PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test! (Eek..)

CountryWolf07
06-14-2002, 11:21 AM
I am going for my driver's liscense next week on Tuesday at 2:00pm.. Oh wow, I'm really nervous/a bit scared that I may fail or whatever else.. I have to do the manuverability first, which is easy. I can do either right or left.. but I constantly think I'll fail at that! I know, bad thoughts, I should be thinkin' "GOOD" thoughts... and if I pass, I go on to drive around, do stops, do some right turns, and left turns...I know *I* can do it, as long I don't think too much and do what I'm supposed to do :) If I get my liscense (which I'm crossing my fingers for..) I will buy a CD player for my car, maybe on Wednesday or Thursday. I need my country cd's ;).. Were any of you guys REALLY nervous like I am now? - Rachel

ramanth
06-14-2002, 11:53 AM
TERRIFIED! That's what I was.

And this was just last week when I got my license renewed and had to take a test. ;)

Seriously, I was scared and nervous then and I was scared and nervous that they wouldn't renew my liscense if I got any questions wrong. (I did get 1 wrong but that was okay)

I took Driver's Education thru my High School. They've changed that now, now sure about other states.

But when I took it, the teacher got me so flustered that when I went to park the car I hit the accelerator and not the brake. He started screaming again and I was more angry than upset but bit my tongue. I remember Shannon, my driving partner, was in the back seat and burst into tears.

Later she asked me how I had not cried with him yelling at me. I'm not really sure even to this day. I can get mildly reprimanded by my boss and will cry. I'm a huge cry baby. I don't like being yelled at or told I did something wrong. :o

CountryWolf07
06-14-2002, 12:29 PM
Wow.. You know what? I had a another instructor before this one. She was probably the MEANEST lady I've had.. she always seemed like she didn't CARE! I mean it. I was learning the manuverability with her, and it was like, I had to turn my head to look in the back window, um hello? MY NECK was sore afterwards! I'm thinking "there has to be an another way.." She has yelled at me a lot, and she really, really, REALLY made me nervous everytime I was driving. I hated driving, seriously. So I know how you felt!! I hate it when people make me nervous or angry. I can NOT handle it.. I lose my temper easily..I was about to have it with the first instructor. But now.. with my new instructor? I LOVE driving :) I owe it to him, lol. He made everything so easy, he taught me a better way to do the manuverability. He has told me tips/tricks on how to pass the driving test.. he's very nice. He's hilarious, he just makes it everything fun! He teased me one time by covering one mirror I was looking at to do my right manuverability, and I couldn't see, so I said "take your hand off! I can't do this!" and he said "oh sure.. just pretend you can see it".. lol. :) If I pass, I'm going to give him a card :D cuz' like I said, I owe it all to him! - Rachel

06-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Maybe you can put some courage out of this story !!

In 1983 , we arrived in the USA (St.-Louis , Missouri) for a stay of two years . Although we both had a drivers license since 9 years , we had so much difficulties to get a normal-price car insurance .
They all wanted to charge us at least four times the normal rate , just because they didn't trust us ans thought we Belgians were bad and irresponsible drivers !!:mad: :mad: :mad:
One company however was willing to give us a reasonable rate , if we agreed to get a Missouri drivers license . Get this well : we had exactly one day to take the technical AND the practical exams !!!:eek: Not really fair hey !!!!
But we gave it a go !! All evening , we were studying on a little book with drivers rules ,trying to understand something about all those strange measures ( we use metric system in Belgium !!) .
In the morning , we took of to the exam-centre with our hired car , both a big bunch of nerves ....:eek:
First we took the 20 questions-technical test !!! Waw , I think I was showing off all colours between white , red and I know what ..! I had at least 5 questions on measures ... . I didn't have a clue about what to answer ; but i guesses ; and ........... we bot succeeded !!
Then the practical test . I was first !! My instructor asked me to stop at a certain spot , and as I was not used to this car and the new brakes , he almost flew through the window .......... . But after all it went okay . I even got more points than my husband !

