PDA

View Full Version : Highly upset!! - Fred Phelps to Visit

lady_zana
12-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Fred Phelps is coming to a neighboring town to protest at someone's funeral! Just the very idea of that makes me so angry! Support the military or not, everyone has the right to die in peace and everyone has the right to grieve for their loved ones in peace.

Berea's (where he will be) GSA, along with Richmond's, (where I am a member) are going, not to counterprotest but to form a human line so he cannot reach the mourners.

I am going to post a link to see Phelps' flyer if you would like. The rest of the information comes from the Facebook Event.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/dec2006/20061205_theodore-west-funeral.pdf

After some discussion with PFLAG and other members of the Berea community, we've found out some more details about the planned response to Fred Phelps and his group. Rather than a counter-protest, a group called the Patriot Guard (which was formed specifically to deal with Phelps' picketing of military funerals), has been invited to organize on Saturday to form a line of people between Phelps' group and the funeral party. This group will form a human wall to keep the picketers out of view of the family, and their presence will help fight Phelps and his crew while still maintaining respect and support for PFC West's family --which is really the most important issue right now.

If anyone would like to participate in the human line, the Guard will be meeting in the parking lot of First Christian Church at 12pm on Friday (for prep) and 11am on Saturday and then move to Berea Baptist Church. They welcome people to join them. (Directions to the First Christian Church will be emailed soon.)

also, this message from Berea's PFLAG rep, Ed:
As many of you have already heard, Fred Phelps and company have indicated that they will picket the funeral service for Coty West at Berea Baptist Church. Since a number of questions have arisen about a reponse to Phelps, I want to share what I know at this point and to comment.

1) Because of family relationships in my church, I visited at the West house and want you to know that the grief is very great. This observation pretty much frames the rest of what I have to write.

2) The Patriot Guard, which travels by invitation only, has been invited to Berea, to be present during visitation on Friday and at the funeral on Saturday. The Patriot Guard, as I understand, is a group of veterans who organized a couple of years ago specifically to establish a wall of people and flags between Fred Phelps and grieving families. It is not a protest group, it is a wall of people.

3) The Patriot Guard welcomes others to stand with them.

4) The Phelps organization has no concern for a grieving family. I think that concern for the family should be our first priority. A direct Phelps counter-protest would, I am afraid, give the same message that Phelps gives
- no concern for the family. I would suggest that those who want to take action should participate with the Patriot Guard.

5) The Guard will gather in the parking lot of First Christian Church at noon on Friday and move on to the Berea Baptist Church. The Guard will gather in the parking lot of First Christian Church at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday and then move to the Berea Baptist Church.

Ed

lady_zana
12-08-2006, 10:05 AM
My friend found this article and sent it to me....

Published: December 07, 2006 08:16 am

Group plans to picket soldier’s funeral

Bill Robinson
Register News Writer

The Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., announced on its Web site Tuesday that it plans to picket the funeral of Pvt. Theodore “Coty” West in Berea on Saturday.

The group has frequently picketed the funeral services of U.S. service personnel to protest what they regard as the military and the public’s acceptance of homosexuality. The group’s leader, Fred Phelps, says U.S. soldiers are dying as the result of God’s Judgment on America.

West, 23, who was serving with the U.S. Army’s First Cavalry Division in Iraq was killed by a roadside bomb on Nov. 29.

His funeral is planned for 1 p.m. Saturday at Berea Baptist Church, 310 Chestnut, in Berea.

Berea Police Chief Dwayne Brumley said city officials had not heard from the Topeka church, but “as long as pickets stay on the sidewalk and do not block traffic or take any other disruptive action” the city cannot remove them from near the church.

The Berea Police Department began preparing for the protest after learning about Westboro Baptist Church’s plans from its Web site, Brumley said.

The chief said he was not be surprised if local veterans’ group staged a counter protest Saturday.

“At other locations in Kentucky and elsewhere around the county, veterans have sought to shield families so they would not see funeral protesters,” he said.

“Our job is to enforce the law and protect the rights of individuals,” Brumley said, “and that’s what we will do.”

Leaders of local veterans’ organizations said Wednesday they had not heard about the funeral protest but would begin discussing possible action.

The 2006 Kentucky General Assembly passed legislation that would keep pickets at least 300 feet from any funeral or other memorial service, but its enforcement was blocked Sept. 26 on First Amendment grounds by U.S. District Judge Karen Caldwell.

Bart McQueary of Harrodsburg, who has participated in funeral protests sponsored by Westboro Baptist Church, filed the suit with support from Westboro Baptist Church and the American Civil Liberties Union, said state Sen. Ed Worley, D-Richmond, who listed the funeral protest legislation as one of the major successes of the 2006 General Assembly as he ran for re-election.

