PDA

View Full Version : Calling all folks who've used piddle pads.

Sevaede
12-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Do any of you or have you used piddle pads? Spanky is a Chihuahua.

I am so embarassed. I feel like all of my knowledge regarding dogs flew out the window when Spanky came into our lives.

We got Spanky, and knew we were gonna move, but had to do it sooner and faster than thought. So, we found this place which is a quadplex but there's no yard so we had to train her to use the piddle pads. We ended up picking this place because the landlady was the only person so open to the fact that we had two cats and one dog.

Now, therein lies the problem. Spanky is almost seven months old and she is very smart.

We have a kitchen which is where she has two piddle pads. Now, if we're not watching her every waking move during the daytime, she sometimes won't make the effort to go across the house to use the pads (and it is hardly a lengthy trek, like she would have you believe). Troy wishes she would pick it up soon. So here's my plan: I figured I've been inconsistent so what I am going to do is keep her in the kitchen with the gate up at all times so she has no excuse not to use the piddle pad. Of course her food, water, bed, blanket, and some toys will be in there. Take her out for a few minutes when I notice she has pottied and then put her back in there. She seems to be highly motivated by being taken out of the kitchen and will do good for a couple of days and then stop trying. I might just switch to regular newspaper, too, because that seems to yield MUCH better results with her.

So what do you think? What do you think would be the most effective way of training her to use the piddle pad? Any and all suggestions are welcomed and will be tried and appreciated.

Dorothy39
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't have any experience , yet~

But, my daughter , who lives in Florida, will be coming up for a short visit next week.

she will be bringing along her Chihuahua, Bella, along with Bella's Piddle Pads :rolleyes: :D

I've never met Bella~ I've only seem hundreds of pictures of her~I can't wait!!

I do think that Bella was already trained to use piddle pads when she was adopted~

I'd try the method you mentioned ~ praising Spanky when he uses the pads, of course ;) , He wouldn't have to be held captive once he catches on ~I hope this idea works.

I can't wait to read more replies~

TamanduaGirl
12-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Does she have a favorite spot or just anywhere when she's out? Hyzzie was horrible to pad train because she was mostly ferral when I got her and used to peeing anywhere the urge hit her. She also has a tinn y blader and scared of the dark so needed a pad for during the night.

It took longer than it should have to train her because I got a job that took me away from home a lot just as she was getting it. I use washable pee pads they are THE BEST. You can buy an atractant for the pad if needed. Pua even uses pee pads. I put them where ever she choose to pee and we are now down to two favorite spots, in her crate and in my closet.

With the dogs I had tp put the pad in a big shallow tray(fridge tray I think from home depot) so they wouldn't wander off midd poop or pee. You may need a pad in a favored spot in the other room then slowly move it to where you want it.

The mothode you mention trying is said to work good though. All miner were adults when I started. Really though even most exotic owners swear by the washable pads but not all. If she prefers newspaper you can go with that then once she has it good try switching to what you prefer if it's that important. Some animals just have a preference of pad/litter and you just have to give them that.

My bridge dog Goldie was trained to go outside so would never have trained to pads but then at her max she was taking 8 walks a day. Not to pee she just loved walks.

catnapper
12-11-2006, 08:09 AM
I see your problem, like you said "When we're not watching her every move" You HAVE to be supervising at all times. If you can not, crate her. At least til she's 100% potty trained.

If she likes newspaper, then maybe she'll like to be litterbox trained. They use newspaper pellets in the bottom of doggy litterboxes. I always thought if I ever got a small god that I'd litterbox train them along with the cats! :p

BitsyNaceyDog
12-11-2006, 08:34 AM
If she poops somewhere other than on the pad pick up the poop and put it on the pad, leave it there and let her sniff and get used to it being there. do the same if she pees, before you clean up the pee try to soak a some of it up with the pad, then leave the pad down for awhile. Be sure to clean the spot on the floor well with a good cleaner so she won't go back to that spot again.

If you use newspaper I'd suggest putting a pee pad under it. Newspaper isn't too absorbent and it may leak through. The ink on the newspaper (especially when wet) may stain the floor. You could also get a pee pad holder (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9908&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032890&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1165847365617&itemNo=0&Ntt=pee+pad+holders&In=All&previousText=pee+pad+holders&N=2) to keep under the newspaper.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Do any of you or have you used piddle pads? Spanky is a Chihuahua.

I am so embarassed. I feel like all of my knowledge regarding dogs flew out the window when Spanky came into our lives.

We got Spanky, and knew we were gonna move, but had to do it sooner and faster than thought. So, we found this place which is a quadplex but there's no yard so we had to train her to use the piddle pads. We ended up picking this place because the landlady was the only person so open to the fact that we had two cats and one dog.

Now, therein lies the problem. Spanky is almost seven months old and she is very smart.