But the result was perfect : a big success for both of us !!
So you see , if you really want something and really need it badly , keep your hopes up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crikit
06-14-2002, 01:08 PM
I got my license in the beginning of april and yes I was freaking out as much as you were if not more...It took me three tests in two days to pass and with each fail my hopes sunk even more but you just have to relax and take a deep breath and not think.

It helps if you don't think or if you must think, repeat I think I can I think I can...or think yourself a song, that always helps me to relax, until the song gets stuck in my head of course.

Just think of it this way though if you pass you won't have to learn how to drive your car which was something I had to do...took the test on an automatic but my car is a standard..and of course the second day of driving by myself it snowed...gotta love Calgary in the spring.

But I know you can do it you just have to have faith in yourself, and once you pass just think about all you can do with and without the dogs.

slleipnir
06-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Rachel: I don't think anyone was more nervous them me. Just try not to think your in a test and just relax, you'll do fine. I was so worried about failing too..I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck!

CountryWolf07
06-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Wow.. hmm I'll try not to be nervous.. lol, I'll try.. it's hard not to be! :) All I got to do is to think positive and think I can do it, then ta-da, it's over. - Rachel

Nomilynn
06-15-2002, 01:28 AM
I went for mine on April Fools Day! :eek: I was sure it was a terrible omen. But the tester was such a nice guy. After I parallel parked (and hit the curb) I drove away with the emergency break on, and he kinda coughed and pointed and pretened he hadn't seen! :D I pulled over and fixed it and we were on our way again! I don't know how getting a liscence in the US works, but here you get points when you do somehting bad - called demerits. he didn't even count mine - he just wrote "pass" on the bottom of the form and told me to have a nice day! It was great!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Cincy'sMom
06-15-2002, 07:35 AM
I actually failed my driving test the first time...way back 10 years ago! At that time ( i don't know if it was true or not) but Findlay had a horrible reputation for failing everyone their first time...so much people would drive 1/2 or more away to take their test and avoid the Findlay post. I didn't. The first time I took it, I had this older guy, who was rather large and indimidating. At one stop sign, I was told to turn left, and I did. Only the instuctor thought he said right. So I was failed immediatly for inability to follow directions. I was sooo mad!!! But, I went back tried a week later and passed no problem.

Good Luck on your test!!!

CountryWolf07
06-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Yikes.. Findlay has a bad reputation? Hmmm.. well, thank goodness I'm not taking it there, lol. I'm taking it in a countryside.. in Medina. I think it'll be easier than other cars around, etc. I shouldn't have any "big" pressures on me when there's noisy things.. I like it quiet when I need to fcous! Aww... my test has been changed to Wedneday, at 9:30AM! OK, that is morning, and I am not a morning person..I have more time to practice now.. :) Thanks everyone for support, etc! I'm still nervous though.. I know everyone is on their first time to take the test. - Rachel

slleipnir
06-16-2002, 09:34 AM
GL, you'll do great :D I felt super nervous too, I don't think theres anything you can do about it :confused: hehe, how long are your tests? Mine was an hr I think..with parking.

CountryWolf07
06-16-2002, 11:26 AM
I think.. it's about 15-20 minutes.. or 1/2 hour.. not sure..it's not supposed to take a long time. - Rachel

wolf_Q
06-16-2002, 11:34 PM
You'll do great Rach! Don't worry. Ok well I have to admit I was very worried when I did it. I took drivers ed in school. The teacher for that was a nice guy...we mostly just watched movies, a tad boring. Now the guy that was there for most of the range practices...that's a different story. I have to admit, I liked him as a history teacher, he's really funny. But he yells a lot, and is very rude (even if he's kidding). An intimidating person. I was *hoping* that I didn't get him for the actual driving test. Luckily I didn't. The teacher I had was Coach Biggs. He was a pretty nice guy, but he made me nervous. The first time I did the driving when I stopped the car I turned the key the wrong way LOL. Anyhoo, the actual test wasn't *quite* as bad as I though.......I think I got around 96 on it.