PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot!!!!!!

Nomilynn
06-14-2002, 09:03 AM
I am hoping to get some advice from the good folks here.

The weather is really heating up around here. It got up to 30 degrees celcius/90 degress farenheit here yesterday! It was HOOOOOTTTTTT!!!!!! :eek: (That's VERY warm for west coast weather for those of you who are thinking I'm a wimp ;) ). I live in a two storey townhouse and I can leave all my windos open upstairs, but not down because it would be REALLY easy to break in. When I got home from school last night at 9:30pm it was really stuffy and gross in my house, even though I had a fan running. I know my sweeties are too hot. Bassett is spreading herself over as much floor as possible, and Tilly (who is mostly black) isn't as cuddly. They are eating/drinking/bathrooming normally. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help them stay cool? Offer a refuge of some sort? I put a bowl full of ice cubes and water down for them. I know cat's aren't supposed to like really cold water but Tilly often licks the outsides of frosty glasses.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions on how to beat the heat? Thanks!!!!!!! :cool:

lynnestankard
06-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Sorry Nomilynn - we don't get HOT weather here - when it occassionly reaches the high 70's - we all moan that its 'too hot'!!
But all my cats love ice cubes in their water when it is hot - we don't have a water fountain yet. I'm going to pick one up when I'm in the States in October!!! They are much cheaper over there!!!!
And they all enjoy being wiped down with a towel rung out in cold water.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lynne

06-14-2002, 10:09 AM
:cool: oh please Nomilynn , send me some of that heat you have there !!! Belgium is more a cold and wet country ; no need for airconditioning here !!!!!!
In 1984 , we were in Utah , USA ; it was 43° C !!! Well , THAT WAS HOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We almost melted away (I wish I had a bit , as I HAVE to loose weight ...) !!
I do not think you can do more for your cats than provide them with lots of cool water , and a shady place ... . You can always suggest them to take off their furr coats ............

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2002, 10:13 AM
Edwina seems to like a plastic -- grocery type plastic bag under the bed when it gets warm.....

Nomilynn
06-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am definately going to try the cold towel - I think if I put a plastic bag out for Tilly she would find a way to get in it, and that's too dangerous! :eek:

Thanks again! :D

Karen
06-14-2002, 02:03 PM
We freeze small plastic bottles of water, so when it gets really hot, I put one of those nice cold-giving bottles near where Miss Hoppy likes to sleep, and it seems to keep her cooler. Air conditioners apparently eat small bunnies, so in the rare event it's hot enough to turn ours on, she will NOT be in the room it's in, even though it is cooler.

Former User
06-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Karen, that's a brilliant idea, thanx! Going to use it on myself though, LOL! Casper and Kitty doen't seem to mind the warm, it's darn warm and humid here now and they just run around, CRAZY!:rolleyes:

yorkster
06-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Nomilyn, I don't live too far from you (Seattle area), and yes it was hot! Well, for us N. Westerners anyway :p
I was hearing reports of 90-96 depending on where you were. Our house was 93 degrees F.
Wylie likes to sleep on the glass coffee table when it's hot, and Kedi goes inside his plastic cat carrier :D
Ice-cubes always help too!

wayne0214
06-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Here in the central valley of Calif. we often have hot days of summer usually in August. I beleive it was in 1997, that there was about 10 days of 105 deg. F, plus. (43 deg. celcius), My all outdoor cats were draped over anything that was cool. It looked like a pool of melted kitties! With all of them panting to keep cool. As much as I have tried to have them lay on something wet and cool, they would not accept it, including a damp blanket. Apparently, they do not like to lay on something that is not dry. Concrete or tile flooring seems to be preferred over a wet blanket.

..........wayne

koxka
06-14-2002, 07:50 PM
Hay,Nomilynn it sounds fun,you have more hot weather than we have here:D
My grandmether during hot eather stayed windows,slatter shutter shut during sun's hours,to prevent the hot get inside,and reopenning them in the evening and all night to allow the fresh air get inside.. and it works....also to be in shady place give you a feeling of freshness,now I do in my house.

Also there's a gel (in a hermetic sealed container)that is used in cosmetic and medical care that frost quickly and you can put under the towel and the kitty can seet or sleep over it.You can reuses that stuff as many times as you want.Also in winter can be warm up in the microwave.It works both ways.And it's not expensive and last long.
Bay the way I got great time in Victoria and Vancouver Island:cool: :p and Rocky Mountains of course(Victoria and Banff are stillin my heart)

It's all I can offer to your furkids,

Koxkas's Human

Nomilynn
06-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much! This is all great advice. I had never thought of the frozen water bottles or the hot/cold packs - I have several of those laying around now since I just had my wisdom teeth pulled! :eek:

I would do the blind thing but I know my two beasts would ruin them, trying to see outside.. unfortunatley that isn't an option because I rent and they aren't my blinds!! *lol*! :p

But thank you all for the great advice. Luckily it was much cooler today.. in fact I think it will rain which will be a nice break and clear up the air.. but now I'm armed with all kinds of strategies for later on!! :D

Thanks!! :D :D

AmberLee
06-14-2002, 09:59 PM
My parents live about an hour or so north of Wayne and get the same hot summers. (I'm MUCH closer to the ocean and it's cooling breezes, so there is a 'culture gap/temperature gap' when we visit in the summer.) Mom sometimes puts pans of water with ice in it in front of the fan, and sometimes hangs a cold, wet towel in front of the window so it's cooler. On the hot days, I wear a cool damp cloth on my neck although that probably wouldn't be a popular option with your furkids. ;)

I'll be recuperating after surgery with my folks there, and must admit I'm dreading their heat!

Lando
06-14-2002, 11:35 PM
Use Wayne's adivice. He lives close to me and I have experienced a lot of heat.