PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

sumbirdy
11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
After cats eat, they always immediately bathe themselves. This is because their instinct tells them to get the food scent off of them so that predators will not smell the food and come after them." Source: WriteFunny.com - Animal Madness - Cat Trivia: www.writefunny.com/cat_trivia.html

"Unlike meowing or human speech, purring isn't the result of air passing over the vocal cords. It's a vibration of the larynx that resonates down to the windpipe and into the diaphragm." Source: ScienceNetlinks.com: www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.cfm?DocID=11

All calico cats are female. It's a genetic thing. For an explanation, see: http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=590

The catgut formerly used as strings in tennis rackets and musical instruments does not come from cats. Catgut actually comes from sheep, hogs, and horses. Source: Cat Facts: http://maxellah.tripod.com/catfacts.htm

A cat uses its whiskers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through. Their whiskers act as feelers or antennae, helping them to judge the width of a passage.

A cat's urine glows under a blacklight. (To see an explanation and a photo, see: www.odordestroyer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=hhbl)

A cat's ear has 30 muscles that control the outer ear (by comparison, human ears only have six muscles). These muscles rotate 180 degrees, so the cat can hear in all directions without moving its head. Source: WriteFunny.com - Animal Madness - Cat Trivia: www.writefunny.com/cat_trivia.html

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.

When a cat holds its tail high he is happy. When a cat twitches its tail, it's a warning sign.

Edward Lowe, Inventor of kitty litter - was born July 10, 1920 in St. Paul, Minnesota. He died on October 4, 1995. www.lowe.org

kimlovescats
11-30-2006, 02:29 PM
After cats eat, they always immediately bathe themselves. This is because their instinct tells them to get the food scent off of them so that predators will not smell the food and come after them." Source: WriteFunny.com - Animal Madness - Cat Trivia:

I thought my cats were just well-mannered! :D ;)

Lizzie
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
I thought calicos could be male but it's very rare?

sumbirdy
11-30-2006, 03:07 PM

I thought so too.

critter crazy
11-30-2006, 03:09 PM
This might sound stupid, but if Kitty Litter wasnt invented until 1920, what the heck did thhey use before then??? or were cats just outside all the time??:confused:

sumbirdy
11-30-2006, 03:13 PM
This might sound stupid, but if Kitty Litter wasnt invented until 1920, what the heck did thhey use before then??? or were cats just outside all the time??:confused:

Dirt? I sometimes use dirt if I run out of kitty litter and can't get any for a couple of days. But who knows.

Lizzie
11-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Probably sand or newspaper, but I don't know. My step-mother, who was born in the late 1920's still won't have a litter box in the house, considering it dirty. I expect most people let the cat out when it cried at the door.

catmandu
11-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Probably Cats went outside, did thier business and then came back into the house.
I cannot recall our family having a litter box in the fifties and sixties at all.
And if there was litter, it was a clay mix, not the clumping litters that we have today.

Zippy
11-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.

Really that is neat.I alwas thought that dogs had more vocal sounds then cats.All the other facts were neat too.Thanks for sharing.I also thought calico cats could be males but they were really rare and had medcial problems.

heidiv
11-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I thought my cats were just well-mannered! :D ;)

So I LOVE THIS RESPONCE! :D :D

My meezer Chloe cleans after my husband and I even pet her???? But she is silly ;)

kittycats_delight
11-30-2006, 09:11 PM

Actually that is true. Not all calicos are female. Rarely and I mean extremely rarely they can be male but when a calico is a male it is natually sterile. Only female calicos can reproduce.