PDA

View Full Version : Do you like classical music?

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I am curious how many of you like classical music. I am often surprised at my piano students, who have taken years of piano, and have never heard of Chopin!! :eek:

I normally let my students choose some of their own pieces, and after hearing me play them, they usually prefer the "classics" over other pieces. I remember learning about classical music in school, but many of my students aren't even familiar with "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven (I think this is especially surprising since they are taking piano lessons). Am I the only one that finds this surprising, or is this normal?

So, do you like classical music?

Sevaede
12-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Yes! :D We have several CDs (one solely of Chopin, I believe!). We do listen to them as frequently as anything else. :D

I remember going to classical concerts for school in elementary. It was fabulous. :)

I've always wanted to take piano lessons!

kittycats_delight
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Kinda hard for me not to like classical music in my house. My husband is a classical guitarist. And aside from that he is an avid studier of Bach & Mozart(especially) he has the entire collection of both composers. Along with about 500 more classical CDs. :eek:

Karen
12-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Was born into a family of musicians and raised on classical music. I like lots of other kinds of music, too, but when one's mother was a piano teacher who played "the good stuff" at night, after I was tucked into bed and drifting off (I suspect so she could remember what it sounded like played correctly) to sleep, classical music holds a special spot in my brain.

In a week and a day, I'll be at the Messiah Sing my family tries to get to every year - it's just one of those things that really makes the season real for me. The little orchestra starts the opening notes of the Overture, and the world settles into place and my blood pressure drops a few notches.

cassiesmom
12-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I like classical music. I played the flute all the way through college, stopped for awhile to get my career off the ground, and now I'm playing again. This quote from Albert Schweitzer just about sums it up for me: "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."

Suki Wingy
12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
I do like it but I don't often listen. I'm not really a fan of Chopin though, only a horse with the same name!

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-09-2006, 03:28 AM
I do!!! But I don't listen to it very often... :rolleyes:
My favorite composer is Ravel ("Bolero") :)

Cookiebaker
12-09-2006, 04:49 AM
I do!!! But I don't listen to it very often... :rolleyes:
My favorite composer is Ravel ("Bolero") :)

Lut, I loooooooove Bolero -- that was my absolute favorite piece growing up!!! :D I drove my Mom CRAZY because I would play it over and over again. :o

I chose "other". Growing up, that was all we listened to in our house. I don't listen anymore, but there are certain works that I love -- I love Beethoven's symphonies, a lot of Mozart's work, and various other pieces. I have found that since becoming pregnant, I will sometimes turn to the classical radio station in my car. Its very soothing.

GreyhoundGirl
12-09-2006, 06:28 AM
I enjoy playing it more than I enjoy listening to it. Some classical music I like played only on certain instrumants, more than others.

I do listen to classical music though, this morning it's Moonlight Tocata :p

Also, we only work to classical music in Ballet... so... :p

borzoimom
12-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I love classical music!! Zubin is even named for Zubin Metha, as the last concert I was in with Westminster Choir at the NY Philharmonic was Beethovens 9th, and Zubin was the 9th puppy born..
I also love choral arrangements as well. And musicals!

Pam
12-09-2006, 07:57 AM
I love classical music!! Zubin is even named for Zubin Metha,

I wondered about that! :)

I, too, enjoy classical music as does hubby. He has quite a classicial CD collection and listens to it often. I played violin in school (many years ago) and I think that is where I got my initial appreciation for it.

borzoimom
12-09-2006, 08:11 AM
And Zubin acts like him too- full of himself and flamboyant, sensitive but macho!!!! lol.. ( I wonder if he knows he has a dog named about him? I even have his autograph on the musical score- something I treasure!)

cyber-sibes
12-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I love classical music! My favorites are anything Mozart (even his operas), Gershwin, and Copeland. My family did not listen to it, but I heard it when I took ballet from the time was 4 till I was 12, and studied piano briefly (I wish I'd kept it up). I listen to classical stations & cds almost daily, but live is best. The Toledo Symphony played Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (featuring Greg Kostava on the piano) here last year- hearing it live just blew me away!!!

xcolbi
12-09-2006, 09:16 AM
I like some classical music. Our music teacher makes us listen to it every class.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-09-2006, 09:19 AM
It's interesting seeing the variety of composers people enjoy most. I think that many people who don't know much about classical music assume it all sounds the same. My absolute favorites are Rachmaninoff, Debussy, and Chopin.

