PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Co-Worker Habits

Blue_Frog
11-29-2006, 03:53 PM
This is kind of a rant / vent, but I had to get it off my chest somewhere :p

I'm not sure how to address this with the guy who sits over the wall from me -- maybe you guys have some ideas.

I know it's cold and flu season, but that means if you get sick, bring a box of kleenexes in and deal. The guy over the wall has never heard of this invention, and spends the day making those 'gronk gronk grr-umph' noises of someone horking back on their own evil and swallowing it. You know the sound, and it COMPLETELY GROSSES ME OUT. I've had to start wearing headphones, because the noise of him doing that is making me nauseaous.

I don't know how to address this with him. I've thought about bringing in a box of kleenexes and leaving it on his desk, but i'm not sure that he'd get the idea. I know I'm getting frustrated (what with all the stress at work), because the last time he did it abot 5 mins ago, I almost shouted over the wall "GET A #*&^ KLEENEX AND STOP DOING THAT". I didn't, mostly because i don't want HR all over me.

Part of the problem too, is that he doesn't speak the best english and I dont want to offend him, plus it might be something cultural thats acceptable, and that he's always done. I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should start working from home more often.

wolflady
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Yuk, that grosses me out too. Perhaps you could ask your HR person. Sometimes they can be like an intermediary in situations that might be uncomfortable.

Or, perhaps if you see this person, you could casually say something like: "Sounds like you have a pretty nasty cold. I have found that the kleenexes with aloe in them are more soothing to my nose than others, and my nose doesn't get as red from blowing. Have you tried them?"

:p

**hugs**

IRescue452
11-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm just about throwing up thinking about that, I can't imagine hearing it. Headphones are a good idea.

Blue_Frog
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Yuk, that grosses me out too. Perhaps you could ask your HR person. Sometimes they can be like an intermediary in situations that might be uncomfortable.

Or, perhaps if you see this person, you could casually say something like: "Sounds like you have a pretty nasty cold. I have found that the kleenexes with aloe in them are more soothing to my nose than others, and my nose doesn't get as red from blowing. Have you tried them?"

:p

**hugs**

HR really doesn't work, since they're offsite and not very approchable, but I might try the kleenex idea if this keeps up. Thanks for the *hugs* - definately needed! :D

caseysmom
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Okay I have the same problem and have griped about it on here a few times! We did go to HR, they talked to him and he got better for a bit...then started up...

This happens with two people and they are both from another country. It is completely disgusting.

Vela
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I have that problem too, except they do it directly in my ear via headphones!!! I almost threw up once because a doctor snorted back someting horrid and the sound almost did me in, and I don't have the option of NOT listening to it. Some doctors are SO rude, some eat, fart, cough, blow their noses, etc right in our ears!!! They sometimes drift off and carry on conversations with other people like we aren't sitting there waiting to type the patient report. By the far the worst ever was the snot sucker though...I was gagging. I feel your pain! I don't know what you can do about it, but maybe the tissues would be a nice idea=x heh

Pembroke_Corgi
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Yuck, that sounds disgusting. I hate it when people come to work when they really should just stay home. Instead they come and make everyone miserable and potentially infect everyone else with their illness. Sorry you have to hear that all day long. :(

elizabethann
11-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm just about throwing up thinking about that, I can't imagine hearing it. Headphones are a good idea.

LOL.

How about leaving a box of tissues on his desk anonymously? Maybe he'll get the hint?

Catty1
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
This might help the understanding....

I worked in Japan a few times...and it is absolutely a NO NO to blow your nose in public. You go to the bathroom to do that. It's like deliberately throwing up in someone's living room.

So if these folks are from Asian countries, they feel they are being polite.

Don't know how to handle that...maybe pass out the Halls?

cyber-sibes
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Gads, I want to barf just reading this! I sure am glad I work from home!

Luvin Labs
11-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Ugh, another one here gagging just imagining it.

I like the idea of an anonymous Kleenex box drop with a note for him to get better.

Since HR is offsite, why not ask his higher up if you don't want to confront him/dunno how to confront him?

pitc9
11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Add me to the list of people gagging while reading this.....
ugh!
I think you should throw up on him, maybe then he'll get the point! LOL!! :D

emily_the_spoiled
11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
The Kleenex doesn't have to be anonymous. Try doing a "gopher imitation" (and putting your head above the cubicle wall) and saying something like ... "I have some kleenex if you need to use it..."

Pawsitive Thinking
11-30-2006, 09:47 AM
I think I would just yell "for crying out loud will you stop doing that and blow your nose!"

the subtle approach :D

critter crazy
11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I guess I have always just been rude, and speak my mind!! but I would ust tell him that it bothers you!! I had a guy where i worked that smelled realy bad, i got fed up one day, and just point blank asked if he bathed!! needess to say, he came in smelling much better after that! It might seem rude, but some people just plain need to wake up!! sometimes they dont even realize that they are disturbing anyone, since they do it all the time. The guy i asked if he bathed at work, told me he had no idea he smelled an he only took a shower once a week to conserve water. He never thought that he smelled. He thanked me for pointing it out! It is just like telling someone their fly is open! wouldnt you want to know????JMHO

cyber-sibes
11-30-2006, 10:02 AM
The Kleenex doesn't have to be anonymous. Try doing a "gopher imitation" (and putting your head above the cubicle wall) and saying something like ... "I have some kleenex if you need to use it..."I think I'd add: "STOP swallowing that stuff - that's gross! It'll make you sicker!" and use a very "annoyed mom" voice!

Blue_Frog
11-30-2006, 10:09 AM
This might help the understanding....

I worked in Japan a few times...and it is absolutely a NO NO to blow your nose in public. You go to the bathroom to do that. It's like deliberately throwing up in someone's living room.

So if these folks are from Asian countries, they feel they are being polite.

Don't know how to handle that...maybe pass out the Halls?
Ya, I think the guy is Korean or something (which is why I thought it might be something cultural, and didn't want to offend him). I'm probabally going to try the 'mysterious' kleenex drop and see if that works.

Until then, its headphones for me :)

RedHedd
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I think I would just yell "for crying out loud will you stop doing that and blow your nose!"

LOL! I would probably do the same!

Russian Blue
11-30-2006, 02:03 PM

:D

I would follow that by throwing tissues over the wall & let them float down to his desk. I think he'll understand. ;)