PDA

View Full Version : Another question about pregnant dog.

angelbow20
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok tonight I notcied my dog acting more different, whenever we go to pet near her face she turns her head quick and blinks alot like shes afraid or something. almost like it looks like she is afraid we are going to hit her, she is crying alittle off and on and she has milk in her sacs, But she is strill eating and stuff so I dont think she is in labor, on the 27th of november the vet said he thought she was about 35 days along by the xrays. is this normal? and is the twitching ok also?

Vela
12-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Call the vet and ask them.

angelbow20
12-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Well I called the emergceny vet and she said its ok to produce milk up to 2 weeks before delivery but I always thought it came only a few days before, and since she is eating and stuff I highly doubt she is in labor. I dont know if she was playing with the dogs and one might have bit her cheek or something and now she is uncomfortable when we go near to pet her because of it even though there isnt any marks on her face or if she is doing it because she is getting ore cautious with people now that she is getting closer to deliver because we never hit or anything so she cant be afraid and twitching because of that. The vet didnt say anything about the twitching, thats why I wasnt sure what was wrong.

angelbow20
12-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Also I didnt want to run her to the emergency vet if it wasnt anything serious sounding because she has a vet appt tom to see for sure how many pups she is carrying and to see if we can see how far for sure she is, so if it didnt sound to serious I wouldnt feel so paranoid and can wait til tom. because the emergency vet will drain me on money for sure.

buttercup132
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Why was she bred?:confused:
I hope she is ok.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Why was she bred?:confused:
I hope she is ok.
I have explained that in atleast 2 threads already. it wasnt planned and we were waiting til after xmas to get her fixed when I actually would have the money and she ended up getting out and pregnant because she jumped or fence.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:23 AM
anglebow- this is early to be producing milk. Maybe the vet was wrong in how far along she was. Any signs of restlessness, is not normal, and can even be signs of whelp. Also the twitching makes no sense. Unless she is actually in early labor and blinking because she thinks ' yes something is hurting me.." You really need to run her by the vet for a wellness visit.

Also- remember- she needs a oxytocin shot with in 12-24 hours after having the pups. Not only does this let the milk down, but also cleans things out to prevent pyrametia or mastitus.. You can actually loose the mother if this is not done... It also helps the runts gain weight as the milk becomes more calories .. Make sure you do it.
What food is she eating? she needs alot of calories now. Also during the labor, to keep her blood sugar up, you can make a " mommy cocktail". I take raw egg, molassas or honey, soaked in dog food ( I use bil jac during this time) and she should have this little cocktail about every 2 -3 hours. Mother nature is telling her not to bite down, so that little bit of kibble ( meaning a handful if that) needs to be really soaked in the raw egg. The moloassas is ony like a teaspoon.. ( if that..)

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 01:46 PM
anglebow- this is early to be producing milk. Maybe the vet was wrong in how far along she was. Any signs of restlessness, is not normal, and can even be signs of whelp. Also the twitching makes no sense. Unless she is actually in early labor and blinking because she thinks ' yes something is hurting me.." You really need to run her by the vet for a wellness visit.

Also- remember- she needs a oxytocin shot with in 12-24 hours after having the pups. Not only does this let the milk down, but also cleans things out to prevent pyrametia or mastitus.. You can actually loose the mother if this is not done... It also helps the runts gain weight as the milk becomes more calories .. Make sure you do it.
What food is she eating? she needs alot of calories now. Also during the labor, to keep her blood sugar up, you can make a " mommy cocktail". I take raw egg, molassas or honey, soaked in dog food ( I use bil jac during this time) and she should have this little cocktail about every 2 -3 hours. Mother nature is telling her not to bite down, so that little bit of kibble ( meaning a handful if that) needs to be really soaked in the raw egg. The moloassas is ony like a teaspoon.. ( if that..)

