PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question.. maybe?

steelergrl
12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I am in the market for a vacuum cleaner that will pick up dog hair. My JRT sheds like crazy! I have heard that the Dyson Animal is wonderful, but was wondering if anyone else can offer some advice. My socks are full of dog hair and I vacuum at least twice a week! I would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!! :confused:

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I have a dirt devil Reaction. The bristles are just as long to get down into the carpet, but half the price. It does a great job with 4 borzois! It sure does keep this light colored carpet really clean. It even has a power attachment that spins, but I just use a dog brush on the stairs.. lol..

Vela
12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
I use the Dyson, won't use anything else now that I've used that.

jackmilliesmom
12-04-2006, 10:27 AM
hi there no advice unfortunately about the vacum cleaner but I have a JRT and he used to shed quite a bit but my vet gave me a little tip, when you wash your JRT before you dry him fully rub some baby oil into him it helps keep his skin soft and the hair loss will be a lot less than normal. I used to have to vacum at least once a day for him and he is only a short haired JRT. Have you any pictures here are some of my guy...... In one of them is our rescue - Jack found her just over a year ago and they are very happy together she is a mixed breed terrier Millie

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I would love to have one too, but they are like 500 dollars. What model did you get?

steelergrl
12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Jackmilliesmom- Mine is a short-haired too and she sheds more than my bf's wire-haired JRT. My vet gave me stuff to put in her food and it has not helped at all. Thank you so much for the advice. I will try some baby oil- I try using the lint brush on her too. :p She loves it, but it doesn't help too much. Attached is a fairly recent picture of her- I adopted her from a rescue. She is the love of my life- very calm (unlike most JRTs) and loves having her belly rubbed.

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
What about adding Linatone to her food. Its a supplement that is a dog oil based product, and pretty good. You can get it at petsmart. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5295&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026157&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1165254743779&itemNo=22&Nao=12&In=Dog&N=2026157&Ne=2

BitsyNaceyDog
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Something else that will help is to brush her often. I use a Zoom Groom (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9169&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026088&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1165255092706&itemNo=0&Ntt=zoom+grrom&In=All&previousText=zoom+grrom&N=2) brush, rubber brushes work really well on short hair dogs. I always brush then outside so the hair doesn't get all over the house.

pitc9
12-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I Looooooooove my Dyson Animal!!
Love it
Love it
Loooove it.
Won't EVER own another brand!!

Did I mention that I love my Dyson? :D

With the amount of Fur that's in my house... ugh... I SHOULD run it everyday, but only get around to it a few times a week.

Vela
12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I would love to have one too, but they are like 500 dollars. What model did you get?

Haha I'm really not sure... I got a newer one, that I can't find a pic of, it's gray and white. It is a DC14 variety but I'm not sure which one. I paid 469.99 for it at Costco. I tried so many different vaccums before finally getting the Dyson. It's been great.

steelergrl
12-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I told my bf that I really want a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. He laughed for a few minutes before realizing that I was dead serious. I am a clean freak and the fur everywhere is killing me. I think I am going to stick with the Dyson Animal because I have only heard good things about it. I have just started brushing Stitch everyday, but am going to try a rubber brush. Thank you everyone for your help. Hopefully I will get that vacuum cleaner for Christmas! ;)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-04-2006, 02:22 PM
I use the Eureka Altima and it works wonderfully for picking up pet hair. :)

Catlady711
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
My JRT sheds like crazy! My socks are full of dog hair and I vacuum at least twice a week! I would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!! :confused:

I can't offer much for reccomendations on vacuum cleaners (mine is a cheapo that only is so-so on pet hair) however since it says you live in FLA where it's basically warm year round (no heater running for the winter) I'd be somewhat concerned with why your dog is shedding so much. Sometimes excessive shedding can be a tip off to other things going on. Have you mentioned it to your vet?

If it's simiply a dry hair coat try Shed Stop, an omega 3 oil you put on the food daily, available at most Wal-Marts.

But I would have a check up done at the vet to rule out other things like ringworm, fleas, mites, allergies, etc. just to be safe.

Good luck.

cali
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I too have a Dyson animal, greatest vacuum I have ever had lol everytime I vacuum and someone comes over they ask if I shampooed the carpet! while it cost me $500 it was worth every penny.

Giselle
12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Dyson. There is no other!

K9karen
12-05-2006, 01:09 AM
I Looooooooove my Dyson Animal!!
Love it
Love it
Loooove it.
Won't EVER own another brand!!

Did I mention that I love my Dyson? :D

With the amount of Fur that's in my house... ugh... I SHOULD run it everyday, but only get around to it a few times a week.

Please tell us what vacuum cleaner you REALLY like! :p :D

I swear by my Electrolux. It cleans like a dream but I still have to vacuum 2x a week cause Mz Klo just sheds.

jackmilliesmom
12-05-2006, 04:54 AM
omg did you notice we ahve the same coloured JRT Jack has more markings but omg they are exactly the same colour white and rust - how long have you had her I bought Jack from a breeder and we have him 2 years now and he is lively but loves to snuggle down at night and especially loves to crawl under my duvet when my husband is away working and sleeps on my feet.

Millie is my rescue she is in my signature and we have her a year and she just loves to lick you and cuddle she would lick you all over and start again when she had finished she is very affectionate.

Jackmilliesmom- Mine is a short-haired too and she sheds more than my bf's wire-haired JRT. My vet gave me stuff to put in her food and it has not helped at all. Thank you so much for the advice. I will try some baby oil- I try using the lint brush on her too. :p She loves it, but it doesn't help too much. Attached is a fairly recent picture of her- I adopted her from a rescue. She is the love of my life- very calm (unlike most JRTs) and loves having her belly rubbed.

anna_66
12-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Same here. I love my Dyson. Wouldn't own anything else:D
But with 3 hairy dogs I have to vacuumn at least once and day, and if I don't have any shoes on my socks still get hairy...lol!

And as for the price, right now at Wal-Mart they have the Dyson Original (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5230519) for only $378.42 :eek: I haven't seen it cheaper any where else.

steelergrl
12-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Jackmilliesmom- I did notice that they look almost identical. I love it! Yours is beautiful too. ;) My Stitch is such a loving dog. I fell asleep on the couch last night and she fell asleep next to me on her beanbag chair under her blanket. I got her a little over 2 months ago and cannot imagine my life without her. The vet thinks she is about 15-16 months old. She follows me everywhere I go and loves to snuggle in my bed as well.

IRescue452
12-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Boy you guys are scaring me. I've never had a dog that shed much. Even with the cat we don't need to vaccuum weekly and their isn't hair everywhere. Our vaccuum cost less than a hundred dollars and it does a fine job for our house. It will be a new experience to have a dog that sheds a lot some day.

senorita02
12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I just got the Dirt Devil its red & bagless and has 2 giant funnels and a real strong hose attachment, i have 2 dogs and they shed soooo bad i vacuum for real at least 2 times a day and still have hairy socks! LOL
I spent almost 200.00 but if i could afford it i would have a Dyson too!