PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is real?

Argranade
12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Some person is giving there african grey away for free ... but it has to be shipped from Cameroon and I geuss all the way to Toronto .. if they say free they should pay for the shipping lol cause I'm not going to .. could be a scam --_-- ''

Here is what they said.

Hi
the parrot is still available and i am giving him for free because the missionary who owns him asked me to do so.He told me he hadn't enough time to give to the bird.And such birds need alot of care and attention.
Also it should be a good family or person to get the bird.The bird will have to be shipped and that will be from Cameroon.Below are his most recent pics.
Here are the photos of the bird, so what do you think?

jackmilliesmom
12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Sounds to me like you will have to pay the shipping and by doing that they will probably ask you for your bank details to organise for a direct payment from the bank and then its goodbye bank balance - heard of something like this around this time last year - would not be too quick to take it up see if you can find out more about it before even considering it.

areias
12-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Ask them to ship the bird and then you will Western Union them the amount owed when you get it.

luckies4me
12-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Actually this is quite common for exotics unfortunately. Since the pet is free they ask the new owners to pay for shipping, which to me seems reasonable. If you go to www.altpet.net you will find many ads like these. However, as mentioned, some of them are scams. :(

Husky_mom
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
all this in general, not just birds, makes me wonder is there some shipping method in where the receiver pays the shipping on arrival, so the free anything to be shipped can be shipped without giving any account number etc and paid among arrival to the "customer"........sort of like C.O.D.......

areias
12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I went to that page that you posted, Luckies. At the very top of the classifieds:

ALL POSTS FROM CAMEROON WILL BE REMOVED AS THEY ARE SCAMS! PLEASE AVOID BUYING ANIMALS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES! IMPORTATION OF MOST EXOTIC SPECIES IS NOT SO EASY THAT ANYONE CAN JUST HAVE AN ANIMAL SHIPPED TO THEM WITHOUT GOING THROUGH QUARANTINE OR EVEN GETTING PERMITS!!!

So, I would safely discount getting that bird. If you are willing to work with difficult birds, there may be some rescues around your area that adopt them out. Yes, their adoption fees are generally more but not $1500 like when you buy from a store.

Here are some:
http://www.wingsofhopeparrotrescue.ca/birds_home.htm
http://www.freedomflights.ca/
http://www.parrotadoptontario.com/index.php?tabid=5&pagetype=birdlisting&pageid=1

luckies4me
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Good thing I posted that link then LOL! I don't even know where Camaroon is. :o I thought it was a city. Well I helped without even knowing it, hehehe. :p

luckies4me
12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
all this in general, not just birds, makes me wonder is there some shipping method in where the receiver pays the shipping on arrival, so the free anything to be shipped can be shipped without giving any account number etc and paid among arrival to the "customer"........sort of like C.O.D.......

That can be done. :) I used to ship my ratties to other breeders that way, just for the sake of not having to deal with their accounts etc. It made things much easier!

kittycats_delight
12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
well Cameroon is in Africa so that is quite a distance scam or no scam. The poor bird wouold probably be dead by the time it reached you if this was no scam at all.

TamanduaGirl
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
not only is it a scam it is illegal to do! You have to go through an importer because of all the import laws and regulations on animals exotics especialy but even dogs and cats. you can't just let someone send you some animal just because you feel like it like sending a book.

TamanduaGirl
12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
oh also COD is illegal with animals. At least with mammals it is due to the AWA.

Argranade
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
The person said this ...

Hi
I know that is alot of money but i asked the agency and they said it shall cost 200USD.i really want this bird to go to a good home and i believe yours is the right one.I have decided to pay 50USD.You will therefore have to pay 150USD.I hope this all favors you.Hope to raed from you.
thanks

It seems real enough, I was thinking about what areias said.

''Ask them to ship the bird and then you will Western Union them the amount owed when you get it.''

So when the bird comes here I can then pay for it?

All and all it would only be $150 which I can spend, I was woundering if the bird got thirsty on the way here ... I'm scared of it dieing .. maybe if they stuck a water bottle like the one's for rabbits it would be ok and lots of seeds.

Uabassoon
12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
The person said this ...

It seems real enough, I was thinking about what areias said.

''Ask them to ship the bird and then you will Western Union them the amount owed when you get it.''

So when the bird comes here I can then pay for it?

All and all it would only be $150 which I can spend, I was woundering if the bird got thirsty on the way here ... I'm scared of it dieing .. maybe if they stuck a water bottle like the one's for rabbits it would be ok and lots of seeds.

Trust us, it's not real. Even if it wasn't a money scam, you can't just have a bird sent to you from another country, that is illegal. That bird will never make it past customs.

Argranade
12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Alright,

If it is real I hope that bird gets a good home, back to getting a conure for me ...

Zippy
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Alright,
If it is real I hope that bird gets a good home, back to getting a conure for me ...

I hope he does too.Your are getting a conure????What kind a green cheek,peach front,blue crown,sun,jenday,half moon??

Argranade
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I hope he does too.Your are getting a conure????What kind a green cheek,peach front,blue crown,sun,jenday,half moon??

Not sure yet lol, I want a sun conure prob but I'll go for anything thats young.

