PDA

View Full Version : weird..??

slleipnir
06-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Rufus, my older dog (15-16), is acting different. Some times he doesn't eat much, and other times he eats A LOT, like a lot more then usual. I duno if thats normal or not..He poops on the floor everytime after he eats now, so we have to clean it up ALL the time. My mom says hes in pain, and doesn't have much of a life cause he has to stay in the kitchen (dad doesn't like the accidents all over the house, especially the hardwood floors) she says its best to do "it" but I don't know. Maybe it is, and im blind..Or maybe its not. I'm scared to take him in when its his time, I dont want it not to be his time and I do it anyway, and he'll be..I duno. He has trouble sitting sometimes, he'll kinda go to sit, then get up, then try again, and hold it for a min (like half sitting half not) and get up again, then lay down..What do I do? All he does is eat, sleep and go on the floor..He goes outside and barks to come in, then comes in and goes on the floor..hes deaf, and er..stupid. i guess thats the old age..when we tell him to stay out of a room, he walks right in like we didnt do anything, then when you grab his harnest to show him to get out, he pulls his head around and looks are your hand like DONT DO THAT! I heard that means he might be inpain..but we don't put ppl down that have arthrites?? The other day, I caught him chewing on the door, and scratching at it..he NEVER in his life did anything like that..I thought he wanted out, so i let him out, then i fed him and gave him fresh water, and he did it again later..Man, this is hard..im so scared..i know I'm suppose to know, and I keep asking about it, but I don't know thats the whole thing..I'm sorry to keep ranting about this..

CountryWolf07
06-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Oh wow.. I had the same experience with my first dog.. He was 16.. he had all of those problems.. I'm sorry to hear about Rufus.. That's not weird.. those are common things that happen when dogs are old.. I don't think there's anything much you could do for him.. since he's 15/16 years old.. he is in pain from what I've read so far.. :( What kind of dog is he? - Rachel

Nomilynn
06-15-2002, 01:32 AM
I'm almost in tears as I read this - the only thing I can say is that you must know that he loves you, and he knows that the decision you make was made in his best interests. Also, he is relying on you to make sure he's ok. You are the only one he can count on. I think that one day you will wake up, see him, and you will just know.. that's what happened with ours.

And if it's any consolation, when my cat went missing and I was so upset because there was no closure, I swear on my life I heard him purring one night at the end of the bed, and I could feel the lump over my foot where he would always lay. That night I dreamed about him. When I woke up (in tears) I knew he was ok. Our pets know. Good luck. My thoughts are with you :(

slleipnir
06-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Thank you. Rachel, hes a border collie. Hes so skinny too...he's always been though. I don't know how I'm suppost to feel its the right time. In a way I do, I think, but the other I'm confused. I only want whats best for him. I would ask my Vet what she thinks, but I know thats not really a fair question to ask her. My mom seems to think it's time, but my bro doesn't. We give him asprin sometimes..does that help his pain? Or does he still hurt? Wow..this is so hard..I don't think, even when it is his time, that I can take him to the vets..I know I'll start to ball right infront of the vet as he/she does it..and I don't think I could look at him as he slowly fades away..I'll feel like im killing him..I guess technically I am, but I don't want it not to be his time, and I don't want to wait till his in so much pain he can't take it..I want my bro to make choice, but I'm pretty sure he'll keep waiting...I wish I could show you a video chip on him or something and get your advise. Does this sound stupid?? I'm sorry if it does..I have this big lump in my throat...

CountryWolf07
06-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey..don't worry. It doesn't sound stupid. I know how exactly you feel when Benny was alive. The day before we put him down, I knew it was time. I wish it wasn't. I know how HARD it is to let go of a pet, believe me, I've been through it. I was angry at my parents for making the decision, I was angry at the vet, well, I'll just say I was angry at EVERYTHING. You know.. that first night without him.. I felt him, he was around me, I could sense it. I was sitting on the computer, and saw something move, I thought it was Benny just getting up to walk around, but I think it was his spirit. He's still with me.. always will be. That was a sign to let me know that he was okay. If you want to talk, you can email me @ [email protected] - Rachel

slleipnir
06-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks Rachel. When my friend KC's dog, Cody, died, she said she felt he was around too..its a weird thing..maybe its their way of saying goodbye..

CountryWolf07
06-15-2002, 01:24 PM
It's definitely a sign of their way of saying goodbye. :) - Rachel