PDA

View Full Version : How did you meet your SO?

binka_nugget
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I know we had a similar thread before.. but I've always enjoyed hearing how others met their significant others..

So how did you meet your significant other? :)

critter crazy
12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I met my hubby while we were both in the Military! We have been together for over 9yrs now! WOW! does time fly when you are having fun!:D

kimboe
12-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I met my man at the most common place the dance floor. He asked me to dance with him and have been with him since then. It's been 4 years :)

cyber-sibes
12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Met him at a New Years Eve party at my friend's house. LOL! I didn't like him, but he grew on me (obviously!) That was 14 years ago.

Russian Blue
12-01-2006, 02:27 PM
You know when you're not looking, you meet someone? That's how I met Rob. ;)

I just came back from a month long trip to Europe. I was having coffee with another friend, Alex, who was setting Rob up on a blind date. Alex really wanted to tag along to see how the date would go so he asked me if I would go with him so he wouldn't feel like a third wheel.

We show up at Rob's door and find out the girl backed out the last minute. All three of us went out for dinner instead. During dinner, I mentioned I was looking for a place to live and the three of us decided to rent a house together and the rest is history.

As soon as I saw Rob I totally knew he was the one for me. Am I glad the date didn't show up! :D Yesterday, we celebrated our 11th anniversary together.

elizabethann
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
You know when you're not looking, you meet someone? That's how I met Rob. ;)

I just came back from a month long trip to Europe. I was having coffee with another friend, Alex, who was setting Rob up on a blind date. Alex really wanted to tag along to see how the date would go so he asked me if I would go with him so he wouldn't feel like a third wheel.

We show up at Rob's door and find out the girl backed out the last minute. All three of us went out for dinner instead. During dinner, I mentioned I was looking for a place to live and the three of us decided to rent a house together and the rest is history.

As soon as I saw Rob I totally knew he was the one for me. Am I glad the date didn't show up! :D Yesterday, we celebrated our 11th anniversary together.

What a romantic story - kind of like a movie Meg Ryan would star in - seriously. :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Robins Donuts -- LOL! :o

Vela
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Met him at a party 17 years ago....a party my friend had to DRAG me out of bed and make me go to.

chocolatepuppy
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
We met in school. Married 30 years last March. :D

kittycats_delight
12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I never do anything normally or traditionally so Guess where I met my husband !!!!

Come on Guess

No one????

Where else....I met him on ICQ. We chatted for a year. I came to Italy to meet him and we got married 2 years ago. We have been together since 2001.

neko1
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok, everyone's gonna think I'm crazy, but I met my SO on myspace!

We've been together almost a year now :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Justin and I were friends in high school, we hung out all the time. We started to date and then after high school we got married. I met Justin 9 years ago, we've been married for 6 years.

kimlovescats
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I met my hubby on a church bowling league! :D

M&M's Mommy
12-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I met my husband at Church. I believe God had something to do with it :) :D He was there from the very first moment, and He remains a very important part of our relationship. We'll be celebrating our 5th anniversary at the end of this month!

Oggyflute
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I had a Liqour store at the time. This lady kept on coming in and buying champagne. We would always chat, and got along well. I finally summoned up the courage to ask her out. We've been together for nine years now. :)
Carole told me later, that she was almost drowning in champagne, waiting for me to ask her out! :D

davidpizzica
12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Youre not going to believe this, but I met my SO on PT!!! I first met Donna (moosmom) through replying to each other's threads, then we started PMing each other like crazy, then gab on the phone. I love her very much and would do anything for her and vice versa. When we get our finances together we DO plan on meeting face to face! Donna is such a beautiful person.

molucass
12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, it was actually a set-up by someone I knew personally in RL, but we met on the internet. At the time that we "met" online, I didn't know that the person I knew set it up.

It will be 2 years in February.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-01-2006, 07:56 PM
We met in college, where we both worked at the University of Iowa Library. We've been together for 4 1/2 years and we've been married for 1 1/2.

K9karen
12-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I met John at a bus stop...ironically, that's how my parents met!!!! Going on 5. years

Pembroke_Corgi
12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I met John at a bus stop...ironically, that's how my parents met!!!! Going on 5. years
That makes me think of the old Hollies song. Did you often ride the same route together, or did you only meet there once?

Logan
12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
We met in church. We were in the same Sunday School class. :)

K9karen
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Gawd Jill..now I'm singing.."Bus Stop.." and I guarantee that'll be in my head all night!! :D

John also took our suburban train system to downtown Phila (he took different train from another part of the city). Across the street from the station, about 4 different busses stop, so he was already waiting for the bus as I crossed the street.So we'd get on the same bus, didn't talk for a while, and I got off earlier.

Even weirder..from across the street he looked exactly like my good friend's SO. My first thought was "why is Rich in the city waiting for a bus?) Anyway, now that we all hang out, they can almost pass for brothers. It's really freaky.