I'm tired of pigeons dieing and other birds because they have outlived there life span, I want a bird to be with me at least almost all my life .. I might just re-home all my pigeons because I'm scared of them getting killed in the sky by a hawk or dieing of old age which can be only 16 years average if your luck 20.

I have been having a hard time in my family right now and I don't have room for all these birds as I'm up to twenty somthing right now, I know I'll miss them but it's the best chioce for me right now .. I think I'll still keep a few pigeons tho because I love watching them fly.

Zippy
12-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Sun conures have a life span of 20-30 years.
Shiney can live a long time too 20 years.Cats live around 18-20+ years(i read you are getting a cat)Meadow and Cherokee can live a while too.

Husky15
12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Conures are beautiful. I believe we had one in our Pets Unlimited. It was a sweet thing. I would sit on the floor and talk to it and pet its little feet. Whenever I would walk away and then come back it would run to the front of the cage and jump on it and everything and be all excited.

Good luck with choosing your Conure, and good luck with choosing whether to give up your pigeons or not. I'd take one of them in a heartbeat but at the moment I don't think it would be possible.

critter crazy
12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Wait a minute!! You are going to give up on your pigeons because they dont have a long lifespan??? umm....didnt you know that going into raising pigeons??? seems like that isnt very fair to your pigeons!! :(

Husky15
12-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Wait a minute!! You are going to give up on your pigeons because they dont have a long lifespan??? umm....didnt you know that going into raising pigeons??? seems like that isnt very fair to your pigeons!! :(

This is what she also said;

I have been having a hard time in my family right now and I don't have room for all these birds as I'm up to twenty somthing right now, I know I'll miss them but it's the best chioce for me right now .. I think I'll still keep a few pigeons tho because I love watching them fly.

critter crazy
12-08-2006, 03:44 PM
This is what she also said;

Okay so why is she looking at another bird then?? and a cat??? I dont get it??

Zippy
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM

I thought that was werid too.

Husky15
12-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Don't know...

Argranade
12-08-2006, 04:56 PM

I knew that pigeons had a short life span when I got them but for some reason I never thought of getting a conure after Argranade (my fav pigeon) died.

People make mistakes, also I already have to sell some as I bought them for that purpose if you remember that site I made for the selling of birds .. including those budgies and quails.

I'm going to keep my favourite pigeons only but I'm still getting a conure & as for the kitten that's somthing my mom wanted too but now she changed her mind .. it would have been intresting to have a kitten around.

TamanduaGirl
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't think it's such a big deal to rehome pidgeons anyway. They aren't like some pets that are dependent on their owners and will have trouble adjusting.

Argranade
12-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think it's such a big deal to rehome pidgeons anyway. They aren't like some pets that are dependent on their owners and will have trouble adjusting.

Exacly, pigeons are traded and sold all the time, pigeons altho can become very attacthed to there owners but some are just so scared they won't care where thet go next. Yes I love my pigeons very much but I do breed them sometimes and just sell them.There poultry birds and not your regulare pet.

They can be awsome! pets tho like Windspirit will follow me outdoors or MoHawk loves to cuddle and play with my hands lol.

Zippy
12-08-2006, 06:03 PM

I disagree.I think it is.I think rehoming any animal is stressful and they may not be as dependent on there owners as some animals but it is still hard on them.I think it is just a BIG Deal as rehoming a dog or cat or exotic.

Giselle
12-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Agranade, I respect you and your privacy, but what is happening back home? If you don't want to say it publicly, you can PM me (or not). If you're not comfortable telling me, I understand. It just concerns me that you're thinking of rehoming most of your beloved pigeons and, in your previous thread, you said you weren't going to school. It's a little concerning and I'm honestly a bit worried for you and your situation. I also wanted to pop in because I was never a fan of rehoming pets and then getting other ones. It just doesn't strike me as being very responsible..

Also, conures (and cats!) are a lot of work. The work of a conure is comparable to your 20 pigeons ;) Besides, I'm going to take a guess and say you're still pretty young. Honestly, we young'ns have fluctuating desires. One day, you may want to rehome your pigeons and the next day you can't imagine life without them. Weigh the pros and cons and do what's best for your pigeons, your pets. I hope you're alright, though :)

critter crazy
12-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I disagree.I think it is.I think rehoming any animal is stressful and they may not be as dependent on there owners as some animals but it is still hard on them.I think it is just a BIG Deal as rehoming a dog or cat or exotic.

Exactly!! How can rehoming a pigeon be treated so diferently than any other animal?? It is your pet!! no different than a dog, or cat ect.... It just seems like everytime i turn around you are constantly trading one animal for the next! Do you not get attached?? its not like every year either, you seem to be doing this every month!! I am just confused by your actions!:confused:

Argranade
12-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Exactly!! How can rehoming a pigeon be treated so diferently than any other animal?? It is your pet!! no different than a dog, or cat ect.... It just seems like everytime i turn around you are constantly trading one animal for the next! Do you not get attached?? its not like every year either, you seem to be doing this every month!! I am just confused by your actions!:confused:

If you remember this thread ... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=117135&highlight=pigeon

Those are the pigeons I'm selling, I deleted the site because it was dumb lol.

If it seems I do it every month that's because I buy and sell pigeons to breeders, I don't keep them all as pets.