PDA

View Full Version : A Nightmare Has Begun

K & L
11-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Believe it or not with all our cats, and all these years, we've never had an epidemic of URI until now. For some reason many of our cats are coming down with it. I'm pilling about 1/2 dozen right now and noticed a couple more starting. I'm afraid this is going to turn into a nightmare before it's over with.

On top of this I'm still pilling Kurby, who by the way, is getting better. And Bo is on her routine meds for her sinus problems.

This is one downfall with a multi-cat household. Any tips here to help me through this?

Catty1
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
All I can think of is a vaporizer with a good inhalent in it...it will cover a fair bit of area, and will hopefully help clear the air passages a bit.

Other than that, I don't have experience with multi-cat homes...but I am sure you will get some good tips.

HUGS and I hope all are well soon...

Lizzie
11-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I go into isolation mode fast when something like this hits, but I don't know if you have any spare space for this? Since you have so many that are sick now, can you isolate those that are symptom-free? When I have an isolation room, and that seems to be constantly these days, I hang an old bathrobe just inside the door and leave a pair of slip-on shoes there also. I put those on as I enter the room, leave them behind as I exit and wash my hands well. Anything that has to come out of the room, such as dirty dishes, go straight into dishwasher/garbage/washing machine/whatever. It's really hard work, but you already know that.

Apart from that I can only suggest coming on PetTalk to vent and pouring yourself a good shot of whisky each evening when the work is done (for now). I'm really sorry you are going through a miserable time at present. It will pass.

rg_girlca
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a tip Lisa. Pour yourself a good stiff drink. :D

Seriously, I am so sorry to hear that a lot of your cats are getting sick. Do you know who could have brought it into the house?
Hopefully you can nip it in the butt before they really get too sick with it.

I'm glad to hear that precious Kurby is getting better and that Bo has her much needed medication.

Prayers on the way that everyone has a full and speedy recovery.

((((((HUGS)))))) for you Lisa and your hubby for having to deal will so many sick cats.

Hang in there girl. You WILL get through this.

kitten645
11-29-2006, 09:12 PM
This is one downfall with a multi-cat household. Any tips here to help me through this?

Valium my dear..valium!! :p Not to make light but if all else fails at least a sense of humor will help a bit. Good luck and prayers it passes soon!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh no! Unfortunately I have no tips, but I'll definitely be sending good thoughts and prayers that it doesn't turn into a full blown epidemic!

kimlovescats
11-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Lisa, been there done that, several times! I remember the first time it happened, I had 17 sick at one time!!! Some of them were a small litter of kittens and I was terrified!!! Thankfully, they all came through it fine! Most do, it is rare for one not to, and that is usually a very tiny baby or very old and immune compromised senior kitty.

As far as knocking yourself out sterilizing, you can try but the germs flow through the air ducts. Just give your pills, watch for anyone who quits eating and drinking .... force tuna water if you have to ... and give it a week! Everyone will be fine ... except your nerves! ;)

PM me anytime you need reassurance!

Hugs,
Kim

DJFyrewolf36
11-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I wish I had some advice for you! I'll be praying for the speedy recovery for all.

krazyaboutkatz
11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( The only time I experienced this was when I only had 3 cats, Storm, Pepper, and Sunny. I took them all to my vet at the same time for some routine things and a few days later Storm became ill. Then both Pepper and Sunny became ill. I didn't have to take Sunny and Pepper in for an exam since they had the same thing. The problem was that Pepper weighed a lot more than either Storm or Sunny and he became sicker and sicker so please be sure that if you don't have to take them in for an exam that you get the right dosage of meds for them. Hopefully it won't spread to all of your cats. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

K & L
11-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks everyone! Valium and whiskey sounds like the best advice! :D

Secluding is next to impossible since we are up to about 30 cats now. I have a heater going in the garage area and are keeping the ones that are sneezing in this area. Unfortunatley there are those that want nothing to do with coming indoors so they will be at risk getting it. Plus these are the most feral ones so medicating and getting them to the vet will be a challenge.

We'll get over it, but I do not have any idea where they even contracted it. The newest bunch (Sable, Gable, and Garbo) were secluded for weeks and when exposed to the others had no signs of sickness. The only thing I can think of is it is airborn and we have those that come and go from the cat run/garage to the indoors. UGH...what fun.

jenluckenbach
11-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Lisa, just remember that the antibiotics you are giving DO NOT cure the (viral) URI nor do they lessen the symptoms, all they do is prevent a further bacterial infection from setting in while the cat is compromised. The reason I bring this up is so you do not feel guilty if you cannot give the medicine to any particular cat. Whether they get the pills or not, the URI MUST run its course.

As Kim says, just watch their eating/drinking. And remember that an adult (normally healthy) cat CAN go a few days without food.

Good luck, this too shall pass.

K & L
11-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Lisa, just remember that the antibiotics you are giving DO NOT cure the (viral) URI nor do they lessen the symptoms, all they do is prevent a further bacterial infection from setting in while the cat is compromised. The reason I bring this up is so you do not feel guilty if you cannot give the medicine to any particular cat. Whether they get the pills or not, the URI MUST run its course.

As Kim says, just watch their eating/drinking. And remember that an adult (normally healthy) cat CAN go a few days without food.

Good luck, this too shall pass.

Thanks Jen! Bentley seems better today, but poor Barney is having a tough time of it. I'll keep you all posted.

mruffruff
11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Boy, do I feel for you.

I had 12 of 14 go through URI a month ago. Most of mine are semi-feral so medicating was almost impossible. I got some Orbax from my vet and got half a tablet into the friendlier ones, but most went without. It took a couple of weeks but it finally went away.

I think the ouside cats actually have a better chance to avoid/get over it because they can breathe uncontaminated air. Those of mine that like to be in the cat run got better faster than the ones who stayed inside all day.

With 30 cats, you may have a longer period to live through. Not all cats will get it at the same time; kinda the domino effect.

A drink every night might help! :D Can't hurt.

catmandu
11-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I have a room that is set aside for Cats who need to be isolated, like Precious who has her Ouchy Ear.
We are adding Our Prayers to your Cats, and hope that All Are Well very soon.

Russian Blue
11-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Lisa. :( Sending many 'get well' vibes to your crew.

ramanth
11-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh my. :( Many healing vibes sent to your kitty crew. *hugs*

Catsnclay
11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Do you think it has any relation to the wierd weather we have been having lately?

Last week we broke a "high" record of 89 degrees, and today our "high" will only be 55! :eek: I think we skipped the 70 & 60 degree weather all together!!

I know everyone I've been talking to has the sniffles, bet the cats can catch it too!

I know this doesn't help you in any way, but just a thought.

kimlovescats
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Jen is right. The antibiotics do nothing for the virus itself. Also, they can go without eating a few days. The main thing is to look for signs of dehydration. ;)