PDA

View Full Version : How lazy have we become

sparks19
11-29-2006, 08:19 AM
WOW It is just starting to sink in with me how lazy we have become in this world.

I saw a commercial for "pre bunned hotdogs" We can't even put them on the bun ourselves anymore? LOL does it really save that many precious seconds to have them come already on the bun lol.

Pre lit christmas trees. what fun is that. if you dont' want to decorate it then don't get a tree. thats half the fun.... decorating it yourself. It's not like the lights are difficult to put on the tree.

Everyday I just see some silly corner that has been cut and think.... why?

Can't we do anything for ourselves anymore?

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

caseysmom
11-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I think we have become too busy! Always busy...I like the pre-lit trees but think a lot of the food products are way over the top.

Vela
11-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Well some things are rediculous, but I like the prelit trees. I work two jobs, have three kids, a household, and a pets, and my husband has a progressive condition which makes it impossible for him to help me so I LOVE my prelit tree. I don't think it's lazy to get prelit trees, but I do agree that a whole lot of other things nowdays lare geared toward "easy", even my space heater has a remote control.

I really don't like convenience foods, I think they are terribly bad for you most of the time and prefer to cook things myself. I agree that some things are just silly, things like hot dogs already in buns, LOL. On the whole we have all been able to become "lazier" because of conveniences, but I have to admit SOME of them I really like hehe. I also think a lot of it has to do with how busy we all are with our lives nowdays, that plays a big part in why some of the conveniences are pretty nice.

Edwina's Secretary
11-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree "pre-bunned" hot dogs sounds awful but it does solve one problem....the uneven number of hot dogs in a package to the number of buns in a package....... :D :D

cyber-sibes
11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree "pre-bunned" hot dogs sounds awful but it does solve one problem....the uneven number of hot dogs in a package to the number of buns in a package....... :D :D :D Good one! I don't mind the pre-lit trees - I just leave the lights on mine and voila- my own pre-lit tree! I think the foods reflect lifestyle trend - kids left to fend for themselves while parents work, single adults, no sit-down meals anymore in many homes. There are a lot of people who just never learned to cook, too. So I don't know if it's laziness, or just the way our society has changed.
however, do we really need so many gagets to do things for us? I'm amazed by the robot vacuums, and how many remote-control devices there are.

elizabethann
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Pre-bunned hot dogs!? How un-American!! :eek:

Randi
11-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't even know what you mean by a pre lit tree. Do you mean, you go out and buy a tree with lights already in and lit? That doesn't sound very charming.

In Denmark, most people (the ones who have a car, that is!) goes to a wood and pick the tree they like, and pay for it. Others go and buy the tree outside a supermarket. There are aall sizes and shapes. What I like about this, is the smell - it's simply wonderful! Then people decorate it and put lots of little candles on, some do this on a specific day in december (it varies), and some wait until Christmas Eve to lit it.

My friends have this tradition: On the darkest day of the year, 21st I think, they lit the tree for the first time and start digging into the goodies they made beforehand and have a real cosy evening. :)

To get back to the subject, I like to make my own food, but I do buy precooked food sometimes - if I'm busy or tired, but normally, I cook big portions and freeze it for such days.

I do agree that we've all become too lazy to do a lot of things ourselves, but I understand why some people are. However, many of us should sit down and think about our priorities.

Sevaede
11-29-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't even know what you mean by a pre lit tree. Do you mean, you go out and buy a tree with lights already in and lit? That doesn't sound very charming.

In Denmark, most people (the ones who have a car, that is!) goes to a wood and pick the tree they like, and pay for it. Others go and buy the tree outside a supermarket. There are aall sizes and shapes. What I like about this, is the smell - it's simply wonderful! Then people decorate it and put lots of little candles on, some do this on a specific day in december (it varies), and some wait until Christmas Eve to lit it.

My friends have this tradition: On the darkest day of the year, 21st I think, they lit the tree for the first time and start digging into the goodies they made beforehand and have a real cosy evening. :)

To get back to the subject, I like to make my own food, but I do buy precooked food sometimes - if I'm busy or tired, but normally, I cook big portions and freeze it for such days.

I do agree that we've all become too lazy to do a lot of things ourselves, but I understand why some people are. However, many of us should sit down and think about our priorities.

Ahhh! Yeah, I always remember buying a tree out front of Fred Meyers or something.

I had a friend who lived in Denmark (for school) for a while. I am gonna ask her how it was! :D

GreyhoundGirl
11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Pre-bunned hotdogs! Way over the top. People are busy, so lots of people think convienient things are very handy, but pre-bunned hotdogs? lol, I mean, things that take 10 seconds I would never bother with, but lots of people go for the big time-savers.