We have a kitchen which is where she has two piddle pads. Now, if we're not watching her every waking move during the daytime, she sometimes won't make the effort to go across the house to use the pads (and it is hardly a lengthy trek, like she would have you believe). Troy wishes she would pick it up soon. So here's my plan: I figured I've been inconsistent so what I am going to do is keep her in the kitchen with the gate up at all times so she has no excuse not to use the piddle pad. Of course her food, water, bed, blanket, and some toys will be in there. Take her out for a few minutes when I notice she has pottied and then put her back in there. She seems to be highly motivated by being taken out of the kitchen and will do good for a couple of days and then stop trying. I might just switch to regular newspaper, too, because that seems to yield MUCH better results with her.

So what do you think? What do you think would be the most effective way of training her to use the piddle pad? Any and all suggestions are welcomed and will be tried and appreciated.
I am concerned she has a mild or beginning of a urinary infection. That needs to be ruled out first.
Piddle pads usually back fire as it teaches the dog to go in the house. My step son uses them for his little min pin as they live in a penthouse type in a huge city. However- at my suggestion, they placed it in a cat litter box. Number one, it contains the odor, and number to, the place to go becomes more of an object ( the box) than 'where" ( the house..)

Sevaede
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I see your problem, like you said "When we're not watching her every move" You HAVE to be supervising at all times. If you can not, crate her. At least til she's 100% potty trained.

If she likes newspaper, then maybe she'll like to be litterbox trained. They use newspaper pellets in the bottom of doggy litterboxes. I always thought if I ever got a small god that I'd litterbox train them along with the cats! :p

Heh, I should have clarified. When I said the every move thing, she is always in a room with us and we can see what she is doing but sometimes she'll just wander off for a sec and pee and come back like nothing ever happened. Then we'll find it later. I agree, though, I should be keeping a *sharp* eye on her. Is it pertinent that she is crated when I am not watching her or can I just confine her to the kitchen?

I thought about doing the litterbox thing, actually. Any idea on how I would get that to work? Same basic idea?

Sevaede
12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Does she have a favorite spot or just anywhere when she's out? Hyzzie was horrible to pad train because she was mostly ferral when I got her and used to peeing anywhere the urge hit her. She also has a tinn y blader and scared of the dark so needed a pad for during the night.

It took longer than it should have to train her because I got a job that took me away from home a lot just as she was getting it. I use washable pee pads they are THE BEST. You can buy an atractant for the pad if needed. Pua even uses pee pads. I put them where ever she choose to pee and we are now down to two favorite spots, in her crate and in my closet.

With the dogs I had tp put the pad in a big shallow tray(fridge tray I think from home depot) so they wouldn't wander off midd poop or pee. You may need a pad in a favored spot in the other room then slowly move it to where you want it.

The mothode you mention trying is said to work good though. All miner were adults when I started. Really though even most exotic owners swear by the washable pads but not all. If she prefers newspaper you can go with that then once she has it good try switching to what you prefer if it's that important. Some animals just have a preference of pad/litter and you just have to give them that.

My bridge dog Goldie was trained to go outside so would never have trained to pads but then at her max she was taking 8 walks a day. Not to pee she just loved walks.

No, no favourite spots really.

Thank you for the suggestions! :D I will definitely try out that box idea.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
The box idea worked for my step son and his min pin. It makes a defined area. ( as stated above)

Sevaede
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
If she poops somewhere other than on the pad pick up the poop and put it on the pad, leave it there and let her sniff and get used to it being there. do the same if she pees, before you clean up the pee try to soak a some of it up with the pad, then leave the pad down for awhile. Be sure to clean the spot on the floor well with a good cleaner so she won't go back to that spot again.

If you use newspaper I'd suggest putting a pee pad under it. Newspaper isn't too absorbent and it may leak through. The ink on the newspaper (especially when wet) may stain the floor. You could also get a pee pad holder (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9908&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032890&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1165847365617&itemNo=0&Ntt=pee+pad+holders&In=All&previousText=pee+pad+holders&N=2) to keep under the newspaper.

Thank you! :D

We will be buying some Natures Miracle this week and using that.

About the newspaper/pad combo, maybe I should leave part of the pad exposed and gradually just decrease the size of the newspaper?

Sevaede
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
The box idea worked for my step son and his min pin. It makes a defined area. ( as stated above)

Yes, I understand this. Thank you.

I will definitely be trying it out (as stated above, as well). :D

catnapper
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
The wandering into another room thing makes me think she's "ashamed" to potty in front of you. What do you do when you find her "accidents"?

Sevaede
12-12-2006, 01:01 AM
The wandering into another room thing makes me think she's "ashamed" to potty in front of you. What do you do when you find her "accidents"?

I take her with me and use a piece of tp to wipe up the piddle. I say in a stern (but level) voice "we do *not* potty here" I take her to her piddle pad and set the soiled tp on the pad and put her next to it and tell her "This is where you potty." and then I repeat potty a couple of times and tell her "That is a good girl! You're such a good girl, Spanky!" in an enthusiastic voice. :)