PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Dog Question...

K9karen
12-04-2006, 12:19 AM
*Ahem*
I shamefully admit I am SO jealous of all you multi dog owners...

And, Oh Lord, now that Kay and Amy added to their family with 2 most adorable cuties, I'm getting so itchy for another dog. Seriously.

Here's my ?...Call me needy, I don't know. But I've always been afraid that having more than 1 dog (for me) would cut down on the attention I give Logan. I have enough love, but since she's been the one and only I'm afraid she'd get upset. We've had dog visitors and have (Lord knows) had our share of a few days of dog sitting. Logan's a little put off at first, maybe a little gutteral growl at first, but then totally fine, and not too intersted. She will, in the company of other dogs, constantly come over to me, keep an eye on me and follow me everywhere.

How do you know that your dogs will get along with a newcomber??? What happens if they don't? I would never ever be able to return it. I may not get another dog right away, I'll enjoy all yours, but I really really really want to stop by the SPCA (where I got Logan) this week to give them so towels and extra treats I have. I know if I walk into the kennel portion, it'll be a no brainer. So..how do you all handle the multis? Your photos are awesome of them playing.sleeping together.

cloverfdx
12-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Oh Karen that is wonderful that you are thinking of giving another needy dog a new home {{Hugs}}. We have never had any problems bringing new dogs in just the usual minor growl or snap in the first few days - week and then everyone is fine.

Also taking Logan along with you if possible to meet any possible new comers would be great and letting them meet on a neutral ground, letting them have a play and a sniff around together ;). And try not to fuss over the new dog too much, so Logan does not feel like she has to fight for your love.

Good luck vibes on the way for you and Miss Logan... there will be the perfect dog out there for you both somewhere :D.

Sevaede
12-04-2006, 01:06 AM
My parents have three dogs, right now, heh.

Sometimes they want attention at the same time or want it when another doesn't. It works itself out. They have their understandings, routines, etc.

I say go for it. Have fun "just looking". ;)

BC_MoM
12-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Mickey just had to suck it up. Finally, now, almost a year later - he's mostly back to his old self.

I just made sure I spent a lot of alone time with Mick in the beginning, and now I make sure I spend at LEAST an hour a day (sometimes at different times, not all at once) alone with each of them to play, train and cuddle.

Kfamr
12-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Oh Karen, that is wonderful you are thinking of adding!

Having more than one certainly can be very hard at times, especially when they all seem to get something "wrong" with them at the same time.

My dogs have never had many problems accepting a new dog into the home. With the foster dogs we've had, friends we've had over, etc. they are pretty used to it. I can usually tell from a dog's personality wether or not my three will like it. Puppies are a given - they all have no care in the world about puppies.

Most shelters would allow you to bring K-Lo along to introduce to a possible newcomer.

That said, my three are always a little bothered by newcomers, but they get over it quickly and learn to love eachother. :)

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 06:55 AM
I am very happy for you and your decission to add another dog into your home and heart.
The one I expected to change a little was Hottie. Except for earlier in his life, he basically was an only dog for quite awhile- as in several years. I was prepared- told myself the new comer would not know if I was adding more attention to the "the boss dog" ( Hottie) but HOttie would know if I started giving him less attention. To my shock, not only Hottie get along fine with Femka- but I also saw a change in Hottie that was for the good. He started to play more, seemed to enjoy more walking in a "pack" out in the yard, and quickly became buddies- while maintaining being such as sweet with us.
Hotties medical condition, he needs to exercise more, but without stress. To see them play, he is obviously under no stress. I even feel that having the other dogs has helped him quite a bit be more active- build stronger muscles, and less of a " throw rug" in the house except for daily long walks.
When Zubin came, I expected a little jeolously from Femka. Not only did that not happen but Femka turned into a puppy with Zubin. And when Galina came, Zubin had gotten bigger by then, and with Galina being shy- Zubins antics pulled her out of her shadow as a wall flower to a silly brazen hussy, and wonderful show dog.
Take it for what its worth- but I can see like ages, like in breed, play alike. Hottie plays more with Femka, and Zubin and Galina play with each other. I can see Femka wants to play more, but Major will fix that one. He is much smaller than the two pups, and being a neutered male, no challenage to any of the others as well.

