PDA

View Full Version : First week at the new place coming to a close....

ramanth
06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
I was pulling into the apartment parking lot when I got a bit of a jolt. A police cruiser and Animal Control vehicle parked in front of my building.

My heart skipped several beats let me tell you. But no one approached me when I got out of my car and Kia was happy as always to see me when I walked in the door. :)

By the time I had changed and got Kia ready for her walk, Animal Control was gone. Not sure why they were here.

During Kia's walk, she made both an enemy and a friend. There is a family with 6 kids which I'm not sure what apartment they live in since they come flying out of two or three different doors with friends. Well, I was walking back to my side of the creek across the bridge when the boys going flying by on their bikes, the girls on foot after them. Then a young black lab comes running across the parking lot and stops when he see's me and Kia. Kia is friendly as always and the two start to sniff. He's a male and definately endowed. I shout to the kids if the dog is theirs and one of the girls come back and takes the lab by the collar.

She's like, "Yeah." The boys are yelling at the girl that ran out last that she was supposed to shut the door, which she of course didn't.

At this time I notice the black labs hackles have gone up and so I start to back Kia up, just as the dog snaps, lunges, and starts growling and barking. Kia freaks out.

The girls pulling the lab back and looks at me and says, "Can you move your dog so I can take Magnum inside?"

:rolleyes:

I was thinking... "Excuse me?" I've already got Kia a good 5 feet away from the dog and I'm not blocking her path back to the apartment.

I turn without saying a word and walk Kia towards the creek. Just then a woman walked up walking a gorgeous Chow/lab mix. He's black and extremely furry. She says that he likes dogs and especially girls. His name is Ace. Kia and Ace are licking and sniffing. The woman asked if I had just moved in and I told her yes. She has lived there at the apartments since 1999 and really loves it there. :)

And I found that they have a small fenced in area where you can let your dogs run. It's not huge, but it's supposedly the designated potty area and it has a tiny dumpster for your bags of poo. :D But as long as you clean up after your dog, they can go anywhere.

Last night, something really bothered Kia. I couldn't see what it was, but she was sitting at the window giving her low 'woof' before she gave a sharp bark. I quickly hushed her as it was 10:30 at night.

I went to the window and didn't see anything but praised her for being such a good watch dog. :)

My first exciting day at the new place. :D

lizbud
06-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Sounds like everything's going pretty good at the new
place. :) It's almost like starting over at a new school
or something, kind of exciting, but also can be a bit scarey
till the "newness" wears off. I think Kia & you would have
been ok with the lab if the kids had not started yelling at
each other. Glad you've met another friendly dog owner
at the new place. That always helps.Best of luck to you
& Kia as you start to settle in.:D Pictures would be nice.:D

CountryWolf07
06-14-2002, 11:09 AM
That's wonderful to hear! :) Glad you and Kia are adjusting well in the new place! When I read "animal controller" I got a little nervous about what I was going to read after that, lol, but it wasn't anything.. so whew! - Rachel