PDA

View Full Version : James Kim Found

RedHedd
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't know if any of you have been following the story of the San Francisco family who got stuck in the snow in Oregon over the Thanksgiving holiday. They found David Kim's body today :( prayers and thoughts going out to their family.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! I was sure praying they would find him alive.
Prayers on the way for his courageous family for sure!!! :(

borzoimom
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
oh no... I hadn't heard that.. Prayers to the family..

TamanduaGirl
12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
very sad and things like that happen to often around here.

If you get stuck stay with your car or other vehicle. Like the snowmodilers they left the snowmobiles and of course the snowmobiles were found first. You can not walk very far in cold weather.

If in a car deflate the spare tire and light it on fire. It will burn a good long time and act as a flare for you. But do deflate it first or it will go boom.

If in a car you can also run the engen on and off for heat but not constant or you could gas yourself on fumes.

If you are lost away from any vehicle then find a big tree and dig a spot near the trunk the tree being a livign thing actualy gives out a little bit of heat and the now or durt you dog out and pile around you will act as insulation. If possible find dry bushy branches to line it with and cover yourself. In that case find a open space and do something unatural like make a big X lout of debree.

Oh and never eat snow for flud it will mess you up. Melt it first some how.

also do not trust online maps when traveling. That road they got lost on is not passable in winter and isn't maintained for snow but mapquest lists it as prefered route! It's only prefered in the summer months because it's shorter. A real local map will usualy have some indication of those sorts of things. And when in unfamiliar territory ASK even if not lost. Ask when you get gas about the local route you have marked out.

and of course standard stuff carry chains, blakets, some food and water, a change of warm clothes, and flares are a good idea too.

JenBKR
12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
oh no - I had been following the story somewhat and was really praying that they were going to find him alive. What a brave man he was to go out in search of help the way he did. Lots of prayers for the family. RIP Mr. Kim.

elizabethann
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM

If you get stuck stay with your car or other vehicle. Like the snowmodilers they left the snowmobiles and of course the snowmobiles were found first. You can not walk very far in cold weather.

If in a car deflate the spare tire and light it on fire. It will burn a good long time and act as a flare for you. But do deflate it first or it will go boom.

If in a car you can also run the engen on and off for heat but not constant or you could gas yourself on fumes.

If you are lost away from any vehicle then find a big tree and dig a spot near the trunk the tree being a livign thing actualy gives out a little bit of heat and the now or durt you dog out and pile around you will act as insulation. If possible find dry bushy branches to line it with and cover yourself. In that case find a open space and do something unatural like make a big X lout of debree.

also do not trust online maps when traveling. That road they got lost on is not passable in winter and isn't maintained for snow but mapquest lists it as prefered route! It's only prefered in the summer months because it's shorter. A real local map will usualy have some indication of those sorts of things. And when in unfamiliar territory ASK even if not lost. Ask when you get gas about the local route you have marked out.

and of course standard stuff carry chains, blakets, some food and water, a change of warm clothes, and flares are a good idea too.

Those are very good tips.

It is such a sad story.

Logan
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I had not checked the news today. :( How sad that he lost his life trying to save his family.

caseysmom
12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I have been following this story, this is so sad. I don't understand why those roads aren't marked better.

Queen of Poop
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I was hoping for a miracle. Very saddened by the news that he was not found alive.

Felicia's Mom
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I am sorry to hear the sad news.

CatLuvrs
12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
That is awful! I was hoping that there would be a happy ending for this family! They are in my prayers :(

trayi52
12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I have also been following this story. I am so very saddened to hear that he lost his life trying to save his family. If he had just stayed with the family, he would have been saved along with them.

Willie :(

Vela
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I have been following it as well, I am really truly saddened to hear this. I was so hoping that he would be found alive. He died doing his best to save his family, nobody could ask any more of a person than that.

lizbud
12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
That is so sad. :( I just heard this evening that they found the body.

RedHedd
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
CNET has a website where you can post messages to the family. :(

http://news.com.com/James+Kim+found+deceased/2100-1028_3-6141498.html?tag=cnetfd.ld1

Dorothy39
12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I don't know if any of you have been following the story of the San Francisco family who got stuck in the snow in Oregon over the Thanksgiving holiday. They found David Kim's body today :( prayers and thoughts going out to their family.

Oh Reddhead, I have read that story ~ Prayers for that Family :(

Sevaede
12-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Which road were they traveling on?

A couple of years ago, my then-boyfriend (now husband) were driving from Springfield to Pendleton. It started snowing as we were going through Hood River and within five minutes there was tons of snow on the roads. As you know, there is water surronding a lot of that area (plus the wind from the Gorge) so we had to stop. All the hotels were packed and it was crazy. I am glad we stopped or else we probably would have gotten stuck.

Alysser
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I hadn't heard about this earlier in the week but tonight I heard he was found his body. I feel so sorry for that poor family, I cannot imagine what they are going through. :(

Cookiebaker
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh man, that is really sad. I was hoping so much for a miracle and that it wouldn't end like this. :( His poor wife and family, I feel so bad for them! :(

ramanth
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I just heard the news on tv. :( So very sad and heartbreaking for his family.

RIP Mr. Kim. What a hero you were trying to help your family.