarianism but I also don't agree with religious beliefs being pushed onto others, either, as some people do. For some reason, it seems people are only allow to hold beliefs if they are institutionalized.

Sophist
12-15-2006, 03:17 PM
This woman didn't become a Mormon until he got the wine......Then she got religion......

I can't judge that without seeing the show for myself, but that doesn't seem to be clearly inferred from the first post. Also, I disagree that one should naturally assume that a meal had to involve alcohol and caffeine simply because a professional was making it, and she did have him go ahead and make it once she realized it was something that would have the chance to cook out.

Again, it wasn't like this chef had invited her over for dinner and she didn't say anything and then pitched a fit. He randomly picked her out of the supermarket, and they were shopping for things to bring into her home. I think that is a pretty big distinction.

The muslim woman who was furious that pork was ordered to her table while she was out to eat was, IMO, crossing a line. A muslim woman helping me shop for a meal I am going to make just for her in her own home who says "Oh, I can't do bacon!" doesn't cross the same line. For me, it is the difference between insisting someone else follows your restrictions, and asking someone else to respect your beliefs.

Sevaede
12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh, she wasn't rude...She waited uintil the poor guy had shopped for half the meal.

He told her up front that he was making two fish dishes....one was in filet form, the other was sushi. Now, I don't mind a sake with my sushi.....But if a chef type person offeree me a meal I'd suspect that alcohol was part of the menu, either cokking or drinking.

My point was that people aren't williing to be polite by pointing out that they do have a dietary restriction because of their religion..

At least he hadn't paid for it already! :D

There are quite a few recipes that do not call for any type of alcohol. Plenty. That also ties into the Mormon thing. She probably didn't think it necessary to announce her religion until something directly involving it came up.