PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I won't be on for a while...UPDATE 12/4/06

moosmom
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
After going through the hassle of driving to New Haven and picking up my computer, I had a phone line installed specifically for the internet. I was SO hyped about downloading netzero. Unfortunately, my computer is not as new as one would like it to be. In order for me to download netzero and get internet, I need a newer version of Microsoft Windows, preferably Windows XP (I currently have the ME edition). Considering XP is going to cost over $150 to get, it looks like I'll have to stick with going to the library. I just cannot justify spending (in addition to not having that kind of money) that kind of money when I just don't have it.

However, if anyone by any chance HAS Microsoft Windows XP that they are willing to let me have, I'd be eternally greatful. The hitch to MS Windows XP is that it cannot be transferrable. It can only be used once and has to be licensed to the computer it's installed on. :(:(

I've checked e-bay and bid on one for $50 but I know I'm gonna get outbid.

So, for the time being, you probably won't hear much from me. I'll try and pop by now and again. Hope you guys have a great holiday! Miss all of you!

lvpets2002
12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
:( Darn Donna & now this.. Yup my Windows XP was programmed in my computer when I bought it.. Let me look around & see what I can find ok.. :)

Karen
12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Libraris are nice places, at least! ;) I'm a Macintosh person, so cannot help with a copy of Windows, sorry.

Lady's Human
12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Donna,

PM me.

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Well I looked but it was installed by Dell in the drivers. That wont work... It wasnt a seperate program.. I tried. Maybe try peoplepc accelerated? I had a ME edition and had that until we got the satellite.

Felicia's Mom
12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I am sorry to hear about your problems. :( Hope to see you back online soon. :)

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
In order for me to download netzero and get internet,
I need a newer version of Microsoft Windows, preferably Windows XP

(I currently have the ME edition).

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

I think you got some bad info from somewhere.

NetZero "ought to work" with Windows ME - it's not THAT old!

NetZero's so-called "help" and FAQ pages make reference to Windows ME.
I tried to call the Live Support Line - but they wan $$ money to even connect.
Tried calling the Billing Line - the Indian wasn't too helpful. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif

Maybe someone else on PT uses NetZero - and can confirm Windows ME should work.

/s/ Phred

catnapper
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Donna, you want me to download the Netzero software and mail it to you? I seriously can't believe their sftware won't operate at all with ME. Plenty of people still have ME

caseysmom
12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
You probably just need an older version of netzero...when I had netzero I couldn't go over an older version for that reason.

Argranade
12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Awww .. don't bo gone too long because PT will miss you!

Good luck with your computer! :)

moosmom
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Phred,

You are absolutely right! I got home a little while ago and was really mad that I couldn't go online. It is the one thing I truly enjoy and the only other way to keep in touch with all my friends.

Anyway, I gave it one more college try and BY GEORGE!!! It works! Ah...it finally feels like home! :D :D

I need Windows XP my butt!! :rolleyes:

Logan
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh, thank goodness!!! I was sitting here thinking how sad it would be that you could not connect, Donna, just because you don't have the newer software on a perfectly good computer!!! :)

ramanth
12-05-2006, 09:08 AM
YAY!! Glad you got connected. :D

lvpets2002
12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
:) wOO hOO Donna's back-on-line.. Great going girl..