PDA

View Full Version : Bassett Hounds

elizabethann
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Does anybody know anything about Bassett Hounds?

If you know anything about them (even the smallest detail), please let me know.

Thank you very much.

(this is for my sister. i think she may adopt one. not sure.)

borzoimom
12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Bassett Hounds are great- but there are some considerations to keep in mind. The first one is the structure. They need good nutrition as a puppy so that the joints and bones grow evenly. This is a breed, just like a large breed pup would need, a good balenced diet.
Secondly- their temperments are great, but they are a little stubborn.. ( arent most breeds though in someway or another..) They have a tendancy to learn what "behooves" them.
Finally- there is nothing cuter than a puppy Bassetts face!!! Good luck picking one!!! They are also one of the " pototoe chip " breeds because of this..

labmomma
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
My brother had a Bassett Hound and she was one of the best dogs I've ever encountered. Tracy was very much a people dog that got along just great with every little critter she ever encountered. They are great pets and you'll have years and years of unconditional love. Do consider getting two because they are such a pleasure together and will provide you with hours of laughter :) .
Labmomma X 2

elizabethann
12-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your replies. I don't understand the "potato chip" thing though. Does that mean they like to eat chips? ;) Can you explain a little bit about that please?

Thank you.

borzoimom
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your replies. I don't understand the "potato chip" thing though. Does that mean they like to eat chips? ;) Can you explain a little bit about that please?

Thank you.
Oh I am sorry- it means " you cant have just one.." This breed is one of those- you cant have just one.. They are addicitive..

elizabethann
12-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Oh I am sorry- it means " you cant have just one.." This breed is one of those- you cant have just one.. They are addicitive..

LOL. Oh I get it now. That's funny. Thank you. :)

areias
12-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Don't forget the last word in their breed-Hound. They can have a mouth on them like no other...when they get to baying, it's VERY loud and can be obnoxious to people not used to it. Some barely make a peep while others can go on and on for hours.

Good nutrition is a must like others have said-they can have joint problems-also eye and ear problems. The ears must be wiped down daily and clean weekly.

I find them a little hard to train, and a lot of bassetts are given up for that reason. I have known at least 3 aggressive bassetts, one from a neurological problem. Not saying all of them are aggressive, there are a ton of them that are really lovable and sweet, but it's not the breed for everyone. Early training, puppy classes, etc. make a huge difference.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't know too much about the breed, but I've met a few and they've been some of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. When I worked at a boarding Facility we used to get in a bassett named Molly, I was (and still am) totally smitten with her. I've been planing on learning about the breed for awhile, it's a breed that both Justin and I think we'd like to have one day.

I talked to my old boss last night and she told me that Fred, an old bassett we boarded was now 18 years old and he was still boarding with her. I was surprised to hear that he was still around at 18! I don't know what kind of life expectancy they have, but I thought 18 was impressive.

borzoimom
12-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Bassets do not bay like a beagle does. And sighthounds barely bark at all if any.. If they feel reason to bark, their bark is a bay though.
I never met a ill tempered Bassett.. Not ever.. Stubborn- yea- slow on their feet yea but not considering how short they are- but always loves.. And typical scent hound as they never " met a stranger"...

luvofallhorses
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basset_Hound I had a basset hound/beagle mix when I was younger. they are great dogs but very stubborn and follow their nose like any hound does. I wish your sister the best of luck! :) and bless her heart for choosing to adopt! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I love basset hounds! They are such sweet-tempered dogs. Marta's best friend in puppy kindergarten was a sweet little basset named Rowan. She was darling!

I don't know a whole lot about the breed, but I do know they are somewhat low-energy. They like to relax a lot. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy activity, of course, but they are nice and laid back. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Don't forget the last word in their breed-Hound. They can have a mouth on them like no other...when they get to baying, it's VERY loud and can be obnoxious to people not used to it. Some barely make a peep while others can go on and on for hours.
I mentioned a bassett, Molly, I knew in my above post and one thing I remember very well about her was her hound howl. She didn't howl too often, but when she did- OH MY! When she'd howl we usually took her for a walk outside and then she'd come back in and take a nap.

theterrierman
12-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Bassets are stubborn, definitely. Very independent dogs. If they're anything like a beagle coat-wise, they shed ALOT for such a small, short haired dog, and have a tendency to smell moreso than an average dog. Speaking of smell, when these guys pick up a scent, theres no getting them back. So if you dont mind shedding, a little "houndy" odor, and keeping them leashed, they're a pretty good pet. Usually good with considerate kids.

molucass
12-09-2006, 01:21 PM
There is one thing to remember. They aren't "small" dogs. They are large dogs on short legs.
They can be any where from 45-65 lbs.

Info (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bassethound.htm)

more info (http://www.basset.net/core.html)

Sevaede
12-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Bassets do not bay like a beagle does. And sighthounds barely bark at all if any.. If they feel reason to bark, their bark is a bay though.
I never met a ill tempered Bassett.. Not ever.. Stubborn- yea- slow on their feet yea but not considering how short they are- but always loves.. And typical scent hound as they never " met a stranger"...

Yes, Bassetts *do* bay. Trust me, I know. My parents have a bassett and I have been around more than one.

I agree, they are very sweet and loving. Not as slow as their easygoing looks let on, though! He is allllllllllllllllllllllways wanting love. He sits on my dads feet (so he wont put on his shoes. Willy knows he's going to work then), etc. Such a good boy!

Molucass is right. They do get large. Willy is 62.5 lbs (don't tell him, though, he thinks he is a little weenie dog ;) ).

Bassetts don't have any more of an odour than any other dog I've observed. :confused:

prechrswife
12-09-2006, 02:37 PM
We have 2 bassets, and they are probably the sweetest-natured dogs I've ever had. Big thing to remember--I saw someone refer to them as small dogs--bassets are not small dogs; they are large dogs with short legs. One of our boys weighs in at around 65 lbs. Some things vary from dog-to-dog. Max sheds more, drools more, and has more doggy odor than Oscar or than our RB Basset, Gus. They are great with kids. The "potato chip" thing is very true. :) Our boys really only bark if they have something to bark at--squirrels, stray dogs, frogs... They do have that very deep hound bark. Also, if you let them outdoors, the yard must be fenced because bassets will follow their noses forever tracking one thing or another. All-in-all, they are great dogs.

Here is a link to a basset forum. I'm a member there, but haven't posted in quite awhile, just because of time:

http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/boards/