PDA

View Full Version : Dog Ordinance-fighting against it!

lute
12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
a dog show friend of mine that i often attend dog shows with is fighting her city's new dog ordinance so she can keep showing dogs. it's expensive ya know!

-----------------------------------

Animal Ordinance in Effect by Jaimie Weiss

It goes into effect tomorrow.
Vicki Vincent`s siberian huskies are her pride and joy.
But these 11 show dogs don`t come cheap.
Especially with the new animal ordinance.
"I believe the new one is 30 so that`s 10-11- 330 dollars plus a breeders permit."
City council approved the oridnance monday and it will go into effect at the end of this week.
Pet owners must buy license their animal.
"If you spay and neuter your animale we`ll give you a reduced fee. If you don`t you pay higher for it," says animal control superintendent Tom Hayden.
Someone who shows dogs like Vincent can`t neuter her dogs.
She also wonders how they`re going to enforce it.
"It`s punishing responsible owners and people who responsibly breed dogs we`re the only ones who are going to pay this license."
Hayden agrees it will be hard to find those who don`t buy a license, spay or neuter.
"As far as the enforcement we`re doing the same we do now other than it gives us more teeth and more bite in the enforcement."
That extra bite took nearly two years write.
Vincent - who attended all the ordinance discussions - agrees it`s a good step.
"It`s a shame they couldn`t haven`t sit down with the major dog club and just talked that`s what we needed."
She still hopes amendments can be made."
For more information about the new law you can call animal control at 435-6015 or log onto their website www.Evansvillegov.Org.

----------------------------------

borzoimom
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
When I had my shepherds, I had a kennel license also- eventhough they lived in the house. It was sheer numbers. A state dog, like a police dog, or one used for breeding didnt have to have one, but the others did- and it was over 20 dogs. The dogs have to be over 4 months old- so it excludes puppies. However- I never let my pups go into foster care for k-9 until 5 months. I just paid it.
However- if I had to do it now, I would use their chip numbers as ID... lol.. make them type 30 numbers of chip numbers into their computers.. ( trying not to laugh- but you get the point...)

applesmom
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
As a former breeder of show and competition dogs I would have welcomed a law such as this in order to assist in the solution to the pet overpopulation problem.

$330 a year in license fees for 11 dogs is hardly unreasonable. It's mere pocket change in comparison to the actual expenses of showing dogs. It's also tax deductable once they have a kennel license!

If the law is enforced properly, the money collected from these additional fees from all owners of intact dogs plus the reduction in the number of unwanted puppies will tremendously benefit the abused and abandoned pets.

This should be the pimary goal of everyone who loves dogs, including all show and performance breeders.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2006, 02:53 PM
I actually think the ordinance is a good idea, and pretty standard. In every city I've lived in, you have to pay more to license unaltered pets- it only makes sense.

ETA: Even if the responsible breeders are "the only ones" who will pay the license, it still puts money towards the city's animal shelter or spay/neuter program.

Ginger's Mom
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I live in the populated Northeast, so that may be the difference. But I strongly believe in licensing dogs. It is necessary to be aware of the dogs in the area, their shot records (well rabies are the only thing required by law) and making people aware of spaying and neutering advantages. I cannot think of any reason not to support it. The cost is minimal compared to other aspects of caring for your dog.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't see the problem, to be completely honest. Only $330 for 11 dogs? If I had 11 dogs, I'd be paying more than $400 in license fees - and that's if they were all altered. No matter where you live, the license fees will be higher if you have an unaltered dog - and rightfully so I think.

borzoimom
12-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I just looked it up. I pay for Hottie and Femka ( altered) 25 dollars each, and Galina and Zubin 35 dollars each... Major will be 25 more... thats 145 for just 5! ( but no kennel license require for under 10)...And When Galina has pups next year, no license as long as they are under 4 months old, so that will make six as I am planning on keeping one .. ( I hope.. lol.. Yes - just one Michelle- just one... lol.. )

applesmom
12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
If I were running the show, (which I'm not)! ;)

Some of the changes I'd like to see all across the country would be; higher license fees for unaltered pets, reduced license fees for altered pets and even more reduced fees for those who have taken Responsible Pet Ownership Classes. Kennel license fees required for all breeders, or anyone that sells pets, sales tax required on all puppy sales, lifetime responsibility for all breeders for every puppy they produce, and increasingly higher fines for each incident of a dog running loose.