Umm well she is eating puppy chow mixed with purina or something and my mom gave her some leftover ham and cabbage and cheese. we also give her canned food mixed with her regular food. She is really filled with milk and they said she can start getting milk up to 2 weeks before and she is due around 2 weeks or less. She isnt really restless I put her in the house lastnight and we slept downstairs with her so I could watch her and she kept jumping on the one couch with my 3 old son and sleeping with him then moved to the one corner of the room to sleep. I have a few pics I took today so you can see how big she is and see if she looks ok.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Question- what do you mean you " put her in the house last night"? You do know being pregnant is a serious stress, and she should be in the house all the time... HOney- cabbage for a dog? YOu are lucky she does not have a major upset stomach..

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
well she is usaully in a special room that we made for the dogs and since she chews and doesnt like it inside our house much we didnt want to put her in right away because she usually wants right back out, yeah well I told her not to give the cabbage to her but she thought it would be fine. she still has been eating and playing so he isnt ready right yet I dont think. When we take her to the vet at 4 my dad will have him check everything and see how many she really has, I dont think she is carrying that many because she doesnt look that big and when we last looks we saw 2 or 3 but there could be more he said, we are keeping her in for good now until the pups are alot older or until we give them to there new homes.

critter crazy
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
WOW!!! She is Gorgeous!! I just love her coloring!! I know nothing about pregnant dogs, as I have never had one, But she looks ready to explode any minute!! Her teats are huge!!!

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Can she get out of the yard?

Vela
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
She got out of the yard and got pregnant, so yes she can.

critter crazy
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
you just stated that she is kept outside, but before you stated this is how she got pregnant!!

I have explained that in atleast 2 threads already. it wasnt planned and we were waiting til after xmas to get her fixed when I actually would have the money and she ended up getting out and pregnant because she jumped or fence.

have you fixed the yard so she cannot escape again?? I am hoping so!

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Look- I am not going to sit here and tell you how I care for a female dog in whelp. None of that matters other than eduction. However- I will say this- being pregnant is a stress- especially in cold weather- the pups could die, or she could try to go find a warm place to give birth, outside in the elements- cold or not, another dog could hurt her etc. You need to bring her in the house. Make a warm place " in this dog room" for her to have her puppies- even if its a plastic childs swiming pool. Puppy food of what you are feeding is better, but its still lower in protein than adult food with this one. Whatever you do NOW OR NOT give her now, will take its toll on her body.
Two to 3 puppies my foot- I would easily say 6.. And by keeping her outside is probably why you guys are having pups anyway. After this over, please spay her.
Remember what I said about care after they are born. I would suggest a better food for this last two weeks and 4 weeks while the pups are nursing. I like Bil jac Select. Add a raw egg to it. She needs to eat 3 times a day as she can not hold that much in her stomach now with so little room. Just guessing- her normal body weight looks about 70 to me, so this pg she should get two cups 3 times a day - ie every 6 hours during the day. If she is less than that normal weight- then adjust. Whatever her normal weight was- you are adding one feeding. Example- if a food says 4 cups a day for a 60 pound dog- half of that is 2 cups- so she would get two cups on the mid day feeding. If her stomach gets upset from over eating, take the mid day feeding down a half cup.
I am desperately withholding judgement. What matters now is for her and unborn pups, and other things will come after we get through this. Unless you want the pups dead at birth, KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE. Whether she likes it or not. Even if she has to stay with you..

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 02:41 PM
on more thing here anglebow- IF the vet is right, and they only saw 2-3 pups- as big as she is- you better be prepared for a C section. She is huge, and with only those few, no way in the world could she deliver them safetly to her or the pups..

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Do you know how to whelp a litter? There are things you have got to know. Her life could depend on it. ..If you do not I can try to help but understand between each sentence- if what I say doesnt work, grab the phone and call the vet..
Too many people dismiss " well dogs have pups every day. " Same logic as for a woman" they have been having babies for man kind as well".. Well they also died just as often..

buttercup132
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Calm down it was only a question not everyone on PT follows around your posts to see what you have written. sheesh..

cabbage for a dog? YOu are lucky she does not have a major upset stomach..That's what I was thinking especially if she is pregnant.
And cheese isn't that great either, scratch that NONE of it is really good for her..being a pregnant dog you should be trying to keep her healthy not feeding her table scraps.

So let me get this, you didn't get her fixed as a puppy, you failed to watch her and secure the yard while she was in heat, you feed her table scraps wich is already bad let alone while she is pregnant, and she lived outside while being pregnant until now. Now that's what I call good ownership..:rolleyes:

Good thing there are people like Bmom on here that know what they are talking about.

areias
12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.rottie-l.org/pregnant.html
Read this thoroughly.

After your dog is done with the puppies, GET HER SPAYED. You don't want a pyometra. You don't want more puppies. Keep the dog inside while she is pregnant and walk her on a leash-just like you should have done when she was in heat.

Have your credit card handy, since there is always a chance of needing a c-section-if she needs one, get her spayed while they're in there. And clear your schedule too, if the bitch rejects her pups or her milk dries up, and you are bottle feeding 8 needy puppies. I bottle fed 3 kittens for a weekend and I was almost pulling my hair out.

My dogs are fixed, not only because of pet overpopulation and the health risks, but also because I have no clue on whelping puppies. If I couldn't afford to spay my dog when I got her, I wouldn't have gotten her in the first place. If you couldn't afford a SPAY how in the world are you going to be able to afford a litter of puppies? WITHOUT a c-section, you are going to spend much, much more than the spay alone, if you want the pups to live.

I am utterly disgusted that a member of PT could allow this to happen, after all the education we try to give. It's one thing for someone uneducated at all...and anothing thing for the people that just don't listen.

I have stayed away from this, just like some of the other PTers, but I felt the need to post my opinion. I can't wait to see half your litter sitting in the gas chamber at your local shelter. :mad:

Vela
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I just feel so bad for the poor dog...I hope she is okay through this. I echo some of the above sentiments but have tried really hard not to say anything. I do just hope she comes through okay and is spayed immediately after. Good luck momma and babies.

applesmom
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
According to the photos the puppies are still too far forward for birth to be imminent.

It usually takes at least a few days or more to move them all down towards the birth canal. If she does only have 3 (or 4) puppies in there I would be sure to have your vet on standby in case she needs an emergency c-section.
Even the process of moving 3 or four huge puppies toward the birth canal could exhaust her before the actual birth.

Just in case she is further along than you think, she should be set up in a seperate room inside with her whelping box whenever you can't keep an eye on her. If she should have the puppies outside and they are allowed to become chilled you could lose them all.

Also if she has a small litter you'll need to watch her very carefully for signs of mastitis. A combination of copious amounts of milk and a smaller than usual litter make a nursing mom a prime candidate for mastitis.

The hair on her stomach and around her rear and top of her tail should be trimmed before she gives birth too.

There are dozens of links available on the internet that are dedicated to the care of pregnant bitches, whelping, and care and raising of puppies. I'll be happy to post some of those links for you if you'd like.

Good luck. I hope all goes smooth as silk and all the pups grow up to be happy, healthy, beloved speutered pets with forever homes.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I was hoping so applesmom as she is pretty tucked but its hard to say.. I had a female drop in 48 hours..

luvofallhorses
12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I just feel so bad for the poor dog...I hope she is okay through this. I echo some of the above sentiments but have tried really hard not to say anything. I do just hope she comes through okay and is spayed immediately after. Good luck momma and babies.

ditto.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
you just stated that she is kept outside, but before you stated this is how she got pregnant!!

have you fixed the yard so she cannot escape again?? I am hoping so!

