PDA

View Full Version : Started volunteering at the SPCA

caseysmom
12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
My daughter needed community service for High School and she wants to become a vet so she needs to show volunteer work with animals. One of the SPCA's in a neighboring county lets those under 18 volunteer with a parent present.

We went through the cat socialization class yesterday and started our volunteer work. Right now the cats don't get to come out of their cage, there is a mysterious illness that they think might be attributed to anti bacterial lotions but they aren't taking any chances. We have to wear plastic robes and gloves that have to be changed in between cages.

I got to pet and love 3 kitties, they have been there a long time, one since may, once since July and one since August. Poor girls just sit in those cages all day long. One was so happy to be pet that she gave me a love bite...I feel so bad for them but thankfully this shelter does not euthanize unless they are sick, aggressive or feral.

I wonder how many cats I will end up with :D

buttercup132
12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Awww how nice of you guys!
I bet your drooling over this just as much as your daughter:p
My guess is you will end up with 5 :)

caseysmom
12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah...well I hope not!

We are learning a lot, I learned how to trim potters nails...sounds silly but I was afraid to do it before.

Freedom
12-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I started out volunteering at te city shelter. Then I got my first cat . . . and the rest, well, just look at my signature, ha ha.

Yes, you WILL learn some thing that will help at home, like trimming nails. It is fun and you are fortunate to be at a "no kill" shelter. Our city shleter, like so many, only holds them for just so long. That was very hard to deal with.

Glad to hear you are doing this with your daughter!

catmandu
12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I used to volunteer at the SPCA, but they have moved it fae away, and about a mile off the bus route.
I used to enjoy going into the rooms with toys and making the animals feel better.
Have fun with those Cats and Kittens, your socializing with them will make them more adoptable.

KitCat
12-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Those kitties really need some TLC after sitting in cages all the time. Keep up the good work!