In my county the license fees are $12 for a speutered dog and $40 for an intact dog. Seniors over 65 can license up to two speutered dogs for $6 each.

cali
12-08-2006, 09:08 PM
we have had one of these for years, personally I dont licence my dogs, I am not about to pay the government to have all my dogs info at their fingertips which can be used against me the moment any sort of dog breed, number or size limit is implemented. It is not enforable unless your dog ends up at the shelter anyway.

lute
12-08-2006, 09:20 PM
i see what ya'll are sayin. unfortinatly we don't have a dog ordinance here. it is a problem, but i don't think it would do any good. i honestly don't think the dog ordinance that my friend ia dealing with is pretty much a waist too. animal control/police around here don't enforce things like this. i'd personally be more open to it and be more than happy to pay if it was worth my time and money. i agree that it does help shelters with their expenses, but i donate A LOT to animal control in the next town and been take dogs from them from time to time. i'd love to help the shelter here, but they don't accept donations and what not. they flat out told me they did not want my help with anything. not even fostering. :(

applesmom
12-08-2006, 09:37 PM
we have had one of these for years, personally I dont licence my dogs, I am not about to pay the government to have all my dogs info at their fingertips which can be used against me the moment any sort of dog breed, number or size limit is implemented. It is not enforable unless your dog ends up at the shelter anyway.

That's one way of looking at it. :D

On the other end of the spectrum, I always considered licensing as an inexpensive way to increase the odds of getting my dogs back if something unforseeable should happen and one of them got lost. In that case the reclaiming fee would only be $50 as opposed to the hundreds of dollars in fines if they hadn't been licensed. Another advantage is, if a dog is licensed and should happen to bite or scratch someone they can be quarantined at home instead of in the pound.

cali
12-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Rabies is the ONLY thing taken into consideration for quarentine here, if you have proof of a Rabies shot within that last 3 years then quarentine is at home.

now for ending up at the shelter from running off or something, if your dog is fixed they get out free regaurdless, the vets here give out a couple "get out of jail free" cards to every fixed dog or cat. if your pet is intact and not licenced the the fee is $200 + the cost of a licence. if you dont want to pay $200 or licence and have your dogs intact then I suggest you keep a close eye on your dog lol

wolfsoul
12-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I personally don't license my dogs. Animal control here checks up on homes with dogs deemed "dangerous.". I was fined $200 and Visa was given a dangerous dog last year when a little boy rode his bike through the dog play area of my campsite while six dogs were playing and Visa scratched him. Animal control loves nothing more than to check up on homes with dangerous dogs -- when an animal control officer came to my house last year, he opened the gate to my yard and just walked in while Visa was out there. He claimed she tried to attack him, that she was charging him. I supervise my dogs at all times, and I saw everything through the window -- she was 10 feet away from him, barking, and running up and down my porch stairs where my door was to warn me. After the incednet last year, animal control visited my mother's house and asked questions about me, about my dogs -- they took my mom's lisence plate number! They asked for her job information!

So I refuse to support these people. Don't get me wrong, I have one friend and one family member that work for animal control -- but I still hate what goes on behind closed doors and I hate what they did to me last year. The amount of stress they put me through because of a little scratch. Jynnelle had to give away her malamute when she was a kid because animal control said it killed a cat and they were goign to come and take it. They came over every week with excuses to fien them or take their dogs. When they stopped licensing, animal control went away.

Back to the original subject -- Paying that amount of money all at once seems pretty lame -- if it was monthly or something it wouldn't be so bad. Certainly not as bad as it is here. Here you pay $50 per dog AND pay the $200 a year kennel license, AND live on an acerage. If you don't live on an acerage they will take away your dogs until you are down to two dogs and put them to sleep (the SPCA refuses to take the animal control dogs now so they are PTS). I don't live on an acerage and I doubt I ever will. Basically if I license my dogs I'm forced to give them away quickly or have them PTS.

areias
12-09-2006, 02:58 AM
I think it would be better that if you have a kennel license, you get reduced tags.

Here the altered tag is $10 and the unaltered $30, plus seniors get discounts. Here you can get cited if your dog is not tagged, even if it has it's rabies vaccine. Stupid. I really have to get Sam in soon, because if you've ever gotten a tag on your dog in my county and it's well overdue, they will stop by and check if you have the dog and then give you a citation. :rolleyes: We don't need AC over here with the amount of dogs we have (4 dogs or cats is the limit for some odd reason...technically we have 7 dogs and 2 cats in the household).