I really want to learn to play the violin. Vivaldi is another composer I really enjoy, and it would be fantastic if I could play some of his music on the violin.

Felicia's Mom
12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Yes, I like classical music very much. :)

Uabassoon
12-09-2006, 09:59 AM
I love classical music my favorites are Hindemith's Symphonic Metaporphasis, Borodin's Polevestian Dances and Holst's the Planets.

slick
12-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, I do like classical music but don't listen to it very often....mainly at Christmastime.

I was raised on classical and opera although I never did take to opera. I remember Leontyne Price and at Christmas Mom and Dad would play that vinyl over and over again. I do love her rendition of Ave Maria and O Holy Night. I looked for them on the net to download but couldn't find it. I guess it's been taken over by The Puffies or Neon Vomit or some other modern day band. :D :p

I don't really have a favourite composer but Beethoven stands out...I guess because that's what I heard most of growing up.

kimlovescats
12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I LOVE it! I took voice lessons and sang opera pieces! This also explains why two of my kitties are named Bocelli (Andreas Bocelli) and Pavarotti (Luciano Pavarotti)! ;)

NoahsMommy
12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I adore classical music. I've always been quite partial to it growing up - I believe it was because my maternal grandfather often played Beethoven at his house. When I took a Music Appreciation class in school I learned all about the various classical composers and was hooked. I have many CDs that I keep in my car. Classical music tends to calm, energize, make me happy, make me calmer, whatever. When I need something, I turn it on, its so wierd, it can effect me greatly.

I do find it sad and odd that a lot of younger people (I'm 28) don't share the same opinion I do. Its fabulous to listen to.

I think Mozart and Vivaldi are my favorites, but I'm not sure. I love chamber music and we have a truly great local chamber music group that plays at our civic center a few times a month, its fantastic!

*iluvskipper*
12-09-2006, 10:10 PM
umm... no way.

slick
12-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Andrea Bocelli Kim: I adore him. Not only can he sing, but he's my idea of eye candy. :o I've purchased one of his CD's but my Mom has them all.

cloverfdx
12-10-2006, 05:14 AM
I am not a real big classical fan but will listen to it on the radio sometimes ;).

Alysser
12-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I can't say I would listen to it on my own time, but I do like some peices when they are played in school or something. I guess I don't like Classical Music that much because I wasn't really exposed to it like most kids were in music class. In elementry school we only learned about Beethoven for like 2 weeks and then moved on. The teacher never taught us anything else about an other composers or the music at all. My parents never listened to it. Last year in music class(7th grade) we learned about acient music played by eygptians and stuff, nothing about classical. That's the same with sixth grade. Now, I doubt I will ever have another music class agian because we get to pick our own specials and I don't like music as much as the other specials. So, I don't think I'll ever get to into it.

Barbara
12-10-2006, 11:48 AM
My husband has edited several books on classical music (an opera guide etc). He plays the piano and has about 2000 old LPs but now we are having about the same numbers in CDs as well :rolleyes: :eek:

I love classical as well but with someone like him you cannot keep up -so I mostly listen to what he puts on.

My favorite composers are Ravel, Satie, Chopin, Benjamin Britten, Respighi. I love Mozart operas and most of the older music like Scarlatti.

AbbyMom
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Don't you find it interesting that so many PTers enjoy classical music? I only know a few people that do besides my hubby.

At once time, being a classical concert pianist was my ambition. Alas, I started too late without enough talent. But I still enjoy the music.

Karen
12-10-2006, 10:19 PM
That's the same with sixth grade. Now, I doubt I will ever have another music class agian because we get to pick our own specials and I don't like music as much as the other specials. So, I don't think I'll ever get to into it.

When you get to college, take a Music Appreciation elective - you are NOT to old to learn, and it can add a lot to your life!

Cataholic
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I like classical music, and listen to it, largely as background noise anymore. I find most non-instrumental music too distracting to listen to. With classical music, you can just 'feel' its presence in the room.

Having said that, I do not enjoy live performances of any sort, really. Plays, musicals, performances, just too long and not enough activity for me.

Argranade
12-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Sure I listen to it,

Only when my grandpa has it playing in is car lol! baaahaha!

K9karen
12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
My mom used to play it all day while she was home. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me. Once I got past the head bangin' music (OK I still like it) I began to appreciate Opera as well. I love Andrea Bochelli the best.

PS..Thanks for the reminder to put on the Nutcracker