PDA

View Full Version : Chip and Dale STINK!!

jenluckenbach
12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
My babies always smelled SOOOOOO good, even without a bath or anything. Now they are starting to stink. :(

I am assuming it is the fact that they are now eating canned food (vs. kitten milk)

Any suggestion???? I want my good smelling kittens BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

catmandu
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Thats odd as the Found Cats dont stink, and they eat a lot of Canned Food.
You might have to do a little wiping bottom wiping , to see if they have the litter box down pat.

catnapper
12-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Wear a clothes pin on your nose? ;)

I would think its the change in food, and it'll go away once their tuimmies acclimate to their new diet.

KitCat
12-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Maybe it is time to give a bath! Or even a sponge bath with a rag that you can throw away.

jenluckenbach
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Wear a clothes pin on your nose? ;)

I would think its the change in food, and it'll go away once their tuimmies acclimate to their new diet.
I know, :( but I miss the babies so sweet you could eat.

They are not dirty kitties. As a matter of fact, these are the CLEANEST kittens I have ever HAD!!!

catnapper
12-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I know, :( but I miss the babies so sweet you could eat.

They are not dirty kitties. As a matter of fact, these are the CLEANEST kittens I have ever HAD!!!
Well Jen, I'll trade ya Pouncer for both of them. You always said Pouncer was your favorite foster! :D ;)

jenluckenbach
12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, I could do that, but I believe Pouncer might find it a little to stressful here. (LOL)

jenluckenbach
12-04-2006, 07:06 PM
And the babies have diarrhea SO bad. :( They have had good poops from their 3rd day on and now they just keep getting worse and worse.

Wouldn't something like coccidia cause the symptoms from the start, not show up later??

They have had their routine worming (roundworms/hookworms). They will be getting their fecal test this Thursday (but it's going to be hard to test liquid poop).

I feel like I am failing them. :(

But they are still happy and active, so I hope "this too, shall pass".

Catlady711
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
They have had their routine worming (roundworms/hookworms). They will be getting their fecal test this Thursday (but it's going to be hard to test liquid poop).
I don't know about how every vet tests fecal samples, but at least the way we do it, liquid poop is just as easy, if not easier, to test as regular poop...at least if it's collected in some type of plastic bag or plastic container, not paper towel/kleenex etc which absorb the sample so we can't use it.

Also young puppies/kittens usually need more than one de-worming.

I feel like I am failing them. :(

You are NOT failing them, if indeed it is coccidia it could have been gotten from the mother not necessarily from anything you've done or not done.

taken from http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=680 (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/)
"This is a common parasite and is not necessarily a sign of poor husbandry."

Wouldn't something like coccidia cause the symptoms from the start, not show up later??

Taken from http://www.purinaone.com/ (http://www.purinaone.com/catcare_cond_atoz_article.asp?Seed=655&ArticleNumber=42)
"Most infected kittens encountered by the authors are in the four to twelve week age group.
From exposure to the coccidia in feces to the onset of the illness is about 13 days. Most kittens who are ill from coccidia are, therefore, two weeks of age and older. Although most infections are the result of spread from the mother, this is not always the case. Any infected kitten or puppy is contagious to other kittens. In breeding facilities, shelters, animal hospitals, etc., it is wise to isolate those infected from those that are not."

I don't know about your area, but here we've been getting alot of rain, and consequently seeing alot more cases of coccidia.

But they are still happy and active

Being active is good, but I wouldn't wait for fecal testing until Thurs. if it was me. See if you're vet will let you just drop off a fecal sample tomorrow on your way by and call later for the results and to pick up meds if necessary.

Diarrhea in pets, especially young ones is important to nip in the bud to avoid dehydration. Some of the stink you mentioned may be due to whatever it is that is causing the diarrhea.

jenluckenbach
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I took in the stool sample today. Negative! :D

Their tummies just need to adjust.

Will be getting some medicine to help them firm up.

cassiesmom
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm glad their stool tests came back negative! When Cassie starts to smell more like her bottom than her usual kitty self, I try to give her a quick rubdown with a Kitty Wipe, which I bought at Petsmart. They're disposable, pre-moistened, have a clean smell and contain aloe. I also try to do it when she's flaking (cat dandruff) a lot. She, of course, hates this. My neighbor just wipes down her Persians with a damp washcloth from neck to tail.

rg_girlca
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are getting some medication for their diarrhea and they just need to adjust to their food. Keep us posted on this okay, Jen and I pray that they will be making nice tootsie rolls for you in about a weeks time. :D

My PeaPod has lost his widdle kitten smell also. I believe it's from him rolling and playing around in his litter box. :eek: Until he stops doing this, a bath would be useless right now. I must check out if we have any of those cat wipes here in Montreal.

Catlady711
12-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Glad to hear the kittens fecal was negative! yay! :D

Sure hope the medicine helps firm them up and make them smell better.

BTW what is the medicine they gave you to use? Just curious.

jenluckenbach
12-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Endosorb, for diarrhea. Kimlovescats ALWAYS says this is great stuff, but I have never used it up until now.

catcrazylady
12-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Jen this is soooooo common in bottle babies! You have done nothing to fail them. They just have more sensitive tummies. Try them on some yogurt and pumpkin too.
We are dealing with this at the shelter right now and all fecals are clear but for some reason we cant get it under control. I am dealing out lots of pumpkin and yogurt for nightly treats and its helping. Most babies like the yogurt.

Good luck with the little guys and hopefully they will be smelling fresh again soon!