PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit agility and some cool training tips [[And rats]]

buttercup132
12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
The girl I work with has a bunny too and she said she was going to start agility with her.
She said she would send me links but hasn't yet so I looke dit up for myself and this site is very knowlagable.
Not only for bunny agility but for basic training. So I thought I would share because there has been alot more bunnies coming on PT latley.
http://www.rabbitagility.com/trainingarticles.php

EDIT:// If you go to the side navagate bar at the bottom there is agility for rats.

Karen
12-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Actually, that site contains some serious errors - it says it's okay to use kitty litter for your rabbit, which it is NOT! Kitty litter dust can give rabbits lung disease, and can kill them, and that's not even considering the hazards if they nibble it, as it's usually clay based and not meant to be ingested!

buttercup132
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I can't find where it says that.:confused:
I know cat litter isn't good for them.

Lol Chilli should try this with her ratty boys.:p

Karen
12-10-2006, 05:37 PM
The fifth section with Pink headings is litter box training - that's where it says kitty litter and pine shavings are okay - neither of which is!

Chilli
12-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Ha! That is so cool. I wouldn't even begin to think of something like that... I really want to try that with my boys & girls during break. My rats would probably just try to eat the equipment then pee on them. :D Lol!

buttercup132
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
:confused:That's weird. I'll e-mail them.
I found a few videos of the rabbits doing "hopping" wich is kind of similar.
I put a pole on the ground and two bins and started teaching Tedd to jump over them. LOL he caught on 10 minutes later.

I just said this to them

I was browsing your site on bunny agility and saw this about litter training.
We have found that a kitty litter box works well for rabbits. Hospital pans are great for smaller breeds. You can buy pet litter pans in a pet store or pet dept. You can use kitty litter, pine shavings or sand as litter for your rabbits. Sand will make a mess, it is the best liked by rabbits but is the least liked by humans, but it is cheap.
I thought I would bring it to your attention that none of those suggestions are good for rabbits. Kitty litter dust can give the bunnies upper respratory diseases and lung problems. Not to mention if it is digested wich most bunnies try to do it can cause a blockage and kiddney problems and urinary. Pine shavings or any shavings for that matter are bad for them too as they too can cause URI and they are sharp. Sand isn't good for them incase it gets in their eyes,they eat it and it dosent absorbe odour very well.
You should recoment people use Yesterdays News or products alike.

Kalei
12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Wow you did great at explaining that to them! :) I hope they listen to you and don't be mean back or anything. I always use Yesterday's News and it is the best stuff I have ever come across for rabbits. My bun bun never tries to eat it and she loves sitting in her litter, but when I take her out and smell her feet I'm expecting to smell urine, but her feet actually smells good thanks to the Yesterday's News!:) I highly recommend that for rabbits! Good Job! You should tell us if they reply back to you.