The legislation, House Bill 333 and Senate Bill 93, was passed without opposition in either body, said Susan Straub of the Legislative Research Commission.

“These people (funeral protesters) are the maggots of society,” Worley said. “Anyone who would stage a protest during a funeral has to be among the lowest forms of life.”

“I’m sorry the federal courts have blocked enforcement of what I believe is a law that every good person in Kentucky supports,” Worley said.

Attorney General Greg Stumbo is appealing Judge Caldwell’s ruling, he said, and “I hope we can win on appeal.”

Bill Robinson can be reached at [email protected] or at 623-1669, Ext. 267.

lvpets2002
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
:mad: Its all disgusting to me.. I would say all of these protesters need to get a real job to take up their time.. I agree any & everyone needs & deserves to rest in peace.. :( So sad we cant even do that anymore with all these Idiots out there..

Lady's Human
12-08-2006, 10:32 AM
And as long as the press continues to give credence to whackjobs like phelps (and airtime, and ink.....) they will continue to do what they do.

lvpets2002
12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
:) Well said && I agree.. Freedom of Speech = Isn't Nice!! Yes it is Butttt: Lets reserve some for silence ok.. :o
And as long as the press continues to give credence to whackjobs like phelps (and airtime, and ink.....) they will continue to do what they do.

Cataholic
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
A few, stategically placed, snipers would certainly bring a halt to this group's "protest". Sometimes, I think we are TOO civilized a nation.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-08-2006, 01:12 PM
They are at all the military funerals here. One of the towns put HUGE American flags all around the cemetery so the family could not see the protesters.

You know, they say they are a Christian group. I beg to differ. No true Christian I know would behave in such a disgraceful way!!! Also, how dare they speak for God by saying : God hates fags!!! They certainly have never read the Bible if they believe that. When Jesus was asked what is the greatest commandment he said to Love God with all your heart and and the second is to love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12:30-31) That includes everyone because God loves everyone, whether they belive in him or not.

If God doesn't like a person's life style, He is quite able to change it himself without their help!!!

I can't help but wonder, if one of their loved ones was killed in the military, would they protest their own loved ones funeral?

Karen
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
If they ever came here to protest, I'd enjoy being in a group blocking them, and perhaps singing hymns of love and understand at them.

Sevaede
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I agree with above posts.

This is not the first time I've heard of a funeral protest but probably the first time I have heard of that man, group, etc. That is just horrible. Why would they do that? On top of the fact that it is just horrible, what are they trying to prove anyways? :S

lady_zana
12-08-2006, 01:50 PM
If they ever came here to protest, I'd enjoy being in a group blocking them, and perhaps singing hymns of love and understand at them.

Yep, that's what we hope to do tomorrow. They (the Richmond and Berea PRIDE alliances) considered a counterprotest but now we have decided to simply create a human block-line so that the Phelps' and their followers cannot get to the mourners.

No one's funeral, no matter what, needs to be turned into a circus or a riot. Let the families mourn their loved ones in peace.

moosmom
12-08-2006, 06:50 PM
And as long as the press continues to give credence to whackjobs like phelps (and airtime, and ink.....) they will continue to do what they do

Well said, Lady's Human!!

TamanduaGirl
12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I saw pics of them holding signs and some signs were like "God is your enemy" And "God hates you" Definatly not christian. Kinda like they are trying to give christians a bad name. and saw part of an interview with one and seemed like they thought it was all a joke though they claimed other wise. They lost their marbles and tripped on them too.

Edwina's Secretary
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM

Ah yes...all the fault of the press....

If your point is correct...the very existence of this thread is support for these whackjobs.

I blame the horrid people who would even think of protesting at a funeral.

Lady's Human
12-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Sara,

I'm not blaming the press for the actions of the protesters. I'm just saying that if they had one of their protests and no one publicized it, they wouldn't gain the attention they are so desperately seeking.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I just think to say the press gives credence is to suggest the press acknowledges what the protesters are saying is true. (I looked it up in the dictionary... :) ) I haven't seen the press suggest ANYWHERE that the deaths of our soldiers in Iraq is devine retribution.

The protesters are nuts...and should be told that they are nuts. The protesters are horrid human beings and should be told that.

What a shame it would be if these horrid people were doing this horrid thing and good people did not know about it (from the press) so that they could help and support the families being hurt by these horrid people.

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Another definition for credence is acceptance. Most words have more than one meaning, after all, it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

It's really a viscious circle......

They protest for shock.

A local paper/TV station runs the story.

