PDA

View Full Version : Husky/Malamute Support group for dummies

Denyce
11-28-2006, 03:10 PM
So after much talk and consideration my husband and I have decided to try and start a new group here in State College PA. It is going to be a support group for Husky and Malamute owners. Not a rescue organization as such but a group meeting kind of thing where we can get together with others that have these wonderful but at times trying breeds and be a place of knowledge and support for one another.

We came about this because of hearing of so many huskies and malamutes ending up in shelters because people get this adorable fuzzy puppy and then can’t deal with what comes along afterwards. This has really increased because of movies lately such as Snow Dogs and Eight Below. I thought we could get together periodically and talk about the issues we have come across. We could also pool money together and hire a local trainer or breeder to talk about behavior issues or groomer to talk about what to do in between groomings or get a vet to come in and discuss health issues.

I don’t know…what do you all think? So far the people I have been talking to about it seem to think this is a good idea. Do any of you have other suggestions? Below is part of the flyer I am putting together which I will post at the local animal gathering areas such as pet stores, the dog park, grocery store bulletin boards and the SPCA and PAWS for new adoptees. I would really love your thoughts and opinions.

---------------------------------------------------
Attention Husky and Malamute Enthusiasts

Do you wonder how you are going to cope with the furriest escape artist you have ever known?

Do you want to know how to minimize the mountains of hair your dog seems to eject everywhere?

Do you want to better understand just what your dog is saying in wookie speak?

Do you want to find other doggie playmates for your furry friend that understand that body slamming, growling, pouncing and bear wrestling are all in fun?

Then come and join the newest in support groups!

The Central PA Husky/Malamute Support Group for Dummies
---------------------------------------------------------
Then a couple of pics and our phone number and emails for contacts.

Denyce

cyber-sibes
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Go for it! You can always give it a try & see who responds. Some cities have Siberian clubs & Husky rescue groups that get together. Columbus and Cleveland both have them here in OH. Perhaps you could contact them and offer group support meetings as a resource. I think Adopt-a Husky may be active in your area - they do a great job too. The rescues have all been pretty active getting out flyers with husky info because of Eight Below. I don't think it's generated quite the puppy explosion that Snow Dogs did, but the rescues were gearing up.
Good luck with your idea, Denyce - I hope it works! Maybe you should contact Tamara (Glacier) for some ideas - her husband Stewart has done "meet the husky" events with Earle. :)