yeah he have a fenced in yard and a doggy door to go into the fenced in yard, we made the fence higher so she cant get out again.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Look- I am not going to sit here and tell you how I care for a female dog in whelp. None of that matters other than eduction. However- I will say this- being pregnant is a stress- especially in cold weather- the pups could die, or she could try to go find a warm place to give birth, outside in the elements- cold or not, another dog could hurt her etc. You need to bring her in the house. Make a warm place " in this dog room" for her to have her puppies- even if its a plastic childs swiming pool. Puppy food of what you are feeding is better, but its still lower in protein than adult food with this one. Whatever you do NOW OR NOT give her now, will take its toll on her body.
Two to 3 puppies my foot- I would easily say 6.. And by keeping her outside is probably why you guys are having pups anyway. After this over, please spay her.
Remember what I said about care after they are born. I would suggest a better food for this last two weeks and 4 weeks while the pups are nursing. I like Bil jac Select. Add a raw egg to it. She needs to eat 3 times a day as she can not hold that much in her stomach now with so little room. Just guessing- her normal body weight looks about 70 to me, so this pg she should get two cups 3 times a day - ie every 6 hours during the day. If she is less than that normal weight- then adjust. Whatever her normal weight was- you are adding one feeding. Example- if a food says 4 cups a day for a 60 pound dog- half of that is 2 cups- so she would get two cups on the mid day feeding. If her stomach gets upset from over eating, take the mid day feeding down a half cup.
I am desperately withholding judgement. What matters now is for her and unborn pups, and other things will come after we get through this. Unless you want the pups dead at birth, KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE. Whether she likes it or not. Even if she has to stay with you..

She is in the house now, we brought her in yesterday. She is exactly outside when she was out there its another room we made just for our dogs and for us when he lots of company, it has a doggy dog to go outside and its a heated room wita fireplace, but now she is inside.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Please CLOSE that doggie door. You do not want her to try and leave to have her pups. She needs to stay inside to feel at home to whelp... Make her a bed- even its a baby plastic pool with blankets.. Make her a bed..

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Well we just got back from the vets and he said she has about 8 pups and that she is very healthy and that she can go from today til xmas, I do have people who breed dogs who I know that gave me there number incase I needed help as well as I know all about bottle feeding animals I have done it a dozen times to kittens that we saved or ones where the mothers died. I have all the numbers and everything on hand and im not a bad pet owner like some of you may think I take care of my animals very well, she got pregnant it was by mistake, it doesnt mean im a horrible owner or dont care for my pets, and dont worry they wont be going to the spca I have already lines up good homes and have sites saved on my computer for when she is giving birth and bought all the supplies.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Please CLOSE that doggie door. You do not want her to try and leave to have her pups. She needs to stay inside to feel at home to whelp... Make her a bed- even its a baby plastic pool with blankets.. Make her a bed..
SHE IS INSIDE NOW AND WE ARE MAKING HER A BED.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Well we just got back from the vets and he said she has about 8 pups and that she is very healthy and that she can go from today til xmas, I do have people who breed dogs who I know that gave me there number incase I needed help as well as I know all about bottle feeding animals I have done it a dozen times to kittens that we saved or ones where the mothers died. I have all the numbers and everything on hand and im not a bad pet owner like some of you may think I take care of my animals very well, she got pregnant it was by mistake, it doesnt mean im a horrible owner or dont care for my pets, and dont worry they wont be going to the spca I have already lines up good homes and have sites saved on my computer for when she is giving birth and bought all the supplies.
That is exactly what I thought! I knew she had at least 6 to be that big!
what supplies to you have?

