PDA

View Full Version : my dog is sick!

Breezybabe01
12-04-2000, 03:43 PM
my dog, Breezy, has been throwing up a lot the last 3 days, and it seems to just be bile. We have had a lot of company over, since the loss of my brother, and we are wondering if it is just her nerves, because of all the company, and we found coated asprin on the floor, and we are wondering if it's not that. if you think of anything else, please post a reply!!

dogncatluvr
12-04-2000, 04:33 PM
Breezy,

I am sorry of the loss of your brother. Your dog can sense that you are upset and this may be a part of the vomiting. Are you giving your dog the coated aspirin? I would stop that first and see what happens. Is your dog eating while all of this confusion is going on at your house? If not, that could be a part of the problem too. If the vomiting does not stop in the next day or two at the most, I'd take it to the vet.

AdoreMyDogs
12-04-2000, 05:24 PM
Breezy,

I am so sorry for your loss. That must be very difficult to go through http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

I don't want to alarm you but is Breezy up to date on her vaccinations? With her added stress her immune system is probablly lower then usual, and she is more suseptable to disease. Does the vomit have a strong, foul odor to it? Does she also have diheria? How old is she?

It may be strictly stress related, but I would treat it as something potentially dangerous and take her to the vet right away to be on the safe side, being that she's under lots of stress at the loss of your brother.

After all the heartache you have been through, I am sure you don't want to think about taking the dog to the vet...perhaps you know of someone who might take her so you can take the time to relax, meditate, mourn and do what you want to do for YOU. I do think she needs to go tho, because if she is sick, if it's caught early enough it's far more treatable.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish you comfort and peace throughout this painful experience.

ktreva52
12-04-2000, 05:38 PM
I'm with AdoreMyDogs -- a trip to the vet is in order. That was what my JRT did when she had parvo. That and diaherria and she lost weight quickly. Even if she's current on shots, she may be so stressed from all the activity and your loss that she has contracted something not good. If for no other reason, take her so they can help re-hydrate her, because she's losing a lot of fluid this way and that weakens her immune system even further. Please keep us posted and our thoughts and prayers are with you in this very difficult time.

lhg0962
12-04-2000, 08:16 PM
I agree, first speak with your veterinarian. You might also want to try and isolate her when so many people are around. The whole situation could be very upsetting, especially if people might be feeling sorry for her and giving her too much "people" food. I'm sure she's nervous because of all of the people being around, and she can also probably detect that you are all under a great amount of stress and very sad.
Good luck and take care of yourself. I'm so sorry about your loss.

tatsxxx11
12-05-2000, 05:04 AM
Definitely Breezy! The LAST thing you need right now is more stress or uncertainty in your life. Let someone else carry a bit of the load right now. Go see your vet asap. For Breezy's sake as well as yours. Or as was suggested, have someone else take her. It is probably something minor; but I am sure just knowing will give you great relief. Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Please know my loving thoughts are with you, your family and with Breezy. Please let us know you BOTH are.

Sudilar
12-05-2000, 01:43 PM
So very sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted on Breezy. Our thoughts are with you.

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited December 05, 2000).]

Breezybabe01
12-05-2000, 08:30 PM
We are not giving Breezy any coated asprin. We found it on the floor, and think that she got into it or something. She is 9 years old, and does not have diearrea, and we had been feeding her. She is up-to-date on her vaccinations, so we are pretty sure that she just got into the coated-asprin we found on the floor. She has stopped vomiting now, but if you think it is an illness, or disease, please post something to tell me about it! Thanks!

RottieLover
12-05-2000, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about you'r loss.

what breed is you'r dog?
I found with max that he had heartburn & that caused him to vomit. with him being about 170 we gave him Zantac (did I spell that right?), you might want to ask you'r vet about something like that.
also depending on the size of you'r dog. Like in big dogs sometimes they can't digest there food proberly, so elavateing it helps them digest it a little bit better.

But if I was you I'd call my vet.

good luck ~~

tatsxxx11
12-06-2000, 04:32 AM
Breezybabe: How is "Breezy?" Were you able to get her to the vet? Concerned about you both. When you feel up to it, please let us know how you both are.

Breezybabe01
12-06-2000, 01:52 PM
Breezy is 9 years old, and you did spell zantac right. She is doing alot better, tatsxxx. Thank you for your concern & posts. Please, if you know of anything else, post something, and we haven't gotten to the vet yet, it's been very busy week.

ktreva52
12-06-2000, 11:45 PM
It sounds to me like she got into someone's purse or something and got into the aspirin. It could actually be a case of aspirin poisoning that may be passing. As long as she isn't losing weight or eye luster, you may be okay, but maybe you could call your vet and confirm? That way, you get an idea of what he/she thinks and if he/she feels you need to bring her in (and please explain what's going on in your family), then maybe your neighbor will be kind enough to take her. I hope it is something that is passing through (literally and figuratively) and she is fine. Are you guys doing okay? Is there anything else we can do to help you out? Hugs and thoughts to all of you.

Breezybabe01
12-08-2000, 03:06 PM
Thank you all very much for helping me through this time. It is still very difficult, and it always will be. You all have done so much for me already, by posting all your replys! Thank you again, and please keep posting!

tatsxxx11
12-08-2000, 04:55 PM
Don't forget we're all with you Breezy!! I hope Breezy pup continues to improve and that you both can try and catch up on some much needed rest and renewal. You are both in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I hope you have a peaceful evening and hopefully some restful sleep.

carrie
12-08-2000, 05:55 PM
Please remember the spirit of this wonderful site - we are all here for the animals and for the people who love and take care of them. Anytime you need support or a shoulder or just to say how c**p you feel - we are here and are only feeling that we want to help,listen and try to comfort you. All our thoughts are with you, I think about you every day, I only wish we could all be with you and be of more use to you.

RachelJ
12-09-2000, 03:52 PM
I haven't posted yet because others were essentially saying what needed to be said but I just wanted you to know that I too am thinking of you and am so sorry for your loss.