:D The picture in my mind of pre-bunned hotdogs is still making me laugh. I guess I'll have to thank you for the good laugh ! :)

Husky15
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Ha! Pre-bunned? Sounds a little gross to me, actually. I mean, I think that buying nice, fresh buns and doing it myself sounds a lot better than buns that have been sitting on the hot-dog for I don't know how long!

Sure, people are busy, but I think that they can take ten seconds out of their dinner time to place a hot-dog in a bun. :p

Vela
11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
If you don't have time to put a hotdog on a bun, you don't have time to eat anything LOL. Also, you have to microwave them....how can the bread and hotdog be done at the same time without the bread turning hard ??? Ewwwww

Dorothy39
11-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Really, I'm about gagging just thinking of how they look , packaged up in a store!!!

I can almost hear my Mom saying, "If you kids don't behave, you'll get Pre-bunned Hot dogs for supper!!" :eek:

sparks19
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Are we really more busy these days than our parents were or our parents parents? I think that we just think we are busier because now we are living it.

LOL Edwinas secretary LOL that is a good point and I never thought about that. HMMMMM I wonder if the bun industry is going to put a hit out on Oscar Mayer for the sudden drop in bun sales LOL :D

lizbud
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I've seen the commercials for pre-warmed hot dogs, and the thought
of it is gross.It can never be the same in taste.

Advertizers were quick to pick up on selling "time" as another value, like
taste or cost.

caseysmom
11-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I think the difference is that both parents are working now, that is why us ladies are looking for shortcuts...at least I am sure busy raising 2 teens and working full time.

Edwina's Secretary
11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
. Also, you have to microwave them....how can the bread and hotdog be done at the same time without the bread turning hard ??? Ewwwww

Better (and faster) living through modern chemistry..... :D :p :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah the hot dogs do sound pretty gross.

My dad is someone (actually the only person I know) who buys the most ridiculous gadgets out of catalogs and off infomercials for the novelty of it. I get to see lots of these creations. Most of them are completely useless for what they were designed for- buyer beware of anything that promises such convenience! ;) :p

Husky15
11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
If you don't have time to put a hotdog on a bun, you don't have time to eat anything LOL. Also, you have to microwave them....how can the bread and hotdog be done at the same time without the bread turning hard ??? Ewwwww

Haha, exactly! If someone does not have time to put a hot-dog in a bun, then they don't have time to eat! And all I can picture after microwaving them is slightly soggy bread from all the steam. -Gag-

areias
11-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Have you ever seen the toaster that does hot dogs and the buns at the same time? Let's see..here it is...
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/74/73728/hotdiggitydoggerwithfood.jpg

Kinda neat, but..why don't you just cook it yourself? :confused: I think those are for people with too much money.

And then the automatic soap dispenser...
http://www.cgets.com/ccp51/media/images/product_detail/sd01c_large.jpg
I can push the soap dispenser thing myself, thank you! I can see this for elderly and handicapped people, though.

And this is a bug vacuumer.
http://www.cgets.com/ccp51/media/images/product_detail/bv02_large.jpg

...come on, why do you need a tool that kills bugs? That's hubby's job! :p

Twisterdog
11-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Personally, I think a pre-lit Christmas tree is one of the best things I've ever spent my money on. I LOVE that tree. The lights are far, far more evenly spaced than I ever have the patience to do. It looks so much better.

As far as us being lazier now, I don't think that's necesarily true all the time.

We used to be a agricultural society. Dad worked the family farm, and mom raised the kids, cooked, etc. Neither parent worked outside the home. There was practically NO spending money, or cash or any kind, but there was a lot of time. Time to make homemade bread, plant a garden, etc. Those kind of time consuming chores WERE the woman's job, all day long.

Then came the industrial revolution, and dad went to work in a factory. He now had much less time at home, but mom still stayed home and worked in the house. They had a little more spending money, but not much, and mom still had a lot of time. So they might buy a gas oven instead of a coal stove, and a vacuum cleaner instead of a rug beater ... but there was probably still homemade bread.

Fast forward to now ... both parents work full-time outside the home. There is a LOT of disposable income, relative to any time before this. But there is practically no time. So, because mom now works away from home, her income basically pays someone else to bake the bread ... and bun the hotdogs, I suppose. ;)

I was reading about this somewhere, and it was noted that even the expressions used relative to time have changed. It used to be said that one was "killing time" ... now it said that we are "spending time." Time has become the new scarce commodity, in lieu of money. Interesting.

WolvesRawk
11-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I saw those hot dogs in teh store the other day. It was like, 4 dollars for three prebunned hot dogs. Although I like the prelight trees. Mine is pre light since its a 13 ft tall artificial one. Its saves alot of time, but it also takes about 5 hours to decorate as it is with all of the ornements we have. And the soap dispensers are fun! In the hospital my dad works at, the bathrooms are completly automatic, so you don't have to touch anything except the toilet paper! :D

mruffruff
12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm sure someone it working on THAT!