poodleempire
12-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Having 2 or more 'dig dogs' to share your heart and home is a rollercoaster of emotions and can bring such joy into your life.
Here we have had 2 for a good many years and when one of our babies has gone to brighter pastures we as a family always liked to give our surviving 'poog' the option of only child or part of a double act :D
I wont say that things have always gone to plan,and that i havent seen some 'sreamin fights :eek: ',but our rule of thumb is we all go to see our potential new addtion and if our exsisting 'poog' doesnt want to rip the new comers head off,we are doin okay :)
I love the feeling that they have got each other to bat off,and play with and also on the times they are left they have each other to chill with.
I wish you much success in your addition if you choose to accept the challenge,and remember whatever you put in you will get back threefold :)

GreyhoundGirl
12-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Ah, good. I'm not the only jealous one. ;)

ramanth
12-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Isn't it addicting? It took us 5 years to finally add a second one.

Kia is very clingy and there were times when I wondered if she'd feel unloved, but watching her play at the Dog Park and with my sister's dogs, it was easy to see that she craved that pack mentality.

When she's home, she'd mope around, barely plays with toys. We observed her reaction around other dogs. We learned she's pushy with females but adores males and does not care for small puppies. So we knew to look for a young male dog that would get her off her butt.

Chipper fit the bill.

My dad teases us by telling Kia she's been replaced and that she might as well retire with him at their home, but it's obvious that they enjoy each others company.

Good luck in your search!

Rachel
12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I've had two sets of *two* at different times. Both situations have been completely different. My first two were mother and daughter and they got along famously. Each day they would spend time playing together. My current two just don't play but they are good buds, although Hannah says she doesn't care if Tucker stays or goes. Tucker would be lost without Hannah. Neither seems to suffer from lack of attention.

Bailey and Tizzie seemed to have similar needs as far as going out and doing their business. Hannah and Tucker are truly like having TWO dogs, each with their own schedules in that respect. Hannah like to sleep late, Tucker gets up early. Lesson learned, don't expect it to be just a little bit more work, it can be a lot more work.

When Tucker first came to live with us, we had a few down and dirty, fight to the death type fights, over a chewy bone. Fortunately I was there to pull them apart, although my heart was in my throat. Minutes later it was like it never happened. I never had to keep them separated.

Beware, once you have two, it's hard to go back to one. Since my dogs have been the same size *mejiums* - I often wonder what it would be like to have dogs of considerably different sizes.

TFTpwnsYou
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't think you would have any trouble getting another dog. As long as you either get a puppy, or an older dog who is friendly twards other dogs. You never have to worry about attention. You can always give enough to both, and truthfully I think dogs are happier when they have a dog buddy. I hope you get your wish of a second dog though. It's always more fun. :)

K9karen
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Kim- you hit the nail on the head...she gets a bit annoyed with puppies jumping on her (they later give up) and it's amazing how the canine system works! I get frazzled, but once Klo lets them know who's boss, all is cool. She likes "the Boys" a lot. Hmmm. I'm getting an early start today with errands..in a moment of weakness, I just may stop in the SPCA. Or John may muzzle and strong arm me and forbid me right now..with me being ill (not to worry..back related of course), the holidays etc...

Oh, it's gonna happen, believe me. Jealousy has reared it's ugly head. ;)

Yep, was thinking of taking the Princess with me when I decide!

jackmilliesmom
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Well Jack was a lone dog for over a year and the only mixing done was with John's parents dog Snowie another Jack Russell (that was limited though) but he found our little rescue himself and her name is millie hence the sign in name. Jack found Millie in November last year when we went out for a walk and he heard her muffled little moan and made me walk across the road to the hedge opposite (we live in the country) and he found a black refuse sack with 4 pups in it and three were dead and only one survived. I was anxious because I felt if we kept her he would get jealous but get this we called an animal rescue centre and they could not come for a couple of days so we kept her until then and when they came to take her Jack went for them and the guy said that Jack was not going to let her go. now we get less attention from them and they pay more attention to one another.

