PDA

View Full Version : Dad not well

fritz03
12-07-2006, 05:08 PM
My dad had his tests results yesterday and it wasn't what we expected.Dad has lou gehrig's disease.he has been suffering from different symptoms for a year now like choking,slurred speech and walking.There is no cure ,just treatment.Exercising and good nutrition helps.At some point,he has to go to Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto and talk with other people who have it.it really hit him hard this morning,got all upset and crying and he cried even when talking to my sister by phone.She came down to kep dad company while mom and i went to see about the computer,have been to the store 3 times today,it is now fine and running well.Lifespan for the disease is 3 to 5 years, hope there may be a cure in that time.I hope there is ,I really love dad and don't want leaving so soon.he is selling the tractor and trailer,i will do a few around our neighborhood with the lawn mower.i rene is having chemotherapy and radiation treatments to shrink the mass so it can be operated on more easily

borzoimom
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh honey I am sorry to hear this news. I will put him and you in prayers. ..

caseysmom
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Barry I am so sorry. When you weren't around for a few days I feared the worst for your Dad. I know nothing about that disease, I hope its not too hard for him.

Jadapit
12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear this Barry! You can tell what a close and loving family you are by your pictures and stories. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

lizbud
12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I am so sorry. Prayers going out for for Dad & your Aunt Irene.

K9soul
12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Barry, I'm sorry to see this :(. Please know your dad, Aunt Irene and family are all my thoughts and prayers. I hope Fritz can help comfort in this difficult time.

Ginger's Mom
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Oh Barry, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will definitely pray for your Dad and your family. Hugs to all of you.

Pam
12-07-2006, 05:56 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear this Barry! You can tell what a close and loving family you are by your pictures and stories. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

Jadapit said exactly what I was going to say. I am so sorry about your dad and your aunt too. :( :(

elizabethann
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I will keep your Dad & your Aunt in my thoughts and wish them well. Perhaps someone on the PT board knows someone who has this disease & they can tell you about it and their experiences.

You may want to see if there is a support group for the families of Lou Gerhig patients. It might help you and/or your Mom.

Please know you can always come here & get things off your shoulders if you have too...and you can PM anytime.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Please take care.

chocolatepuppy
12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Barry. I will keep your Dad and Aunt Irene in my thoughts and prayers. I feel like I know your family personally after all of the nice pictures you have posted of them. {hugs}

kimlovescats
12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I am so very sorry!!! Your poor Dad must be terrified!!! Thank God he has you and your Mom to be with him and help him cope! Prayers coming for your Dad, Aunt Irene and your whole family!

Hugs,
Kim

Dorothy39
12-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Your Posts have been such a Blessing on this Board, and I feel as though I know all of you now~

Please give you Dad, as well as your whole family, a great big, HARD, Pet Talk Hug~

I will keep you and yours in my Prayers !!

(Fritz, I've got a little piece of "meat" for you )

KYS
12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your father.
Sending many prayers for you and yours.

Daisy and Delilah
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Even though I have already heard this in PM yesterday, Barry, I'm still very upset about it. I'm in tears as I type. I feel as if we are all one big happy family here. News such as this is hard to take for us. We can only begin to imagine what you and your family are going through.

As I've already told you, please don't hesitate to let me know if I can do anything for you at any time. I will hope and pray every day that your Dad can be cured and live a long life. I know how much you all love each other. My heart goes out to you and the family.

I will keep Auntie Irene in my thoughts and prayers as well. You are all such wonderful people and I'm heartbroken to see you all go through this. :(
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

cyber-sibes
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
:( Your dad and Aunt will be in my prayers. He will surely need the support of all his family, and we'll be praying for him here on PT. I hope this doesn't sound weird - but when my mother had cancer, I realized that one of the hidden "blessings" of a terminal illness is that you know what time you have together is so very precious, and you can say everything that needs to be said. Sometimes we act like we have forever, and don't get around to saying how much we love and appreciate each other.

Logan
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Barry, I know you and your family are so worried right now, but you need to take each day as it comes and love your dad and care for him in a positive way. Boy is that a hard thing with such an illness. :(

I know that Karen will be able to shed some light on what to expect with the Lou Gehrig's disease since her mother had the same thing.

Hang in there, my friend. We are all thinking of you and praying for your father.

Logan

beeniesmom
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I am so sorry Barry. Hugs to you and your family.

My Peanuts
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh Barry, I'm so sorry.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. :( He'll be in my thoughts.

Alysser
12-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm so sorry, I hope your dad gets better. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.