PDA

View Full Version : Panda is mad at mommy! :o(

kimlovescats
12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
My sweet teddy bear of a cat, Panda, bit me just now! I was attempting to brush some of the hair out of him, and discovered some very "fresh" poop all in his butt fur. :rolleyes: As I was attempting to wipe / pull it out with a napkin, he turned around and BIT the fire out of my wrist! He didn't even bite down all the way and it still broke the skin! :eek: I guess even sweet kitties can get ticked off at times. :( I hope he will forgive mommy soon!

He and his brother Sammy are so matted, I don't know what to do. I hate to have them shaved bare but this is really becoming a nuisance. They always have "dangle berries" from the litterbox! :rolleyes: So much for wanting a beautiful long-haired Maine Coon .... they might end up hairless Maine Coons! :rolleyes:

RedHedd
12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh, Kim, I do feel for you! Mishi gets matted something terrible and absolutely HATES being brushed, but I'm persistent and try to brush him a little bit every day. Their long silky fur and that butt-fluff matts super easy. When I can, I use a matt-breaker, but getting Mishi to sit still to let me use it on him is another thing. He hasn't bitten me, but he does make some very menacing noises when I'm trying to de-mat him.

When it gets as bad as it sounds Panda has gotten, shaving may be the only option. When I adopted Mishi, well, we still joke about his kitty mohawk that he had - they only shaved him in the areas where he had had mats. Their fur does grow back very quickly so you won't have bald Maine Coons for long, but I do feel for you. Poor Panda! Poor Kim!

kimlovescats
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh, Kim, I do feel for you! Mishi gets matted something terrible and absolutely HATES being brushed, but I'm persistent and try to brush him a little bit every day. Their long silky fur and that butt-fluff matts super easy. When I can, I use a matt-breaker, but getting Mishi to sit still to let me use it on him is another thing. He hasn't bitten me, but he does make some very menacing noises when I'm trying to de-mat him.

When it gets as bad as it sounds Panda has gotten, shaving may be the only option. When I adopted Mishi, well, we still joke about his kitty mohawk that he had - they only shaved him in the areas where he had had mats. Their fur does grow back very quickly so you won't have bald Maine Coons for long, but I do feel for you. Poor Panda! Poor Kim!

Thank you for the information. What is a matt-breaker? I've never heard of that. Can you get them at most pet stores or will I need to order from a pet supply company? I'm already thinking of ordering a grooming shaver with a #10 blade like Jen told me about. I've never had kitties THIS furry with such THICK fur before. Like you said, it is mostly on their undersides.... under armpits, neck and rear ends. I try to brush them, but one time through absolutely fills my brush! I can't get them to sit still long enough to really do them entirely! :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
;) Oh now you mean meowmom = what are we to do with you.. :D Oh now show Panda some of Gary's Canada Cat Nip & Waa Laa madness all gone.. Now for the others To Be Bare Bottomed.. Keep in mind no dudeity here.. :p Hey Kim can you try maybe some kitty shampoo with conditioner that might work those tangles out??

jenluckenbach
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh dear Kim, how I wish I were close enough to help you with this. :( This is such a common problem (judging by our clients) People want the beautiful long hair, but find it too difficult to keep up with it. And the cats themselves can NOT keep up with it (as it is actually un-natural for the cat to have hair that long.)

Find a groomer who does cats or ask your vet to shave the necessary areas. If you do it NOW while the mats are contained to a few areas, it will prevent a total shave down as the mats spread.

I will try to dig up links or photos of the mat breaker and comb I could not work without.

jenluckenbach
12-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Here s the photo of the mat breaker (this is not the best price however, so do some shopping around if you plan to buy it)

http://www.cajun-outdoor-cooking.com/matbrdoggrto.html

This tool has curved razor blades, so you do need to be careful, but it is a miracle for getting out all that extra undercoat that causes the mats to form. When used properly you will be amazed at the amount of shedded hair will come out of 1 animal.

Here is a photo of a shedding comb. And metal comb with alternating short and long teeth wil do the same job.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068K3LM/nextag-kitchen-20/ref=nosim

After brushing and/or using the mat breaker above, comb through the coat with this comb. It works miracles as well. Will also pull out small mats and can be used on larger mats if used is a "picking" motion.

Good luck.

Laura's Babies
12-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I had a persian that REFUSED any grooming at all and would rip you apart if you tried! I was lucky that she never got mats. My RB Chynna LOVED being groomed and would lay for hours for you to groom him... It is funny the differance in them. Amy will also lay for hours to be brushed with the shedding tool and Giz will try to get it away from you and groom herself. Chester and Samantha are not that impressed with grooming.

RedHedd
12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
What is a matt-breaker? I've never heard of that. Can you get them at most pet stores or will I need to order from a pet supply company? Pic from Petco:
http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/5/5879930001B.jpg
They are pricey but SO worth it. (I see Petco has on sale for $14.99). Take your time gently combing through the mats.

Freedom
12-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Demat BEFORE a bath. Getting the mats wet makes them tighten up and then you have no choice but to cut or shave them out.

Good luck.

kimlovescats
12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
THANK YOU for all the links and pics! I bought an undercoat rake (dog) today at Wal-Mart to try. If it won't do the trick, I will definitely buy the other two tools!!! I order fairly regularly from online pet supply companies any way! I'll keep you informed of the outcome! Wish me (us) luck! :rolleyes:

catnapper
12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Poor Panda, poor Kim!

Allen needed a bit of grooming in the back-end region the other day too... he was ticked off with me cleaning just short hairs, I can't imagine how ticked he'd be to clean long hairs!

catmandu
12-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Kim, I had that problem with Mr Fluffy, and had to wash his behind in the laundry tub, and have him groomed afterwards.He was not a Happy Camper.
I am sure that Panda did not mean to bite you, you must have caught him off guard.