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
That is exactly what I thought! I knew she had at least 6 to be that big!
what supplies to you have?
I looked up a birthing site and whelping site for dogs. I bought towels, blankets, swissors, floss, cottonballs, a thermometer, suction things for the nose and mouth, some other things I forget I have them in a box in our spare room, I didnt buy oitment because I didnt know what kind to buy for the pups cords if I need them, I have the emergency vet and my vets number, 2 friends who breed dogs and another friend who has delivered pups also a friend who is going to be a nurse and actually knows how to delivery human babies and a retired GYN doctor to help also.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
right now my dad is making her welping box so she will have that by tonight, and she has been hanging low like since she was pregnant, she carried the pups when she was noticable, I guess she is kinda big but I dont think she looks that big.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Okay for the chords- get a little bottle of iodine. You put a few drops on the cord end and a drop or two on the cord. Tie the cords with dental floss- but make sure you have a firm grip on the puppy as pulling the tummy from the cord will make a hernia.
For towels a pack of cloth diapers ( I use to have 3 packs of 8) are perfect. EAsy to wash with Tide with bleach alternative, and they work. Remember pups can not grip on newspaper so the sooner to a blanket- have one for the birth, one for after she is done, then wash it seperately. I use to let the females sleep on the birthing blankets for a few days, then wash, then keep them until I saw signs of birth. They knew the blankets by then. I use to put in some newspaper at the front because the mothers like to tear up the papers when getting ready- but got the paper out after they already started delivery.
When the pups are born, break the sack at the head- mother can eat a few placentas, but not many- it makes their stomach upset. Usually her licking the face helps, but watch for open mouths with the pups- that means they can not breathe.

I will stop with the rest of this as you said you have a near by person that knows how to do puppies. Remember- the pups should come every 20 minutes- no longer than an 30 and by 45 watch for signs of strain- at a hour- call the vet!

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Okay for the chords- get a little bottle of iodine. You put a few drops on the cord end and a drop or two on the cord. Tie the cords with dental floss- but make sure you have a firm grip on the puppy as pulling the tummy from the cord will make a hernia.
For towels a pack of cloth diapers ( I use to have 3 packs of 8) are perfect. EAsy to wash with Tide with bleach alternative, and they work. Remember pups can not grip on newspaper so the sooner to a blanket- have one for the birth, one for after she is done, then wash it seperately. I use to let the females sleep on the birthing blankets for a few days, then wash, then keep them until I saw signs of birth. They knew the blankets by then. I use to put in some newspaper at the front because the mothers like to tear up the papers when getting ready- but got the paper out after they already started delivery.
When the pups are born, break the sack at the head- mother can eat a few placentas, but not many- it makes their stomach upset. Usually her licking the face helps, but watch for open mouths with the pups- that means they can not breathe.

I will stop with the rest of this as you said you have a near by person that knows how to do puppies. Remember- the pups should come every 20 minutes- no longer than an 30 and by 45 watch for signs of strain- at a hour- call the vet!

Use like baby diapers? I do actually have some I have a little boy who is potty training now so we have them and I bought like dish towels incase I need them to wipe the pups, and for sure I need to break the sacs? and then if she isnt to eat all the placentas what should I do with them?

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Use like baby diapers? I do actually have some I have a little boy who is potty training now so we have them and I bought like dish towels incase I need them to wipe the pups, and for sure I need to break the sacs? and then if she isnt to eat all the placentas what should I do with them?
Yes cloth baby diapers are perfect. Just big enough for each puppy. do not use bleach to wash them- just your normal detergent. To get the blood off of them afterwards, I found Tide with bleach alternative soaked for 10 minutes worked great!
As far as the other placentas- I would just take them off, and had a little trash bag. Then threw them out after the vet came. Its so rich in iron, it makes the female constipated, so usually I let her just have like two.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes cloth baby diapers are perfect. Just big enough for each puppy. do not use bleach to wash them- just your normal detergent. To get the blood off of them afterwards, I found Tide with bleach alternative soaked for 10 minutes worked great!
As far as the other placentas- I would just take them off, and had a little trash bag. Then threw them out after the vet came. Its so rich in iron, it makes the female constipated, so usually I let her just have like two.

