PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - This Is In My Town!

elizabethann
12-07-2006, 07:55 AM
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I'll have to find out where these dogs live. I don't want any dog going after my Fenway.

Owner of akitas pleads not guilty

Candia – The owner of a pair of akitas that police say attacked two dogs, killing one, pleaded not guilty in Auburn District Court yesterday.

"Based on the severity of the situation, we though it was best to deal with it in court," Police Chief Michael McGillen said of the department's decision to bring charges against Robert Lucas of failure to secure a canine.

Judith Neville of 24 Merrill Road had just put her Shih Tzu Riley on his run Oct. 6 when she saw the two akitas on her property. Lucas lives at 104 Horizon Lane, not far from Neville's home.

"I turned around and was walking away when I heard a yelp," Neville said yesterday. "The two big dogs had him. I went over and got him away. He was injured very badly."

Judith Neville of Candia said she had just put her Shih Tzu Riley on his run when two akitas launched a fatal attack on the dog.
The tiny dog received severe chest injuries and was taken to the nearby Cand-Ray Kennels animal clinic before being rushed to a Manchester animal hospital.

The 6-year-old dog died on the operating table, Neville said.

Neville said she has no ill will against the Lucas family, adding that they paid the veterinarian bills of more than $1,000. But she said she worries what might happen if the akitas get loose again.

"The dogs had never been a problem before," she said. "People have even asked me if I want them put down ... but Riley was like a part of our family, and I don't want anyone to have to go through that loss. But, I mean, what if there's a toddler in someone's yard next time?"

Soon after the Oct. 6 attack, Karen Blackman of 84 Horizon Lane -- just down the street from Lucas -- reported to police that two akitas were at her property attacking her dog.

Blackman's dog survived the attack and required two stitches, McGillen said.

According to online sources, the akita breed is of Japanese origin; some specimens can weigh in at more than 100 pounds. A Wikipedia entry on the breed states that they are "a dominant dog (that) expects other dogs to be submissive."

McGillen said Lucas' akitas remain at their owners' residence. The dogs were checked out by animal control after the attack; both were found to have all the required immunizations, he said.

McGillen said the dogs had not come to police attention before the recent attacks, although Lucas had reported someone else's dog running loose.

If found guilty, Lucas could be made to pay restitution or other penalties. His trial date is pending.

kittycats_delight
12-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I am sooo sorry for the little dogs that were attacked. Akitas get more dominant and aggressive when there are more than one. Some akitas are known to be dog aggressive. Ours was. But he was normally as gentle as a lamb. I just hope and pray that this incident does not lead to another "Pitbull" type of hatred and fear from the general public. We all know how dangerous that can be. Hopefully this will not be another dog that will be added to the ban list.

BTW...I have yet to hear of an akita less than 100lbs. Our RB Shadow Evening Bear was 140lb.

areias
12-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I have an Akita Mix (yes, he's 110 lbs) and he is aggressive towards strange dogs and cats. I feel for this guy because his dogs have simply gotten out. If Sam (my dog) were to get out, the first cat he can catch is lunch. He will fight with a bigger dog, and he's not entirely interested in small dogs. But I mean accidents happen and it's unfortunate that two incidents happened within such a short time period. Hopefully the issue will be resolved, maybe by better fencing.

elizabethann
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I just looked up the address and it's about 5 miles from where I live. Sometimes I walk Fenway 3 miles in their direction so the chance that we'll meet up with them is pretty slim.

Personally, I think the guy needs a fenced-in yard or a run for his dogs. He needs to take more responsibility for them - not just for these kinds of incidents. There's a lot of hunting around here and his dogs could get shot. Plus his dogs could get hit by a car.

RIP Riley.

IRescue452
12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I can't believe they referenced wikipedia. The world knows this isn't a credible source for anything.

moosmom
12-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Hopefully this will not be another dog that will be added to the ban list.

That was exactly my thought. This guy certainly needs a fenced in yard.