PDA

View Full Version : So what else is new?

catnapper
12-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Major owie.... I think I just broke my foot. IOnly I could drop a 50 pound metal vice on my foot while hunting for family photos in the basement. It swelled up immediately and hurts like heck.

My SIL was over and looked at it - she says based on my crappy insurance and the swelling I should just wait for my regular doctor tomorrow because even if I went to the ER, they couldn't do anything like putting a cast it for a few days until the swelling went down.

I seriously hate my life. How on earth will I be able to do dog training? I HAVE to work or I'm so dead.

ramanth
12-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Hopefully it's not broken. Could you get a walking cast put on it if it is? Then you could use a cane vs. cruches and still do dog training. :)

borzoimom
12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Major owie.... I think I just broke my foot. IOnly I could drop a 50 pound metal vice on my foot while hunting for family photos in the basement. It swelled up immediately and hurts like heck.

My SIL was over and looked at it - she says based on my crappy insurance and the swelling I should just wait for my regular doctor tomorrow because even if I went to the ER, they couldn't do anything like putting a cast it for a few days until the swelling went down.

I seriously hate my life. How on earth will I be able to do dog training? I HAVE to work or I'm so dead.
Yes and no.. Depends on the insurance. Usually insurance companies treat an emergency at 100 percent.. After all- you have no way of knowing if you cracked or broke a bone. Where as if you go to the doctor, it will be a referal if you did and thats usually done at 80 percent for orthopedic. ( I went through this last year when I broke my leg in the fibula and tibula...) The emergency room becomes the referal with you only having to contact your doctor .. who will tell you they are not orthopedic, and refer you.
Go to the emergency room- you dont know if you broke it.. ( the concern is " a broken foot or leg can make dangerious clots...)

jenluckenbach
12-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Kimmy, Kimmy, Kimmy......WHAT an I going to do with you!?!? My foot hurts just thinking about yours. :eek:

I am totally insurance stupid (HA! what do I need to know??....I dont HAVE any :rolleyes: ) So just do what you think is best. I would hate the thought of it getting worse. :(

k9krazee
12-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Ouch! Sending 'feel better soon' vibes!

kimlovescats
12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I agree ... check your insurance coverage. When I fractured my foot in two places, my regular physician missed it on his x-ray. It was after 3 months of constant pain that I finally was referred to an orthopedic. He put me in a cast for a couple of months and STILL ended up referring me further to an orthopedic SURGEON! I had surgery and all of this together kept me off of my foot and in a cast for a YEAR!!!

Hugs and gentle rubbies for your foot! ;)

borzoimom
12-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree ... check your insurance coverage. When I fractured my foot in two places, my regular physician missed it on his x-ray. It was after 3 months of constant pain that I finally was referred to an orthopedic. He put me in a case for a couple of months and STILL ended up referring me further to an orthopedic SURGEON! I had surgery and all of this together kept me off of my foot and in a cast for a YEAR!!!

Hugs and gentle rubbies for your foot! ;)
We went to the emergency room that night. I was later told if I had not, I would have paid 20 percent of the bill and operation that came at a later date.. I would go. This is NOT a cold or something- the general agreement is you are checking if you broke a bone..

catnapper
12-03-2006, 02:35 PM
After a couple hour nap, I feel a lot better and my foot feels.... swollen and sore. But I am able to put pressure on it and can wiggle my toes. Its swollen and VERY ugly.

Hubby called the 800 number on the back of the insurance card and they confirmed it would be best for me to wait til tomorrow. If this hurts like it does now, for the rest of the night, I will be able to tolerate this til tomorrow.

Its nice my SIL is an Xray tech and can agree with my decision to wait.

I bawled like a baby when this happened today. I think mainly because my mind was saying "oh great, one more thing!" Like a mini breakdown. I have SO MUCH to do for the holidays. Heather's Christmas gift is for me to repaint her room, which I was going to start Wednesday afternoon (she's such a great kid - she knows we are having money issues so picked the one thing that she really wanted and knows I can do for her) and now with this toe/foot thing I won't be able to paint... and of course the color I got will take a dozen coats of paint (I LOVE Sherwin Williams' mistint section: A gallon of burgundy paint for 93 cents! but the salesgirl warned since its a dark red that it'll take a lot of coats. I've worked with dark reds before - she's right)

catnapper
12-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Woohoo! My foot/toes are not broken!!! Happy dance.... no, wait, make that a tender foot tap ;)

The doctor's office FINALLY called with the results of my Xrays and said there's no fracture on my foot or toes, but I apparently have a heel spur :confused: I have NO IDEA what a heel spur is, nor was I aware I even had one. Its obviously not bothering me so I won't worry about it. :p

All I can say is my foot feels worse today than the past few days because I actually spent a little time on my feet today. The bruising and swelling have gone down a lot. I have a few classes to teach tonight, so my students are gonna have a doggy trainer dressed in bedroom slippers and sitting down for the majority of the class! :eek:

Pembroke_Corgi
12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Awww, sorry to hear about your foot. I'm glad that it's not broken, though. Hope you feel better soon!

pitc9
12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Glad to hear nothing is broken!!

I don't know if heel spurs are the same as bone spurs... but my dad has bone spurs on the top of his feet and they are VERY painful!!

Take care of yourself!!!

mina'smomma
12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Oh Goodness Kim. I'm beginning to think if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. I hope your foot is feeling better soon.

lizbud
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm glad to hear that nothing's broken. Going to work with a bum foot
earns major brownie points with any employer. :D They will think, "What
a trooper". :D

borzoimom
12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I am glad the foot is not broken. A heel spur occurs over time, so its probably a good thing that this happened for it to become obvious. As far as removal, the spurs usually grow back fast. I will be interested to see what they say... Keep us posted, and we are relieved to see its not broken!!!

kimlovescats
12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
That's great news, Kim! Just take it easy on it! ;)

cassiesmom
12-05-2006, 07:27 PM
(I'm a nurse :) )
A heel spur is a knot of bone that forms on your calcaneus (heel bone). I'm glad nothing is broken, I bet your foot is bruised, please take good care !!