PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that are agressive twards other dogs

*LabLoverKEB*
05-20-2001, 04:46 PM
Sadie is very agressive twards other dogs, especially other females. I know that females aren't supposed to get along with other females, but Sadie barks and growls at them! It drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!! It's soooo embarrasing when she does that!! I need some SERIOUS help! If any of you can help me, please do!! Thanks!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-20-2001, 08:07 PM
Someone please answer me!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
05-20-2001, 08:23 PM
labloverKEB
I know just what you mean about your dog being aggresive, our two Schnauzers don't like other dogs either. Maybe Sadie is being protective toward you at that time. The only thing I could suggest is maybe go to an obedience class with Sadie, maybe you could check to see if there is one in your area.
Since we know our dogs are that way, we just are very careful where we go with them and try to stay away from other dogs.

Corinna
05-20-2001, 08:36 PM
I know this will sound strange if you have trained your dog already but, I find that taking anclass for obedance helps the dogs learn some socalization skills. I also train my dogs in parking lots like walmart in the far place out. They learn to pay attetion and to not worry about other animals. Hope this helps.

KYS
05-20-2001, 08:37 PM
LabLover,
I have the same problem with my male
dog. Believe me it's embarrasing for
me and scary to the other people.
I know that a small group obedience training
class with a great trainer helped quite a bit. As well as continues training at home.
(you might even need a behavorist trainer)
When my male acts up when we are walking
I give him a stiff correction by leash,
and put him in a sit stay usually. If he calms down I give
him lots of praise. If he is real good
I give him praise and treats.
My advise is to find a good trainer/behavorist and train and
socialize.
Good luck I still get embarrased with my male, just not as often or bad.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-20-2001, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys!! i really appreacite (did I spell that right?!) it!!

aly
05-20-2001, 10:12 PM
My lab never did like other dogs either. She never grew out of this but we didn't really try to train her out of it since her exposure to other dogs was EXTREMELY limited. I think obedience class or a trainer are good ideas.

aprilfools
05-21-2001, 08:26 AM
The Website Dr. P's Dog Training Library has some good pointers on dog aggression and lots of articles. home.att.net/~vlea/DOG_FIGHTS.htm is a good one. Try that. Lots ot read be ready.

Sudilar
05-21-2001, 09:59 AM
When I was at the GSD Adoption Event, those handling the Shepherds who were acting up against the other dogs, would say, "Walk it off!" The emphasis was on walk. It seemed to take their minds off the other dogs and concentrate on walk. They would then move them around. Sometimes Shiloh will bark at other dogs when we are on our walks and I tried this method. It really worked. She would stop barking and start walking. This would be for mild cases only, however.

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Rottie
05-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Carl gets aggressive, maybe it's more like very annoyed, by little dogs or puppies that are yappy and "in his face". Any time he shows aggression to these dogs he gets a collar correction. If he's very intense, I put his pinch collar on. He knows that the pinch collar means I am serious.

Albea
05-21-2001, 12:19 PM
LabLover:
Look at the American Dog Trainers Network:
http://www.canine.org/

You might be able to find some useful information. Good luck!

tatsxxx11
05-21-2001, 04:15 PM
Everyone posted my suggestions, e.g. Dog Trainer's Network and Dr. P's. and gave you great advice. Knowledge is the best ammunition. And consistency in your correction technique. Let us know how it goes.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-23-2001, 08:00 PM
Ok Ok, my sweet Sadie isn't agressive. She just is protective of me around other dogs, that's all! So, PLEASE don't think of my Sadie as an agressive or mean dog! She's a sweetheart!:)

------------------
***Sadie May and LabLover***

tatsxxx11
05-24-2001, 06:32 PM
Not to worry! We all know Sadie May is a sweetheart! Can't wait to see her pictures. Give her a big hug and kiss from Sandra, Star and Cody!

------------------
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/025/8L/KU/Dn/rG60915.jpg

KYS
05-24-2001, 10:42 PM
Don't worry Labl..,
As Tats.. said, we know your Sadie isn't mean.
Just some dogs like my Rocky aren't
particular friendly around
strange dogs.
Yet he is my snuggle bug. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif