PDA

View Full Version : rib x-rays

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I haven't gotten her for e rays yet. But how much should I expect for ribs? I barely put any pressure on her to pick her up for bath and she yelped. Since then any time we get near her tummy she yelps. She's acting very weird rightnow like she's scared. I'm calling vets tomorrow and get an appt for MY vet, not the partner.

What if she's had previous broken ribs? What can we do?

I'm thinking she may have been either hit by car, or very badly abused and kicked. I'm guessing abused as she's hand shy and stays with you off leashe. But she sure is a cuddle bug.

Right now she's acting like I hurt her. But she's hiding at my feet.

So I don't think hip displaysia anymore, like vet thought and didn't offer x rays. I'm thinking previous broken body and shelter fosterer hid it. She said she's perfectly healthy. But I picked her up with tons of tics.

Could her bones or whatever be hurting from tics? She also won't let me get her feet so I can cut them. I had to fight her just to take off some of the fur. So I will have vet cut those too.

Where's a pet psychic when I need one?

lizbud
12-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Who are you talking about?

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 06:28 PM
my dog runner

lizbud
12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
What's wrong with her? I must have missed the thread where you talked about it.

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure. I adopted her a few months ago. She always seems overly sensitive which made me think she had hip displaysia. So I took her to the vet and they didn't even do x rays. He said he could just see and feel it.

but it's not just her hips. Her chest is sensitive too. So now I no longer think it's HD, I think she was abused and got kicked a lot. Because I can just barely put pressure on her underside to lift her, and she will yelp. A lot of times where I wouldn't expect her to hurt, she does.

I also asked the lady I adopted her from if she had been injured or anything, she said no. But I think she just doesn't know, and hasn't had much experience with her to know. When I got her, her fur was coming out in CLUMPS, she had never been brushed. She was covered in tics. Tho she did have a flea/tic drop on her back that didn't do much.

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
K, so a good portion of the day has gone by and I tried to pet Runner on her tummy and hind portion. She still won't let me there. I can't even touch her fur. So something either happend, or is worse. I can't wait to call the vet tomorrow.

T&P for Runner

lute
12-03-2006, 09:16 PM
poor Runner! i hope it's nothing bad. keep us updated!

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
All I did was try to pick her up for bath, I barely put any pressure. And she's been like this all day. :confused:

luvofallhorses
12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
maybe she's just a sensitive dog? I hope there is nothing really wrong with her. :( please keep us updated.

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I just went and tried to pet her again. She won't let me touch her. All I was touching was her back, she started yelping. So I stayed on her head. She won't even let me touch her head. She yelps and tries to nip me. NOw she's scared of me. :( :(

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 10:53 PM
ok, I can pet her now, but the second it feels like I'm going to her underside she yelps.

does it mean anything if she's had heartworms and has been treated? would that make a doggy sore? HOw would one know if she got them again? she is on preventative.

areias
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I would get her to a vet to have a check-up. It may be a broken rib, but if you said that she was a very calm dog I don't see this to be likely. If she had any pain from her previous owners, she would have shown it by now. I know it's hard to see under all the hair, but does her abdomen look swollen at all? Any lumps or anything? How old is she now? Was she spayed before you got her? Is she spayed at all? You said you cannot touch her chest or her belly...have you ever been able to touch under there?

On second thought...what state do you live in? If she had a lot of ticks-maybe (I don't want to scare you) lyme disease? Lyme disease can give the appearance of hip dysplasia and soreness to the touch. A lot of times it goes undetected until severe symptoms pop up, such as you mentioned. Mention it to your vet when you go.
Here's a link:
http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0043.htm

Without treatment, Lyme disease causes problems in many parts of the dog’s body, including the heart, kidneys, and joints. On rare occasions, it can lead to neurological disorders. Lyme disease most commonly is associated with symptoms such as a high fever, swollen lymph nodes, lameness, and a loss of appetite.

Hope this helps...good luck Runner! I'd get her to the vet tomorrow.

ashleycat
12-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Texas. I was able to touch her there. When she's not scared. Todays is the worst I've seen her.

Shes 3 yrs old. I don't think we have deer here.

molucass
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I don't know where "here" is, but there is definitely deer in Texas.

areias
12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Don't need deer to have lyme disease. Although generally passed through "deer ticks", it can also be found in the regular black tick. The lyme disease bacteria can live in wild mice...and ticks lay larvae on the mice..ticks ingest the bacteria that is not harmful to them...then they drop on another animal and that animal gets affected by the lyme disease.

ashleycat
12-04-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't know where "here" is, but there is definitely deer in Texas.
lol, dfw

ashleycat
12-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Her appt is at 3 today. I have 2 offices I go to lol..

borzoimom
12-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Let us know. ..