They still come up for cuddles and kisses (only when they want though and usually at the same time) but other than that I am just the food and drink provider so I am not getting enough attention from them............

so your dog may surprise you and give you less attention and more attention to his new mate/friend - check it out bring him to a rescue centre and see or a breeder and see how he reacts

gemini9961
12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
When we added Maggie we already had Sadie and they took to each pretty well. They have their moments but they will share a bed with each other too. When we added Grant it was a whole different deal, it took Sadie a little bit to adjust to him but then again he was bigger than her. Eventually, all 3 got along and Grant knows his sisters are top dogs and he takes a back seat to them in the pack order. I have caught all 3 on the dog bed before but was unable to get the camera soon enough. I think, with time, if you add a new dog Logan will adjust and she just <gasp> might like having a little brother or sister around.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm a goner at shelters, too. The first time we visited the Denver Dumb Friends Leage, we came home with a cat. :rolleyes:

Adding a second dog does create more work, but it's worth it for sure. It's so fun to see your dogs interact and play together, plus you have another companion to love. Just make sure you read up on pack heirarchy and understand the dynamics that will take place.

Good luck at the SPCA. :D

sumbirdy
12-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Different dogs react to another member added in different ways. I have 16 dogs and some of them are fine with other dogs and the others have to have a little work (I have to give them extra attention for the first week to assure them that, no, they are not being replaced.) But eventually it all works out.

ramanth
12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I wish you all the luck! :D

Our original plan was to take Kia with us to meet any prospective dog, but we decided to risk it with Chipper. :D

lizbud
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
I really never thought of getting a second dog with Buddy. It was me
and him against the world. :D But with Smokey, after a little while, I felt
another dog would be welcome here. Found Maggie & the brought her home.
It's like Maggie is Smokey's other half.They got along from the first day. :)

dukedogsmom
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Oh! Just now saw this. I can't wait for you to do this! Please do it before I get there. I would love to get some good pics of all of you. I'll make sure Klo doesn't fall short of loving :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm so excited that you are considering adopting another dog!

I personally don't think I'll ever be without at least 2 dogs. I love the way my dogs interact with each other and they have each other when my husband and I aren't home.

We've never had any trouble adding another dog to our family. My dogs all accept other dogs beautifully. We always introduce them to a new addition or a visitor in the yard. We'll put the new dog/visitor in the yard and then take our dogs out one at a time to meet their new friend. After a few good sniffs they are fine with each other.

When my sister got her dachshund, Molly, she brought Molly over to meet my dogs. We put Molly in my back yard and let Bitsy out to meet her first. Once they were fine with each other I brought out Charlie, with Bisty still in the yard. We continued to do this until all 6 of my dogs had met and become friends with Molly. It only took maybe a half an hour to introduce all of them to her and then they were all running and playing together.

Having a good strict schedule is important in this house. We set a timer and take the dogs outside every 2 hours. We also have a dry erase board chart on the refrigerator where we mark down when each dog goes potty.

They also each have their own crate where they eat. I couldn't imagine feeding the 6 of them without their crates. They sleep in their crates at night too.

As far as exercise goes, they don't each get walked everyday. Even if they don't get walked they get some other form of exercise. They love to fetch balls or other toys and that can be great exercise for them. They also like to chase each other around the yard. I think they are more active because they have each other to play with.

captain
12-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Karen!!!
I was just writing your Christmas Card, and was thinking that you may be the only PT'er with ONE dog .............. and now look what I find you are thinking about!!!!

I have two dogs, and would have more (but hubbie says NO). I love my boy Captain so much, and was concerned when I got Ruby - whether I would love her enough - but let me tell you, she is a totally different dog to him, she DEMANDS love and will shove her head anywhere there is a hand free :D
BUT, it is on her terms. If she doesn't want you to LOVE her, she walks away. Poor Captain, he just sits and lets me love him :D

Oh Boy, Oh Boy - I can't wait to see if you actually do it :D :D :D

shais_mom
12-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Karen!!!
I was just writing your Christmas Card, and was thinking that you may be the only PT'er with ONE dog .............. and now look what I find you are thinking about!!!!

