PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Traditions

Sevaede
12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
What do you do for the holidays? Any routines? Traditions? Etc. What goes on at *your* house during the holiday season?

When I was younger, my dad put up a small tree. We also hung stockings and each put a shoe by the door. There were no milk and cookies, sorry Santa.

We (and by that I mean me. :rolleyes: ) have to establish our own traditions. Eep. Might not do that. heh. :o

Logan
12-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Life has changed a lot for me in the last 4 years, since I remarried and blended two families, so my traditions have sort of been thrown out the window! LOL!! Before my marriage, it was always tradition to spend Christmas with my parents, in their home, in their town. I always wanted to have Christmas in my home and at my own church and now I have no choice, since our kids are going this way and that way, depending on the year and the schedule. But, Christmas is always a happy time for us. We decorate our home. We have 3 trees this year! I can honestly say that we have our first 2 artificial trees, ever, but our house looks so pretty from the outside, at night, with a tree in each of the big front windows. :) We have some outdoor lights, as well.

My husband's kids (12 and 13 years old) always come to us on Christmas afternoon. My daughter, who is 15, switches off, year to year, with her dad and me. One year she is with me up until Christmas afternoon. The next, she is with him up until Christmas afternoon. This year, she will be with us before Christmas and with him after Christmas. We make it work, but this particular rotation is the toughest, as it is hard to find time for the 5 of us to be together for very long.

My husband, daughter and I will go see my parents on Christmas Eve (Sunday). Our nephew is being baptized that day. But we'll be back home on Sunday afternoon, late, in time, hopefully, to attend the Christmas Eve services at our church.

Logan

Pembroke_Corgi
12-05-2006, 02:16 PM
My family has a Christmas party on Christmas Eve at my uncle's house. When we lived in Iowa, we would do Christmas Eve/Christmas with my family and see Eric's family afterwards, usually on the New Years weekend. This year my mom is flying out for a week then I'm flying back with her and seeing my family then.

When I was little I would bake cookies with my mom and leave them for Santa. That's how I knew he was real- my mom would never eat those cookies for Santa, and they were always gone in the morning! ;)

For about 5 years we lived out in the country on an old Christmas tree farm! So, we would just go down and pick out a tree, which was interesting. They are way too big now to cut down, though, until a few months ago my dad still lived in that house and the trees are all way over 10 ft. tall now.

xcolbi
12-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, since my entire family is from Newfoundland, we do pretty much all the normal Newfie stuff :p Although we can't get together with family very much, since we only have my aunt and her family living up here with us (meaning our city).
We usually go to my aunt's house on Christmas Day, and then on Boxing Day they come to our house, or vice versa.
My brother and I always open one present on Christmas Eve, and it's always a new pair of pyjamas that we wear that night.

Donnaj4962
12-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Christmas when I was very young: We would be allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve, after Mass. Christmas morning we would wake to Christmas music playing on the family steereo in the living room, and all five of us girls would line up on the stairs (I always got to be in front since I was the youngest!) and we would then get to head down to open presents! Mom and Dad were notorious for hiding bigger gifts (usually bikes!) in the kitchen or den. They would suggest the recipient get a glass of orange juice and then she would find her big gift!

Christmas when I was a little older: My first sister got married when I was in the 6th grade, so ever since then, my family has celebrated Christmas before the 25th. Depending on when Christmas falls in the week, it is usually the weekend before. My parents started this tradition so that as more of us got married, we wouldn't have to choose whose home to be at on Christmas.... theirs or with in-laws. And as our family has grown, my sisters usually are at home with their own kids (and now grandkids!).

Christmas now: my folks live in Florida, and the rest of us are in Indiana. So they come back to Indiana for the "Family Christmas" and are back in Florida for the 25th. Since I am now single, I fly down every year and am with them and my sweetie! Mom and Dad and I have a little gift exchange in the morning, and then we head over to their American Legion where Dad tends bar for the many folks who come in since they have no family to celebrate with! It is fun.... Dad wears a Santa hat, and people bring in snackie type food and we just have a good time. We go home in the evening and have Christmas dinner.

It's different, but it works for us! And of course, my sisters and their kids all call us!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday this year!