PDA

View Full Version : Would you go back?

catnapper
12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Silly poll, but I'm curious....

Ashley and I were out shopping for Christmas today. Most Christmas gifts will be pictures of Cameron and we wanted some inexpensive frames. We found a REALLY cute frame at TJ Maxx for $4. I was pushing Cameron's stroller, so I set the small 3x5 frame in the top of the stroller while we continued to browse. We didn't find anything else in the frame section so of course we headed to the baby section ;) We didn't find anything these so we left to go to the craft store, which was next door in the same strip mall. We searched the frames at AC Moore and everything was really picked over, so we left. As we were leaving, we noticed we forgot to pay for the TJ Maxx frame! :eek:

We could have
gone back to TJ Maxx and paid for the frame

pretend we didn't notice our mistake and consider the $4 frame a freebie

I know what I did - I returned to the store and paid for my little frame (I would hate to think spend my afterlife in a hot place over $4 :p) but both girls thought I was insane for returning to the scene of the crime since the employees never noticed, and their alarm system never buzzed when we left.\

So what would you have done? Be honest, since this is an annonymous poll! :D Its a $4 frame and nobody saw us take it... it was an honest mistake that could have been rectified or ignored. What would you do?

catnapper
12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, I wanted to say the reason the girls wouldn't return: They were afraid someone would notice us return and they'd try to accuse us of stealing. I guess its a valid reason *shrug*

ComedyDevil
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I would've taken it back and paid for it.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 04:32 PM
I would have taken it back. If nothing else- they need to highten their security as you were honest to realize your mistake- but how many did not uh " make a mistake.."

Danegirl2208
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
i would have gone back, i would not feel a bit comfortable about just taking it..

Zippy
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I would go back and pay for it.I noticed they didn't charge me for .99 cent toothbrush and went back and payed.It is What Jesus would do.To me it is stealing and you can't get around that.I would feel guilty for days on end if I didn't pay.

joycenalex
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
i'm afraid if my mother found out i had something and didn'r pay for it, she'd still slap me. i'm 50 and 6 inches taller then she is. i'd pay up.

cassiesmom
12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
That happened to me at Target with a pot of Carmex in my shopping cart. It got stuck in the part of the cart that folds out to make a child seat and I just missed it when I checked out - just piled everything into the cart and headed out the door. I went back inside with the cart and the Carmex and paid for it.

IRescue452
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I probably would have paid for it too. The other day I was at walmart and I had gotten my typical single wrapped slice of cheesecake from the deli and it wouldn't scan. Despite the fact that I was angry about the price going up 27 cents, I still told her the truth when she asked if I remember the price. People trust me, and they have every reason to, I wouldn't want to mess that up.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Go back and pay for sure. Once Walmart forgot to add my big bag of cat food on my ticket. I didn't notice until I got home but I loaded that thing back in the car and took it back along with the ticket and paid for it. Didn't want my babies eating stolen food!!! No way, no how!!!

Good for you for being honest!!! :D

KYS
12-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I would have gone back to the store and paid.

RICHARD
12-11-2006, 06:28 PM
(I would hate to think spend my afterlife in a hot place over $4 :p)

Tickets for the HOT PLACE are 7.50 for adults.

Four bucks is the 'under 12' rate..

That happened to Faith Hill and me..It balanced out a purchase I left in the store before. :eek:

sirrahved
12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
If it is my mistake, I return and pay. If it is their mistake, however, I consider it a freebie.

cyber-sibes
12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
I would have gone back & paid for it. Don't need any bad karma. :D

CathyBogart
12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm a strong believer in karma, so when this happened to me (with some face wash) I went back and paid for it. We have people who do this at our store too, and sometimes we'll give tham a 10% discount just for being awesome. :)

moosmom
12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
I voted to go back and pay for it. I'm WAAAY to honest to steal anything and wouldn't sleep if something like that happened to me. Even if it was quite a drive, I'd have called the store, admitted the mistake and asked them if I could come back at another time to pay up.

Logan
12-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I doubt anyone is going to respond who wouldn't have gone back and paid for it. LOL!!! :) But, I would have. If the lines were too long to warrant waiting to pay for a $4 item, I might have just handed it to a customer service person and left, but I definitely think you did the right thing, Kim. This kind of thing probably happens all the time and many would not do the right thing since they didn't get caught.

Logan

areias
12-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Umm...if this answers your question..sometimes when I am grocery shopping I will stick a 12 pack of soda or something underneath the carriage...and "forget" to drag it out. About half the time I don't pay for it.

I just look at it as payback for charging you about $5 for a small coke at the movies or a themepark :p .

So no, I probably wouldn't have gone back and paid.

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
If it is my mistake, I return and pay. If it is their mistake, however, I consider it a freebie.

Me, too! I need to consider my time and energy and gas price, etc., so, I have no problem with this 'policy'.

jackmilliesmom
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I would have gone back and paid, I remember one time when Jack was a pup and we went to the Pet Superstore and he picked up a small burger shaped chew thing from a low shelf and we walked out without realising it was in his mouth.

When we got to the car we found it in his mouth and I went immediately back to the shop and told the shop assistant about it and showed her which one and she said thank you very much but not to worry they did not cost so much but I refused and paid the 50 cent (euro money living in Ireland) and left. The next time we went over the staff just gave Jack another for our honesty.

ramanth
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I voted return and pay, however, when I was in high school I was shopping with my then boyfriend, when he became very ill. I walked with him to the restroom area and waited. When he finally emerged, he looked aweful and we left the store. I realized once we got to the car that the greeting card in my hand was never paid for! :o :eek:

I was so embarressed and wanted to go back, but the bf was in so much pain that we left. :o I'm sure karma kicked me in the butt for that a few times.