We dont actually have a vet that will come we need to take our dog to the emergency vet or the regular if its before 7 pm. the only thing im actually scared about is making sure she can clean them, and bite the cords and stuff, obviously if I have to I will do it but im not really experienced in it and if its like 4 am im sure people wont get here on time to help or if they are working. Ive been a wreck since she got pregnant and the vet told me to stop being so scared and stress because he feels strongly that her instincts will do it all and she will be fine and since she is healthy and everything he doesnt think there will be any problems but I still cant stop watching her every move and being all scared and upset for her, and not trying to sound mean but coming on this site made me feel 10 times worse about myself because a mistake happened and I guess nobody ever has a mistake. but thanks for helping me anyway.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Okay- for the puppy sacs- when the puppy comes out, let mom lick the puppy, but you put your index finger under the throat of the puppy and that cuts the sac, pull it back over the head, = letting mom lick the puppy. the sack will fall over the puppy. first is to get the puppy to respond to mom. Once quiet and mom is okay, put the puppy in your lap ( you are kneeling on your knees) on a diaper, using your thumb as a measurement of a full section of the first knucle of your thumb ( about a little over an inch at the bend in your thumb) cut the cord, dip in iodine and put a few drops at the base, and tie with dental floss non waxed. Rub the puppy gently keeping it active and give to mom. Watch her she doesnt try to get the dental floss off. She knows that is not supposed to be there.. lol.. I just push her nose away with praise praise slow gentle and calm.
I will pm you what to do if a puppy gets stuck.. Or you can talk to your friend and if you have questions pm me.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
thanks for trying to help.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
We dont actually have a vet that will come we need to take our dog to the emergency vet or the regular if its before 7 pm. the only thing im actually scared about is making sure she can clean them, and bite the cords and stuff, obviously if I have to I will do it but im not really experienced in it and if its like 4 am im sure people wont get here on time to help or if they are working. Ive been a wreck since she got pregnant and the vet told me to stop being so scared and stress because he feels strongly that her instincts will do it all and she will be fine and since she is healthy and everything he doesnt think there will be any problems but I still cant stop watching her every move and being all scared and upset for her, and not trying to sound mean but coming on this site made me feel 10 times worse about myself because a mistake happened and I guess nobody ever has a mistake. but thanks for helping me anyway.
Her instincts will but they can cut the cords too short. That is why also I said to bring her in now so she is use to interaction with you, and being in the house and will not be over zeolous and will be nice and relaxed.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 07:40 PM
And do not feel " worse" - this is a major event and asking for help is " very adult" ish.. I watched litters my whole life, but will admit my first litter as an adult, I read books, talked to people all the time- meanwhile saying to myself- now what did mom do.. what was that uh... etc..
Its different when its your puppies. Its different when its your child.. It makes the whole thing real as the sun is rising.. Asking is half the battle honey- and receiving advise from those that have been there, is half of it too. You can not go back to the barn once the horse is out- and you can not make her " un pregnant" .. We have to deal with what we have, and go from there. I am here.. I am also a phone call away if you want it. I am not a vet, but had several litters.
Dogs have their litters, or start their labors at night mostly. NOT ONCE did I have a female whelp her litter in the middle of the day.. not once! I use to sleep with my females at night. I slept in their room with them. Not only did this help with bonding before the birth but I could be aware of their restlessness. I start 4 days before birth is expected.

angelbow20
12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
thanks alot, Im really not a HORRIBLE owner, I think I do pretty good for having 2 rescue dogs well I did have 3 but one got so mean towards the other dogs i had to give her to a home with no other pets, and 2 other dogs, 2 rabbits a cat and a 3 yr old son, its not that I dont have the money to take care of my animals its that I have to watch what I spend it on and didnt think Grace would have even gotten pregnant because she never once jumped our 5 ft fence until that time. and I pay for every single bill, all the food and grooming as well as everything else myself on a part time job. If I didnt take the animals in that I have they would already prolly be dead so calling me a horrible owner isnt what I would call myself, Like I said im sure im not the only one who made a mistake and has an animal that had puppies or kittens or any other animal. One more question is if fine if I feed her carrots and other veggies, I see that cabbage isnt good but is there any other that would be really good for her? because she eats like a horse even beofre she was pregnant she ate more than my other 3 dogs and sits and begs and steals stuff out of my sons hands.

borzoimom
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I never EVER said you were a horrible owner. This whole thing is why people let their dogs get pregnant- they have no idea it takes so much work.. Now you know... Same reason why I have arthritis in my knees... this happens, but you are seeking help, and we will try as long as you receive the advice given.