They get press out of it (No such thing as bad publicity)

They protest again, and get more attention. This time instead of the local TV station, it's CNN.

They get still more attention.

Ignore the bastards and let them fade back into the morass.

Yes, the stories have lead to counter protests, but they have also lead to the idiots getting attention which they would not have gotten had people simply looked at them, said "Damn, what a bunch of idiots" and looked away.

There's no hell like anonymity for idiots like this. They crave attention, and we stupidly give it to them.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Another definition for credence is acceptance. Most words have more than one meaning, after all, it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

They protest for shock.

They protest again, and get more attention. This time instead of the local TV station, it's CNN.

Yes, the stories have lead to counter protests, but they have also lead to the idiots getting attention which they would not have gotten had people simply looked at them, said "Damn, what a bunch of idiots" and looked away.

There's no hell like anonymity for idiots like this. They crave attention, and we stupidly give it to them.

Hurrah! Another vote heard for censorship of the press.....

(and you are wrong on the word credence....nice try but it is rooted in the word "creed" or truth...)

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
1) Where did I say anything about censorship? I'm implying action by private citizens, not government entities.

2) http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/credence

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Right here....

and right here....

"Ignore the bastards and let them fade back into the morass."

These whackjobs do what they do because they are whackjobs....they do it because their God tells them to.

They don't do it because the press makes them.

As an American who believes in the importance of a free press to a free society I don't think the press should be blamed for the actions of those about whom they report.

You suggest silencing the press. I disagree. It is important for us to know what kind of evil exists in our society. How else do we combat it?

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 10:45 AM
So let's do your sentence again...

And as long as the press continues to give mental acceptance as true or real to whackjobs

yup...like I said...when has the press said that the deaths in Iraq were devine retribution?

or is it...And as long as the press continues to give Renaissance sideboard used chiefly for valuable plate to whackjobs? ;)

All I am saying is keep the focus on the bad guys....the whackjobs as you call them (is that an okay word to use on here??) and not those who give us warning of the bad guys.

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Sara,

Nowhere did I say anything about silencing the press.

Nowhere.

It didn't happen.

I don't hold your opinion that the press is a wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow institution, but nowhere did I say anything about censorship.

Stop reading into words, and take them at face value.

It IS possible for the press to merely ignore things. It has happened in the past.

There's no rule stating that they have to report anything and everything.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 11:39 AM
<<shakes head>>

Your really don't see where you said it?

<<shakes head>>

lizbud
12-09-2006, 12:04 PM
<<shakes head>>

Your really don't see where you said it?

<<shakes head>>

" There are none so blind as those who will not see "

LH, you did not use the word" censorship", but faulted the press for covering
the antics of this hate group. Same thing.

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Different entirely.

Censorship is the GOVERNMENT taking action to block the press.

Nowhere did I say one word about government involvement.

:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 01:57 PM
And speaking of reading into words.... where did I EVER say I hold the following opinion????

I don't hold your opinion that the press is a wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow institution, but nowhere did I say anything about censorship.

Stop reading into words, and take them at face value.

So if you want to take your own advice....take my words at face value and stop reading into them.

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Any time anyone has been critical of the press in any of the numerous threads discussing news coverage and news items, you have been defensive to the point of being combative. Judging from those numerous posts, one can only come to the conclusion that the press can do no wrong in your eyes.

Again, I never mentioned anyone stepping in as a censor, I just wish the media would consider the responsibility that is inherent with the rights they are constitutionally granted.

Back to the original point of this thread, it brings to mind a scene from "The Blues Brothers"

"Illinois Nazis? I HATE Illinois Nazis" (As Elwood floors the bluesmobile and runs the demonstrators off the bridge into the water)

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Guilty as charged. I am passionate about freedom of the press. Flawed though it may be...and it is surely flawed...it sure beats the alternative. And you may know...combativeness is sometimes necessary when freedom is being encroached.

But, in the future, I would apprecicate if you would take my words at face value and not make assumptions. You know what comes from making assumptions???...even if they are wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow !

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Combativeness has it's place.

Casual discussion, as occurs here, where politics and the ilk are a sidebar to the point of the board, isn't the place for it.

lizbud
12-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Combativeness has it's place.

Casual discussion, as occurs here, where politics and the ilk are a sidebar to the point of the board, isn't the place for it.

Then why do you continue to argue your point (whatever that is).
Are you one of those people who always has to have the last word? :rolleyes:

Anywho, our Indiana legislature also passed a law forbiding the protest
to interfere with military funerals.As far as I know, the law has not been
challenged & the protest group has stopped showing up in Indiana.

lady_zana
12-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I just wanted to update everyone - Our side = 400+............Phelps and Clan = zero

They didn't show! We don't know why he didn't appear as it was posted on his webpage that he *was* coming but he didn't.

