PDA

View Full Version : fighting cats!

sugarcat
12-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Okay, I have a big male cat that's about a year and a half and he's a siamese mix. I just recently got a little kitten, and she is some sort of manx mix....she is still around a month old....

When they both first met they just seemed scared, and they just stared at each other and didn't go close. A little while ago I put them together again...I think my little kitten was trying to play with him...but he just got scared or annoyed or something and they starting screaming and fighting like crazy.

I love both of these cats very much. I want to keep them both, and I don't always want to try and seperate them in different rooms. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help them get along? Do they fight because of their breeds? Or would it help if I got my big cat neutered?

catnapper
12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
How long have you had this new cat? How slowly did you introduce them? How many times have they met?

Introductions must be done slowly and yes, keep the kitten in a se[parete room for a few weeks if necessary.

sugarcat
12-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I've just had her for a couple of weeks...and they've only met three times....
is there a chance thqat they will start to get along?

Freedom
12-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Borh cats should be fixed, the older one now, the younger when she is old enough.

It can take up to 6 weeks for 2 cats to adapt to living together. Particularly when one has been the only and king of the roost! You have to keep the separated, let them scent each other. place a towle in with each, then switch the towels. Spend time with the kitten, then spend time with the fella so he smells her on YOU.

You have to establish that YOU are the king and that YOU make the rules. They may or may not become best buddies, that is their choice. But you can almost alway getto the point that they will tolerate each other.

Make sure you have plenty of toys for the baby, she has LOTS of energy!!

catnapper
12-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Is there a chance? DEFINATELY! they only met three times - thats nothing in cat terms. It took Pouncer 6 months to even tolerate Flutter. Now she's the only one who plays and wrestles with him. Allen took only a week to love Pouncer. What I'm satying is every cat is different as to how quickly they adjust to a new cat in the household but eventually they do come to like each other. Its rare that one cat HAS to be an only cat, so since this si only the 3rd meeting, I'd say give your cat more time to adjust to his new sister.

catmandu
12-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, There Were Cats Who Did Not Adapt At The Hotel As Quickly As Others.
But Let Them Get Used To Each Other, And You Should Have A Friendly Cat Dynamic Duo One Day.
Patience, As These Things Do Take Time.

sugarcat
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
thank you so much everyone