PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the New Dogbed! pg. 2

cyber-sibes
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I want to get a nice bed for Star & Sherman. (I guess one couch isn't enough :rolleyes: ) I've been online and there are soooo many to choose from, I don't know what to get. Donuts? Rectangles? Ovals? "Dutchie" beds?
I'd love an orthopedic foam one, but it's like $250 - way over my budget! Which kind works best, and do you know a place with good deals?

caseysmom
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Casey loves her oval shaped bed, I think she feels all cozy and tucked in...we got two of them at costco, they were not very much...they are just perfect for her size at 40 lbs.

borzoimom
12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
How does your dog sleep? If you dog sleeps curled up then a oval one- if flat on their side- a rectangle. As far as orthopedic, what I did was get a foam roll used in mattress's ( walmart- 20 bucks), opened the zipper to the bed, folded it, and put it in. It also works as a replacement idea for a comfy bed, but the foam is shot.

wolf_Q
12-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Do you have a Costco membership? They have pretty nice dog beds there (one of Nebo's is a costco bed) and there only around $20-$25. I've seen flat foam ones and they have also had round ones. Nebo has a few different beds and the one he likes the best is from Petco. It has a foam shape, I'm not sure how to really describe it....pics will work better.
Petco bed (I got it on clearance for around $20...I think it was normally $50-$60)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/Oct%202006/nebsydbed03.jpg
Costco bed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/boys01.jpg

caseysmom
12-01-2006, 04:14 PM
This one from costco looks pretty nice

the link isn't coming out right I will try to get a picture

animal_rescue
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I have 2 beds from Wal-Mart($25 each).. Maggie absolutely loves them and so do the other dogs too. I also bought Roxie a small oval shaped bed(about $11) and she's scared to sleep in it. :rolleyes: Our foster, Emmy, however puts it to good use!

Maggie's bed.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p123b8dc1a25bf1da6207e9057db3cad3/ee447578.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pb0598865354eb0ce234d53fb2b0b26d3/ee44745f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p6e0fcb9ca68ef8386a09990ff511852c/ee44741d.jpg

cyber-sibes
12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow, you've gotten some really good deals on beds! since mine sleep both stretched out and curled up, I guess they'll make due on whatever they get. i will definitly have to check them out at the local stores. They all seem to be $60 & up on the internet. I do want something washable. That bed with sides looks pretty cozy for Nebo & Syd (such a cute pic)- Do dogs like the sides up around them?

borzoimom
12-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I am attaching a link. I like this idea. Mine do not curl up, but they flop over spread eagle alot. If the dog curled up the ones with the sides would be great too as they would just take a corner. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 0103&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025624&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1165024094616&itemNo=1&In=Dog&N=2025624&Ne=2

GreyhoundGirl
12-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Jenny's is similar to Maggie's. A big, fluffy bed from wal mart. Very cheap, and has lasted quite well. Every 1/2 year or so I buy another pillow to stuff in it. They tend to flatten out a bit.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/greyhoundgirl_2006/impretty.jpg

LOL, she likes 'em big. It makes her look so small. :p

borzoimom
12-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Greyhoundgirl- what type of pillow- stiff or fluffy?

GreyhoundGirl
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Fluffy. Very squishy. (It actually have the original pillow, plus three more pillows that I added because it flattened out )

borzoimom
12-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Thank you- I will add that. My other original stuffing is weak but the beds are fine.. I would bet a contintal king pillow would work great..

Pembroke_Corgi
12-01-2006, 08:14 PM
A few years ago I bought two round beds at K-mart for only $15 each. I still have them- they are really durable, plus you can take out the inside and wash the outer part. The dogs (and cats) just love them and they've lasted a long time.

I also have a large "woolrich" brand bed from Target (they are around $40 for the extra large size) that Adele really likes. She always "fluffs" her beds and ends up ripping up cheaper beds, but I've had this one for a year and it's still in pretty good shape.

ETA: I just realized the Woolrich bed is in my signature. Seine is laying on her back on it. :p

Taz_Zoee
12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Hello Everyone,
We are newbies to the site, but love it so far.
We bought Zoee's bed at Costco for around $20. It is a great bed because she can fluff it up all by herself before she lays on it. We got the bed about the same time we got Zoee which was a little over a year and a half ago. It has held up pretty well, despite her chewing on the edge just a little. It has kept it's fluffiness and thickness for this long. But that could be due to the fact that she has a chair and part of the couch to lay on as well.

cyber-sibes
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Welcome Taz_Zoee! PT is a great place - full of really nice people. I'm asking a lot of questions because I've never bought a bed - my dogs live in a huge kennel outside, they've always slept on straw. But I'm letting them into my workspace a lot these days, and Star is a senior now. I want something a little easier on her joints than a blanket on the floor.

