PDA

View Full Version : alex the wonder dog is having a bad time

joycenalex
12-07-2006, 06:54 AM
over the last 2 days he's had at least 5 grand mal seizures, two happened during the day while we're at work, and three happened last night at 10:30pm and 4:45 am. he's got a load of drugs in him and i'm waiting for the vets' office to call me back about when he can be seen today.
i know he had the seizures during the day, cause it's ..ahhh...messy to come home to.(trying to see the bright side, my kitchen cabinets and floors are freshly washed, and the rugs are clean). i called in to work at 5am and told my boss i'd be in late, and i'm sorta grumpy sleepy now. please keep him in your thoughts today. thanks

anna_66
12-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this:(

I hope that the vet has some good news for you when you get in. I've never had any experience with seizures and I can't even imagine how hard it is to deal with.

Lots of good thoughts and load of (((HUGS))) headed your way.

Update us when you can.

Anna

pitc9
12-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Oh Joyce.... :(
Please know that you and Alex are in my thoughts and prayers!

{{hugs}}

borzoimom
12-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Honey I am sorry to hear this. I am afraid except for medication, I do not know much how to control them. Hopefully the vet can do something. I know you already know this, but make sure the dog is in a place they can not hurt themselves- like getting caught under a chair or chair leg or coffee table. Maybe keeping him in the kitchen is a good idea. ( without the chairs). I also would not leave any chew toys so the dog cant choke if one occured. Keep us posted.

gemini9961
12-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh no! Poor Alex....my prayers are with him.

joycenalex
12-07-2006, 07:39 AM
he's got an appointment at 12:30. peanut has a crate in the kitchen, and stays in it during the day. alex is in the closed door and babygated kitchen. the radio is on(classical, literate dogs :) ), the blinds are half open, so there is limited outside noise and lights. the table has a very sturdy pedastal base, the chairs are in the living room during the day, there is one half filled water bowl, so alex can get a drink if he needs to. the post seizure pacing alex does has got to be scary for peanut, cause alex can get into a corner and keep trying to walk into it. his directional ability is..scrambled after a seizure, so he doesn't know what's he's doing.
thanks for the concern & the support, i do appreciate it. i hate the seizure creature.

jackie
12-07-2006, 07:58 AM
OMG, I am so sorry to hear about all the trouble Alex is having.

Has he ever had seizures before?

4 Dog Mother
12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Oh, Joyce, I know exactly what you are feeling. It is so scary when they start seizing and when they do it in clusters.... Do you have valium to give him after the seizures? So far Snoopy hasn't seizured again after given the valium - well maybe one time but the vet recommended we increase the valium dose and give it to him for two days or so and he hasn't since then.

How old is Alex now? I know I should know but sometimes I can't remember my kids ages let alone any one elses. I will pray that the vet can find some way for him to stop having them so close together.

Cinder & Smoke
12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi God ~

We gotz anudder problemo down here onna Durt Ball - in O-HI-O, again ...

Alex, da Wonder Dawg, is havin siezures like poor Snoopy has ...
kan you hop onna SIlver Klowd an meet Alex atta White Coat's Place?
Birng da Big Book along ... show 'em the Pages you use fur Snoopy.

An pleeze give Alex's Mom a big {{{God'sHug}}} so she knows You're onna case.

We'll be *krossin* Pawz & Klawz, an sensin Prayers, for Alex!!

Thanks, God.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Daisy and Delilah
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I feel terrible for all of you. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers :( Feel better Alex!!
{{{{{HUGS FOR EVERYBODY}}}}}

Queen of Poop
12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh dear, how scary for you. Prayers and good thoughts for Alex and hopes that the vet can do something to alleviate this issue. Hugs for you all.

Karen
12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Poor Alex! He'll be in our prayers.

