PDA

View Full Version : Shilo to the vet.

jenluckenbach
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I took Shilo in to the vet today for drooling/mouth pain. It looks like he has exactly what Amber has.....Stomatitis. :eek: Can I go through this again?

His gums are red, but he does not have tarter. This is an "auto-immune" disease where the body attacks its own teeth/gums.

So he got a steroid shot and a prescription for anti-biotics.

The vet is hopeful that after this treatment he should be good for quite a while. But I believe that these cats are always prone to flare ups and he too may someday need the drastic dental Amber just had. :(

I am having them do blood work just to make sure all is OK. results some time tomorrow.

Laura's Babies
12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
It amazes me how many things that these babies can suffer from as if life isn't hard enough for them. Good luck with poor Shilo and I hope the meds do the trick and he gets better soon.

Logan
12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh Jen, it seems to always be something, doesn't it?? Hope Shilo will respond to the meds and get better.

Logan

catnapper
12-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Oh no, Jen!!! Why can't the kitties stay healthy and wait til we can recover from one vet bill before bringing on another?

kimlovescats
12-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh dear, not Shilo too! :( I have two with the same thing. I am trying to put off the tooth removal, as the teeth themselves are good. If that's what it takes to finally clear them up, then I'll do it eventually. *sigh*

orangemm
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh no, not Shilo! Poor baby. He must be miserable. Wish I could give him some scritches.

Let us know if he improves...........

catmandu
12-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Poor Liitle Shilo.
If its not one thing, its another sadly with Our Cats Jen.
We are sending our Prayers out to Shilo that the White Coats can make him better.
And some Pet Angels will be with Shilo to comfort him.

jenluckenbach
12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
When I asked them to draw blood they said that it seemed THICK. Meaning, probably, that he is not drinking enough. So as an aid to his sore gums and his fluid intake, I will be feeding him canned food with water added (like Filou gets). He sure did slurp it up tonight!!!

I'll let you know about his blood tests results when I get them.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Gosh, Jen, this is something most cat owners never even hear about, and here you've got two kitties with it! :( I sure hope the shot and meds do the trick so he doesn't have to go through a major dental like Amber.

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Poor Shilo.:( I sure hope that the shot and antibiotics will help him and that his blood work will be fine.

CultureJunky
12-12-2006, 05:23 AM
Oh dear, get well soon Shilo. It hurts but your meowmie is doing her best to take care of you and make you feel a whole lot better.

jazzcat
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Jen.

Prayers and positive thoughts for Shilo. Get well soon.

kimlovescats
12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I have to feed Dexter and Boots canned food separately as well! They can't eat any dry food without it making them scream in pain! :(