I'm thankful that they didn't show. No one should have to listen to that sort of garbage when mourning their family.

Lady's Human
12-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Lady Z,

This is one of the times I wish the Hatch act wasn't so restrictive. I doubt Phelps would show up at ANY military funerals if there was an honor guard of a battalion or so of uniformed servicemembers between them and the funeral.

Being that it would be construed as a political statement, however, it wouldn't be allowed.

lady_zana
12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Lady Z,

This is one of the times I wish the Hatch act wasn't so restrictive. I doubt Phelps would show up at ANY military funerals if there was an honor guard of a battalion or so of uniformed servicemembers between them and the funeral.

Being that it would be construed as a political statement, however, it wouldn't be allowed.

Wouldn't that be nice? The police told us that as long as the protesters stayed across the street from the church there was nothing they could do about it. It's sad that a battalion would be needed but it would be wonderful not to have to worry about someone disrupting a loved one's funeral.

Edwina's Secretary
12-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I am so glad so many people became aware of this and came out to support the grieved family.

Rest in Peace...

mugsy
12-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm glad they didn't show up, but, I agree with LH...if the press would use better judgement about what they choose to blow out of proportion and give the desired attention to morons such as Phelps, then they would fade away into the background.

Sara, please note, that I am NOT advocating censorship, just good taste and tactfulness. I am just advocating that the press be more prudent in coverage. If they choose to cover it, then it's on them...I'm not taking their right away to cover it, however, please don't take away my right to believe that the press can be entirely too pushy and obnoxious in many cases.

The press here in Ft Wayne finally got a clue a few years ago and stopped covering the KKK's protest on the courthouse steps and voile! they stopped protesting the next year! It took awhile for it to sink into their brains, but, it finally did and the Klan doesn't show up anymore.

Edwina's Secretary
12-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Sara, please note, that I am NOT advocating censorship, just good taste and tactfulness. I am just advocating that the press be more prudent in coverage. If they choose to cover it, then it's on them...I'm not taking their right away to cover it, however, please don't take away my right to believe that the press can be entirely too pushy and obnoxious in many cases.

I absolutely agree that the press can be too pushy and obnoxious in many cases. I hate the way they lurk around bereaved families for example...asking how they feel... :confused: :confused:

So I understand Molly, but my concern remains who gets to decide what is good taste and tactful? You certainly wouldn't want me deciding it!

If something is happening, I think they should report on it. If I find the topic offensive...I won't read it.

And I certainly would not want something as obnoxious as this Phelps man NOT to be reported on. How else would people know to (hopefully) shame him into stopping?

DogLady
12-11-2006, 01:23 AM

They protest for shock.

I'm new here but this caught my eye.

Unfortunately, the situation with Fred Phelps is not that simple to resolve. He had the police and city government of Topeka cowed for years with a barrage of lawsuits (he's a disbarred lawyer and nine of his kids are currently lawyers). When the local government grew a spine and started fighting back, he looked for another way to get attention and discovered that picketing would do the trick.

The press covered the Westboro Baptist Church pickets at various businesses and churches in Kansas for awhile but then lost interest and stopped covering them as a story.

By your theory, that should have caused Phelps & family (the Westboro Baptist Church is 80+% Phelps family members by blood and marriage) to fade away.

What really happened is that Fred Phelps then upped the ante. He started picketing funerals of people he thought (correctly or not) had died of AIDS in Kansas. When the press stopped covering that, he started showing up at funerals in other states. The press covered it a little, not much, and then ignored him.

So he upped the ante again--he showed up at the funeral of the victim of a vicious hate crame, Matthew Shepard. That got publicity and the press covered him for awhile, then they started ignoring him again.

So Fred got another idea--he started picketing the funerals of victims of other disasters like the World Trade Center bombings. After the Iraq war started, he picketed the funerals of soldiers.

The man is a whore for attention and he's a genius at figuring out ways to up the ante so he can't be ignored. Simply ignoring him just doesn't work. Fighting back does work but it's a tricky thing to do without unconstitutionally restricting the rights of others as well.

Cataholic
12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Doglady- welcome to PT.

I agree with your thoughts. The man is a hate monger.

RICHARD
12-11-2006, 01:24 PM

Bill "big tuna" Parcells, The head coach of the Dallas Cowboys commented about the press giving Terrel "I'm a selfish AH" Owens press about his antics.

"He suckers you media in, Conisder yourselves sucked"