I like those beds with the lambswool tops, they look very comfy. The bolsters look like they might be nice for leaning on. I really am surprised at what good prices people have gotten on their beds - I need to look around a little more!
LOL! Jenny looks very comfortable lounging on her BIG pillow!
Thanks for your input everyone.

Jakesmom
12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
My Jake (golden retriever) does not really care for beds--I've bought all types, cheap, expensive, orthopedic, etc, and he prefers the leather couch or the tile floor (he has alot of fur and I think he gets hot). I've more or less given up on finding a "bed" that he will love.

Sophie, the English Cocker, on the other hand, is a girly girl who prefers her comfort (preferably high thread count and down...). Her "favorite" bed (other than mine) is an oval that has a sheepskin (fake) type interior with high sides. The insert is foam that is sort of like an egg crate mattress. Its from DrFosterSmith, you can get it with the name embroidered on it, and it comes in different sizes. Its washable as well and has held up pretty well, considering that she sort of "fluffs" is when she settles in. I got her a different fancy bed that looks nice but is not as squishy, she doesn't really like it.

I think you need to decide if your dog would like the cradling effect of the beds with sides, or just a padded place to spread out.

Jakesmom.

Twisterdog
12-02-2006, 12:02 AM
My dogs disembowel the beds with a foam core. It's just tooooo much temptation. I come home to tiny pieces of foam all over the house.

I have to buy the ones that zip up completely, and replace the filling that is in them with blankets or pillows.

Hello, my name is Vanilla and I'm addicted to foam .....

bckrazy
12-02-2006, 06:21 AM
I think, for Huskies who usually do the curled up position, oval beds with the sides are perfect. Fozzie does the Husky curl, with his nose under his tail, and his favorite is the oval bed with the sides. The top is lambswool, the bottom is plaid print.

Cincy'sMom
12-02-2006, 07:30 AM
My dogs are somewhat spoiled...for the three dogs, there are 5 beds onthe floor next to our bed. They each have their own, nest bed (one like Amy posted), and then there are two of the flat rectangular beds. They use them all!

Rachel
12-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Drs. Foster and Smith has a nice orthopedic bed on sale. Check this one out.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11920&N=2001+113681

GreyhoundGirl
12-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Will that one be big enough? (lol, I'm one to talk, eh?) It says it's designed for toy breeds. And there is only one choice of sizes.

Rachel
12-03-2006, 08:20 AM
There is a 42" x 26" size (item number 9N-18528)
which sounded big to me, but then I'm not aware just how big Cyber's dogs are.

It's just item number 9N-18525 which is designed for toy breeds. Still definitely not a stretch out type bed. Point being that you can find some good sales at this site at times.

cyber-sibes
12-03-2006, 08:54 AM
After reading your responses, I decided not to spend a lot until I saw if they even liked a bed. I checked at the Pet Supplies Plus, they were on sale for $40-60. Then the owner told me he put out a whole box of beds that just went on sale for $25! I brought one home. It's fleecy on one side, 29" x 40".

At first Star bit the corners to find the squeaker (wow mom, a giant squeaky toy!). Sherman dove in and buried his face in it, rolled over for a belly rub. Then Star laid on the floor, but put her toys on top of it & played with them. Later, she climbed on behind them:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/cyber-sibes/newbedforstar.jpg
When they both went outside to potty, Sherman dashed back in first, the little sneak! "I"ll pretend I'm sleeping - don't bug me!"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/cyber-sibes/newbedsherm2.jpg

So the bed looks like a hit so far. I think eventually, a firmer bed would be nice, but this is a good start.
I'm going to bookmark that Drs. Foster & Smith site - I was surprised how low the prices were. They have really nice outdoor beds too. I may need a couple of those when we move. Thanks again!

anna_66
12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey, that's a pretty nice bed you got them...good price too. Looks like they're both loving it:D

I'm like you Pat, both Bon and Roxey need a new bed...but gosh they are soooo expensive!

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Looks like they are enjoyign their new bed!! What fun :)

I keep an eye out when I go to Pet Supplies Plus...every now in there they put beds on sale. A few weeks ago I a $56 Nest bed 1/2 price!

borzoimom
12-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Awww!!! That looks like a real hit! ( shhh- they are sleeping... shhh... lol)

shais_mom
12-03-2006, 11:12 PM
looks like a hit!
I was going to suggest Big Lots - that's where I usually get my dog beds. altho Keeg doesn't lay on them!