PDA

View Full Version : Question

CatLuvrs
12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Marissa REALLY likes the mice and rats at the petstore and she wants one really bad. Now I know I will have to teach her to hold them and things like that but I would really like to read up on them to see how to care for them. She will be 7 on January 31 and I want to maybe get her one for her birthday. I know I will be the one cleaning and taking care of food and things and I am fine with that. I am just wondering which would be best to get and if you all have sites to read up on them both. Thanks for any advice/sites you give to me.

Michelle

Kalei
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Hello, I don't have a rat but I know many people who do. And rats seem to be one of the best pets you could have! They are very easily trainable for almost everything and they are very happy pets! Rats don't ever bite (at least I have never heard of one biting) and they just love to be on peoples shoulders, I bet your little 7 year old would love having a little rat on her shoulder :) Anyways that's what my little opinion is, you'll have to see what some other pt professionals on here say lol. Good luck! Post a pic when you get the pet!

Vela
12-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I would go with a rat over a mouse, usually smell less strongly, and they are very sweet and trainable. I have 4 pet rats and I love them.

Genny
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I'd go with a rat too. They need more space, but they're much more friendlier I think. I use to have a pet rat and he was sweet, and he really enjoyed being out with me. I've never had a mouse, but they are sweet too I guess. Your daughter would probabl like a rat better, because they are bigger and easier to handle too!

TamanduaGirl
12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
When I was a kid I found this big book on mice in the library that covered everything on them then eventualy got one. I was about the same age I think when I had my mouse. She was cool but rats as everyone said do tend to better for a pet you can hang out with.

I'd have her read up on both and then make the decision herself since it's officialy her pet. I had to feed, water and clean mine myself but my parents would check up on it to be sure I did everything for it.

moosmom
12-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a one-eyed rat named Winkie who I saved from becoming a snake's dinner. He is wonderful. The more you handle them, the more of a bond you have. I love my little rattie and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a pet.

binka_nugget
12-12-2006, 01:51 AM
I'd recommend rats over mice. I found it really difficult handling mice.. I'd imagine it'd be pretty tricky for a 7 year old too!

It's really, really, really important that you get two or more. They're very social creatures. Even if you could spend hours with them every day, there's no subsituting the grooming, playing and interaction another rat/mouse can provide.

Rats are just wonderful pets though. They're incredibly intelligent and bond easily to their owners. I think of them as little dogs because of their level of intelligence actually. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Both rats and mice make wonderful pets. I too would suggest rats over mice for a 7 year old. Rats are much easier to handle simply because of their size.

I've never had a problem with either rats or mice being nippy. They of course can bit, but if they are handled regularly I doubt they would.

Muddy4paws
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I just got 2 boy rats, they are only babies and need lots of handling to tame them but they are gorgeous! I would definatly recommend them! I got 2 because keeping a lone rat is sometime considered cruel because they need companions to keep them happy when you are not there, also if you are thinking about going to a breeder or a petshop most around here only sell them in pairs because of this reason.

Have you considered going to a rescue? chances are they would be held and handled alot more than pet shops so it might be better for your daughter having a rat that is used to being held. I got told that boys are more docile than girls but I'm not sure if that is just a myth.

I found www.fancy-rats.co.uk REALLY helpful! they have a cage calculator to see how many rats are recommended in a cage and how to kit out the cages to make them exciting for them!

I got the savic freddy 2 cage for mine and they seem to have plenty of room and the door is quite big so you can fit your arms in to get to the rats which is helpful if they are shy like mine!