John hadn't dated for years since his divorce, so it took him months to finally even verbally say hello rather than smile and nod his head. I wasn't at all interested. After our first lunch, I thought, Yuk..way too smart for me (over my head), kind of strange, but I gave him another chance because I sure wouldn't someone thinking negative about me and not giving ME a 2nd chance.

The rest, as they say, is history. Total opposites in many ways but we both like challenge..and believe me......

I guess this was TMI huh????

binka_nugget
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I loved reading all these stories! :D

I met my SO online.. on plentyoffish.com :o I thought I'd join for fun.. wasn't really expecting anything. Then I got the 103482734 msg from some random stranger and felt the urge to reply back instead of the usual block and delete. We met a little over a year ago. :)

Twisterdog
12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
My husband and I actually went to high school together, decades ago. We really didn't know each other then, as he was a couple of years older.

We were re-introduced by a mutual friend one evening, and started talking. He said, "OH! I remember you now. You drove that blue Camaro, right?"\

Leave it to a "car-guy" to remember not me, but the car I drove, twenty years ago in high school. :rolleyes: :)

Twisterdog
12-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Youre not going to believe this, but I met my SO on PT!!! I first met Donna (moosmom) through replying to each other's threads, then we started PMing each other like crazy, then gab on the phone. I love her very much and would do anything for her and vice versa. When we get our finances together we DO plan on meeting face to face! Donna is such a beautiful person.

Aaaaaaahhhhh. That's so sweet! :D

Sophist
12-02-2006, 01:48 AM
When I was a teenager there was this young adult church group my mom and sisters really wanted me to join. They kept signing me up for the email list, but I kept deleting them unread. One day, frustrated, I opened one to ask to be taken off the list for the hundredth time. The response back was surprisingly funny, friendly, and witty (a new writer had taken over the emails). We kept removing my name, but my family kept adding it back on, which always led to another friendly, joking exchange.

Eventually I just left myself on the email list because he was funny, and I was enjoying making small talk with him, but never in a million years would I ever imagine having feelings for someone I'd met over the internet. That seemed too pathetic and dorky to bear, even though we found out we had numerous mutual RL friends and acquaintences.

One day, I realized we'd both ended up at one of these mutual friend's gatherings at the same time for a change, and so I decided to introduce myself. Since most the people on the list complained about his sense of humor, we always joked that I was his only fan. So, once he was pointed out to me (we had never exchanged pictures), I walked over and handed him a paper and pen and asked for his autograph. Confused, he asked why, and I told him "Because I am your biggest and only fan!" He just smiled his super-dorky smile and said "I was hoping that that was who you were".

In no time at all, we were best friends... and after a lot of romantic cliches and misadventures, we are now getting married in february almost seven years later.

Cincy'sMom
12-02-2006, 08:14 AM
We met in college, my freshman (Ralph's sophmore) year. He was dating the girl that lived next door to me in the dorm's who had gone to high school with my roommate. We all hung out, and by the time they broke up, I was dating someone, but he was friends with my freinds and we all hung and eventually rented a house together. We didn't actually start dating until he was graduating and moving back to Toledo, and I had another year of school. (Live in the same town for 4 years and wait until you are 200 miles apart to date?!?)

Anyway, our 6th wedding anniversary was last weekend.

DJFyrewolf36
12-02-2006, 08:16 AM
K9karen, my husbands name is John too ;)

Our meeting was kind of a mutual "running into the right person at the right time" I was at Dennys at a Star Trek club meeting of all things (Yeah, I'm a nerd). John was there for a totally different reason. His ex-girlfriend took him there for a sympathy dinner because she was breaking up with him and kicking him out of her house (real nice huh). For some reason, we both kept looking at each other from across the resturant but we both were too shy to directly say anything. At the end of the club meeting, John managed to get the attention of one of my friends to ask for an introduction because he "Just HAD to talk to me" :D We ended up chatting for a while, mostly about computers lol. When I finally had to go home, his ex told him as I left "I think you just met your soulmate"
Well, he called me a couple days later to see if I wanted to interview for a job in the computer shop he was running at the time. The "interview" ended up in a several hour long conversation about our past relationships and how we had both kept ourselves in less than healthy relationships out of a feeling of obligation. We made plans to see each other outside of a working environment and the rest as they say is history :) We've been married for almost three years and together for over four.

sandragonfly
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I hope to meet my SO at this site! :D it'd be so much easier.. :rolleyes:

my ex-SO I at first thought he would be mine (for almost three years), we met in a car accident. :o

JenBKR
12-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Welllll.....I actually met my husband at Wal-Mart

The old Wal Mart in our town used to have car shows on Saturday nights in the parking lot, so some friends and I would go up there and walk around. My husband was there with some of his friends, and as it turned out, my friends knew his friends. We all hung out at car show for a couple of weeks together before Shawn got the nerve up to ask for my phone number....but of course he never called me. A couple of weeks later, our mutual friends decided to go to a drive in movie and both of us ended up going, and he asked me out there. I was starting to wonder if he was EVER going to ask me out! :p