Luvin Labs
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Their mistake or mine, I would have gone back to pay for it. I've done it before and I always feel 1000% better when I do so. I just go over to the customer service desk and get taken care of right away.

Just think, people who do NOT come back to pay for it are really bringing the prices of items UP, since they have shoplifted in a sense. Sure you didn't KNOW you had something you didn't pay for when you left, but when you notice you didn't pay for it and don't go back, you have just shoplifted. AND are raising our prices of items!

:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
It happened to me, so I can say in all honesty: "I would have taken it back to pay for it"! Their reply was that not many people would have done that and they thanked me for my honesty :)

Husky_mom
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
weeeell.........one time i was a t the grocery and i placed some soap for dishes in the part under the cart (I hate when itīs near food) so as i walked to pay I unloaded "everything" (or so I thought, but, one employee did helped me) adn they never charged me the soap (I noticed that when i got to my car and saw the soap not in a shipping bag as everything else)......but i just walked off.......(It was cold and on a previous time they charged me something I didnīt bought, so we got even)

on that particular situation(on the stroller hideout) been there done that :rolleyes: but If I noticed whithin distance I would pay back or just return item.........If I were too far I would just donīt bother and come back in a later time..........

carole
12-12-2006, 01:59 PM
No second thoughts here, i would have taken it back, i always think that money that is lost has to come out of some-one else's pocket, so being honest is the best i think.

Cataholic
12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Just think, people who do NOT come back to pay for it are really bringing the prices of items UP, since they have shoplifted in a sense. Sure you didn't KNOW you had something you didn't pay for when you left, but when you notice you didn't pay for it and don't go back, you have just shoplifted. AND are raising our prices of items!

:)

I might quibble with you a bit. A crime, such as shoplifting, requires a certain mens rea- a guilty mind. That is at the time one committed the action constituting a crime. So, if there is no "guilty mind" at the time, one does not aquire a guilty mind an hour after the fact.

If it were THEIR mistake- maybe they didn't add it up, maybe the price was entered incorrectly, whatever, I am not going back. That isn't any sort of criminal act on my part, but, it is probably negligence on their part! When one does an act consituting negligence, they pay the price.

When a store starts calling ME to say, "Oh, we charged you wrong, didn't you notice? Come get your refund"...I will begin the same practice. Until then? I remain convinced it all evens out in the end.

While I applaud those of you driving twenty minutes out of your way, to return or pay for a $4.00 item, that was not your responsibility, I see a much greater pull on the economy that way. Gas? Pollution? Wear and tear on your car? The 'man' hour expenditure of the customer service rep receiving the cash, and then explaining it....I could prolly go on, but, you might see my point. he he he...

I sleep very well at night, thank you. :o

critter crazy
12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I might quibble with you a bit. A crime, such as shoplifting, requires a certain mens rea- a guilty mind. That is at the time one committed the action constituting a crime. So, if there is no "guilty mind" at the time, one does not aquire a guilty mind an hour after the fact.

If it were THEIR mistake- maybe they didn't add it up, maybe the price was entered incorrectly, whatever, I am not going back. That isn't any sort of criminal act on my part, but, it is probably negligence on their part! When one does an act consituting negligence, they pay the price.

When a store starts calling ME to say, "Oh, we charged you wrong, didn't you notice? Come get your refund"...I will begin the same practice. Until then? I remain convinced it all evens out in the end.

While I applaud those of you driving twenty minutes out of your way, to return or pay for a $4.00 item, that was not your responsibility, I see a much greater pull on the economy that way. Gas? Pollution? Wear and tear on your car? The 'man' hour expenditure of the customer service rep receiving the cash, and then explaining it....I could prolly go on, but, you might see my point. he he he...

I have to completely agree with this statement!!:)

jenluckenbach
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
This is how I see it. I would feel horrible if I accidentally took something unpaid, but I feel elated when they goof and I get something free or cheap. :)

Kfamr
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I personally don't see how someone could NOT go back and pay. It would lay on my concious for a long while. No matter how much the item costs, it does not belong to me unless I pay for it.

anna_66
12-12-2006, 03:26 PM

Jo we don't agree on a lot of things but I totally agree with you on this.

I've been overcharged more times than I can count and don't bother to go back and get my money for all the reasons you stated. So when something like that happens I don't go back to pay and honestly don't feel bad about it (I sleep pretty good too;)).

Luvin Labs
12-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I could prolly go on, but, you might see my point. he he he...

If its a far distance away I can totally see your point. Or if the price was wrong. :)

lol, good! me too! :)

carole
12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
A prime example of this is the supermarket,quite often they make mistakes either way, quite often not giving me the specials advertised and overcharging me, and i don't have the time to be bothered checking my till receipt right away,not until i get home, so i figure they have ripped me off quite a few times, so when its in my favour i donot go back,too much time involved, i often don't bother going back either when it is not in my favour, so kinda works out in the end i think,so many people never check their supermarket till receipts so they fair pretty well out of it i reckon. :)

lv4dogs
12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I probably would of done the same thing you did, return to pay for it. My consense is just way to strong & heavy. lol
I couldn't even count the times I've been handed the wrong change (IN my favor) yet I always speak up & make sure I get the correct change.

kimlovescats
12-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I would have paid for it as well. The guilt of not doing so would have haunted me forever~! ;)

dogzr#1
12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I probably wouldn't have gone back. :o Most of the time when I go shopping with my mom or something, by the time we get to the car and realize we forgot to pay for one thing or something, we are too lazy to go back and pay an extra $2 or something. Now, if it was something expensive, then sure I'll go back! It's happened a couple times and by the time I get to the house, I forget about it.