Oh Boy, Oh Boy - I can't wait to see if you actually do it :D :D :D
Not true
There's ME! ;)
And I have no intention of getting another one anytime soon - if I add anything to my house my mom says its going to explode!
I'm glad you are researching this Karen - I have no doubt whatever you decide to do will be the best decision for all of you. You know Logan and you know her needs and wants and how she will respond.
I always thought Keegan and Kia were similiar - both verrrry much momma's girls how could they not be? ;) But in the times I have been around Kia she has flourished and is much more laid back around other dogs and calmer. I'm sure it helps that Kim is able to socialize her with her sister's dogs on a regular basis. My Keegan on the other hand, I can't see her getting a long with another dog at all. She is too jealous. She tolerates the bigger dogs and that of PetTalker's dogs b/c she has been around them repeatedly. But new dogs she definately shows who is boss and isn't quiet about it. I had a lady at the dog park w/ a Golden and Keegan was being noisy and bouncing around - I attributed it to her trying to play the lady was flippin out - is your dog friendly - I said yes she's playing - so I don't let her get that way with other dog especially Goldens (honest- I don't know what it is but she acts that way around other Goldens - Anna's Roxey does the same thing with huskies). I had her at the park recently and she was acting like that and the other couple encouraged her with their Golden. They LOVED it - I was wringing my hands and as nervous as...... but they got along fine.
I just keep an eye on Keegan around other dogs - big or small. She doesn't mind little dogs, she loves my neighbors shih tzu, Zoey. I always say "easy" or "gentle" around small dogs. Big dogs I watch her mainly b/c of her hips and she gets touchy with other dogs around her hips. And if dogs are wrestling like at the PT meetings and various siblings get to wrestling - like Roxey and Huney or Cinder and Smoke or Sadie and Spot or Cincy she gets a bit overly excited and tries to referee. I keep her at my side and try to keep her quiet. I just try to keep both of us out of the melee so she doesn't get her hips hurt and I don't get slammed from behind (bad knees).
I don't know if it is a Golden thing or what but Diana - 5 dog mom's Dazzi likes to referee also. She has their dogs chosen as her puppies and she doesn't like it if her brood gets out of line. ;) She has went after Keegan in the previous years we started getting together. The one time she scratched Keegan's nose (she was fine) but the next time we got together another dog came after Keegan - Dazzi shot right in and defended her. Dazzi doesn't join us much at the dog park which stinks b/c she is a sweetie. The last time I had Keegan at Carl and Diana's house - Dazzi ignored Keegan and there were no problems.
If you get a dog that is easy going like it seems Kim and Andy got of Chipper -things should be ok. You know your heart, (and I know you won't be able to resist! ;)) and you know K-LO - sooooo I'll be looking forward to seeing your new addition! :p
That said - Keegan gets along famously with her kitty sister's! Kloe prefers her to Kylie or ME! And when I talked with the Pet Psychic she didn't even mention Keegan and she said it must be b/c they live in harmony and peace. :)

jesse_3
12-05-2006, 12:02 AM
If my Jesse can accept another dog into our house, pretty much any other dog can!
Jesse can be very dog aggressive over little things, so when Jemi' came into the picture, I was very nervous. Jemi' is an in-your-face type of dog with anyone/anything. Jesse likes her space. Well, for the first month or two we had problems. Jemi' has helped Jesse with her aggression problem though! Jesse learned how to tolerate bothersome things, and that new dogs are not bad! So there is good that came out of our situation.

I think that eventually Logan will like your new dog/puppy! She just won't realize it at first. That is often what happens. Sammy isn't that way though, she loves all dogs and people, so maybe Logan will be more like her!

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck, and I cannot wait to see pics for a new arrival;) PT can't have enough dogs!!!!!!

K9karen
12-05-2006, 12:35 AM
:D :D :D Whew! I'm so relieved I'm not the only single dog owner!

It was basically because, when I got Cody in 1991, my folks just retired cause dad developed Parkinsons. And, as I always say, I was the WORST dog trainer in the world (still am, but I think the Princess is so grateful for adoption, she's really as good as gold) ;)

Didn't go to the SPCA today. Maybe, MAYBE when Val gets here. MAYBE. At least she won't have a boring time here

I would take Logan, of course. But that may not be a good indication. She's petrified when I take her to the SPCA to visit the employees. It's the only place and instance when she pees on their floor the second she walks in the door, even after going outside. She may be scared to react. But, I think a smaller male would be awesome for her.

I contacted Nancy, the pet psychic. She'll call me in about 2-3 weeks. I may ask her how the Princess will do, just for fun.

Thanks for all the great advise!

Love..

The single dog owner..... :D