PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Gliders!

SunsetRose
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Does anybody here have one?

I just put in my deposit for one and I get to take him home this week :D I can't wait to get my baby :)

belterv
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
No, I don't have any experience with them but would love to own one someday. I sent you a PM about them. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
My friend has one. They are wonderful little pets. I almost got a rescued one earlier this year, but someone else adopted it.

Be forewarned the males have quite an oder and need to be cleaned daily to keep the oder down.

Aquamarine
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I do! http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif I'm owned by two of these amazing animals; Holly and Yindi. Congrats on your soon to be baby! You wont be dissapointed. Are you planning on getting him a friend later on? If you have any questions about diet, cage, etc. I have a great sugar glider message board for yah... www.sugarglider.net (http://www.sugarglider.net/) If you have any questions you can also PM me as well. http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

Argranade
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I have had a sugar glider before,

These are the things you need to make sure your ok with,

They have to have a baby mouse at least once a month, hopefuly yours won't mind them frozen .. unlike mine he liked them alive and I heard the poor things screaming so I had to leave the room.

They have to eat meal worms & crickets, you'll have to cut the heads off the meal worms so they don't bite back but freeze them for a good few hours .. if you don't freeze them long enough they can come back alive.

Sugar gliders also mark there territory if there not used to it, my room smelt realy bad ... altho I did not mind the stink but my parents did so I have to wait till we move to get another sugar glider.

They will be up all night so you have to be prepared to stay up with them for at least 4 to 5 hours, I was up till 3 in the mroning playing with mine and if you keep them in a cage at night they'll can start biting on the bars keeping you up if there in your room, unless you don't mind the sound.

You'll have some beautiful looking claw marks on you because sugar gliders love to climb on there fellow humans, I'm used to biting and clawing of course from my birds lol.

Well hope you enjoy your sugar glider! :D

SunsetRose
11-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the tips guys :P

I don't think the smell is too bad. I've played with the parents alot and even watched them for 2 weeks while my friends were vacationing in Florida. I'm used to sharp iguana claws so a sugar glider is practically nothing lol. And I'm up half the night anyway (night owl lol).

Thanks for th link, I've been meaning to join that site for a while now lol. I think this will be an only sugar glider though. I know they are very social so I'm prepared to spend alot of time with him.

Argranade
11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Too bad your not closer to me take a look FREE! lol.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=7931972&mpname=R2S&mpuid=17800908333&secev=AQAAAQ82KRgAAM0AAAACACIxMGYzYjYyNDg1MS5hMDEx ODZhLjJkZjYyLmZmZmViYTY2AAAAAAB5CEQAQaE2HJZ%2B%2FZ 2p5TXPHm%2FEl77BpnQ*&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT

SunsetRose
11-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah, they aren't tame, but I think i could fix that with some work.

My baby boy is already tame, he's been handled since about 1 week out of the pouch.

tikeyas_mom
12-01-2006, 12:42 AM
I think these animals are soo amzing!! I would love to be a momma to two of them in the future.. They are so cute!! I believe they are nocternal right>? I havent done much research yet..
Congrats on the "soon to be" new addition :p. make sure ot post pics!

SunsetRose
12-01-2006, 01:58 AM

You can count on pictures as soon as I get him.

And yes, they are nocturnal. I suggest you start researching now or as soon as you can, they're pretty complex little animals lol. Being an exotic species from Australia, they're pretty demanding in their nutritional needs. There's formulated glider food available, but it's not wise to depend on it alone to provide the glider with what it needs. Mainly because glider pellets and diet formulas are still kind of new. They eat everything from fresh fruits and veggies, baby foods, chicken and turkey, insects and pinkie mice so thats a HUGE amount of different vitamins and minerals and protein coming from 2 sources to make into one formula.

They're kind of high maintenence, but they're deffinitly worth it!