PDA

View Full Version : A little late but a cruel new Thanksgiving "sport"

buttercup132
12-01-2006, 10:58 PM
My teacher said in the news the other day or the newspaper there was a new American Thankgiving "sport tradition".

It's to get a big turkey put a rope around its neck swing it around above your head and throw it.Who ever gets theirs the farthist wins..and I'm pretty sure she said it was while the turkey was alive.?

EDIT//Sorry if this belongs in Dog house, I wasn't sure

Karen
12-01-2006, 11:01 PM
I won;t believe it until I see documentation, as that would be "animal cruelty" and therefore illegal.

junescrater716
12-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Exactly Karen. Who would be dumb enough to do that??? lol

Twisterdog
12-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Hmmmmm ....

Although anything is possible, I suppose, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about this one.

I have never heard a single word about this anywhere. I would also imagine the logistics of this would be prohibitively difficult for most people ... where exactly does one get a live turkey, for one thing? And how does one control and subdue a live, presumably angry, thirty pound bird long enough to put a rope around it's neck and swing it around?

Not saying it's not possibly ... it just seems like too much work for the average prankster to want to contend with.

Glacier
12-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Are you sure it wasn't with frozen turkeys? We have a Turkey Bowling at our winter festival here. Bowling on a frozen street with frozen turkeys. It's ridiculous! We've had the turkeys donated to our dogs after the event the last few years!

buttercup132
12-02-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't know anything else about it as I just herd it from my teacher.

I know that it would be labled cruelty thats why I wondered why it would be going on.

Maybe they arent alive then, but still thats so wrong!

elizabethann
12-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I saw a news story about people throwing frozen turkey's that were on fire. They were swinging them on a rope over their heads & the person who threw the turkey the farthest won. I don't know what state it was from.

Perhaps that's what your teacher meant?

jackie
12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I saw a news story about people throwing frozen turkey's that were on fire. They were swinging them on a rope over their heads & the person who threw the turkey the farthest won. I don't know what state it was from.

Perhaps that's what your teacher meant?

This sounds more plausible.

BC_MoM
12-04-2006, 10:18 AM
That's pretty gross, if it's true. I've never heard anything like that, though.

moosmom
12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Glacier,

That was my first thought too. I'm SURE it's a frozen turkey. Like Karen said, if it isn't frozen, then what they're doing is cruelty and illegal.

Sophist
12-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I think these guys have figured it out... if they're right, then all I have to say is what a waste of food and animal's lives...