My Peanuts
12-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Alex will be in my prayers.

joycenalex
12-07-2006, 12:53 PM
i'm gonna be brief, gotta go back to work. i got a liquid valium refill, we're gonna bump the phenobarb, test his levels in a month and otherwise he's good. the vet said his coat looks great, BTW. so the long brush session last night was worth it. :)

elizabethann
12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I will keep your dog in my thoughts.

lizbud
12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. :( I will pray that with medication, this can
be controlled. It must be so hard on Alex and on you too.

pitc9
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Many MANY hugs to you and Alex!

I hope the meds do the trick!

joycenalex
12-07-2006, 08:35 PM
i had hopes that his cluster was finished, but he's had another one. so, more rectal valium, extra phenobarb, a light meal and some pacing around till the excess electrical brain waves (not a medical diagnosis, just my description of the post ictal pacing) are discharged. and oh yes, peanut gets some food too. i'm tired and going to bed now. he's really buzzed.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about his seizures. I hope that they are now over...good thoughts coming your way.

Logan
12-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know what in the world I would do in your situation, Joyce. I have experienced seizures only one time with one of my dogs, and it was Kaycee, a long, long time ago. She never had another one, but the seizures she experienced clued us in to many other medical problems that we weren't aware of.

I do hope you can get Alex' condition under control.

Logan

K9karen
12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Count me in on the Prayer Patrol. I hope the new doses of meds help poor Alex. Poor guy must be so confused. xoxo to all of you.

kallisto4529
12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I will keep Alex and you in my prayers, I truly hope the meds work, I know how hard it is to watch them have the siezures and the confusion they get after ward, it breaks your heart.
Keep postitive thoughts and prayers.

shais_mom
12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
aaww so sorry to hear this Joyce - will keep you both in my prayers.
I only dealt with my Shaianne having seizures for a short time before they took her and it was horrible.
{hugs}

joycenalex
12-08-2006, 06:37 AM
thanks for the support. we ALL had a quiet night. i feel so much better when i get more sleep. i bumped up his phenobarb this am, he's getting 137mgs in the am and 153 in the pm. (phenobarb pills come in odd sizes so the numbers are odd.) we'll do another blood level in mid january to check his med level, but also check his liver values and make sure there i'm not burning out his liver. i won't be moving him to the second and third generation anti seizure meds, a choice the vet agreed with. i do love my vets, that is why, in no small part , alex is still here after having had seizures for 9 1/2 years.

anna_66
12-08-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm very glad to hear that you all had a quite night, I hope it continues that way.

pitc9
12-08-2006, 08:36 AM
I too am glad you all had a quite night.

Hugs to you all!

cloverfdx
12-08-2006, 06:53 PM
I am glad to hear you had a quiet night aswell, and hope Alex continues to get better {{Hugs}}.

pitc9
12-09-2006, 07:54 AM
How were things last night??

borzoimom
12-09-2006, 08:22 AM
How are things today? And last night?

joycenalex
12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
no visits for more then 36+ hrs. when we get to 48, i'll be dancing, this minute he's scouting behind me for dropped cat food (as if!). thanks for all the support.

kallisto4529
12-10-2006, 01:52 AM
That is wonderful, I will continue to keep you both in my prayers and sending good thoughts your way.

Kfamr
12-12-2006, 03:58 AM
I am sorry I had not seen this before.

How is the wonder dog doing today?

joycenalex
12-12-2006, 05:59 AM
this morning he is totally fine. he's eaten breakfast, annoyed his cat sister, kira, and tried to steal peanuts' kong (she had his, BTW). i'm hoping he'll be fine for 3 weeks again. he has moved into a cycle of 2-4 days of spaced seizures every 3 weeks. but, for today, he's great. thanks for asking

borzoimom
12-12-2006, 06:39 AM
OH that is wonderful news!!!! The wonder dog is being true to his name! lol

Logan
12-12-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm so glad to see that Alex is improving, Joyce! Prayers continue for him.

Logan

pitc9
12-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Great News!!

4 Dog Mother
12-12-2006, 09:24 AM
I am glad Alex is doing better. How sad that you know it will be happening every 3 weeks! I will keep you and the wonder dog in my prayers!