PDA

View Full Version : "Premier" martingales - anyone know if they're worth buying?

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm wanting to get Tango a completely nylon, simple, 3/4" martingale collar. I don't want one with a chain on it nor do I want something expensive and/or fancy. I just want a solid coloured, simple martingale collar. So far, the Premier brand (which can be seen here (http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=13) a little ways down the page) is the only collar I've been able to find that fits my description. Someone at a petstore told me to be careful with martingales that are all nylon as they can wear down and break easily. I doubt that's true unless your dog pulls a lot of something, but before I buy a couple, I want to make sure they're worth buying. So, does anyone use these collars here, and if so, do they seem to hold up well and be of good quality?

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Mine are all nylon.. trying to find a picture, and I love them! http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5229&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1164675266337&itemNo=2&In=Dog&N=2025643&Ne=2

Giselle
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Premier didn't list a price, but if you're going to buy in bulk, I'd recommend Halemar: http://www.halemar.com/cat19_1.htm
Most adopted greys are sent home with nylon martingales, and I know many groups order from Halemar. They do hold up very well and I'd trust a nylon martingale over a fancier martingale any day. Unless your dog chews on the collar itself, I'd say it's pretty durable. :)

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 07:57 PM
The link I attached has them starting at 5.99 a piece. I think my sizes were like 8.99 ... And noooooooo chains..

Cincy'sMom
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
We bought our first Premier collar for Sadie when she was about 6 months old, and it is the only collars the dogs have had since. Since we started using them, so have my parents and my sister. I think they are great collars

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I agree!!! They are perfect!

SunsetRose
11-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I've never used martingales, I stick with normal buckle collars.

But I have seen some advertised in cataloges from Pet Edge, www.PetEdge.com

There were a few others that had them as well, can't remember the name at the moment. It wasn't Dr. Foster and Smith though.

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I've never used martingales, I stick with normal buckle collars.

But I have seen some advertised in cataloges from Pet Edge, www.PetEdge.com

There were a few others that had them as well, can't remember the name at the moment. It wasn't Dr. Foster and Smith though.
Ohhhhhhhhhh Sunsetrose!!!! I knew you would join us!!! Welcome!

SunsetRose
11-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey Borzoimom!!!

Yes, I am here hopefully to stay as long as my internet doesn't crash again :rolleyes: :D

SunsetRose
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks, i've always wanted a lap top too hehe :D

cloverfdx
11-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Back on topic... i have used an all nylon martingale in the past with no problems, it was used on Clover and she is a puller but it wore well... untill i lost it ;).

wolfsoul
11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
We sell just nylon martingales at my work. Visa has one -- it's been worn everywhere for a year and a half. I still throw it in the washing machine once a week and have no problems with it wearing. No rips, tears, etc. It's been very hardy. Not a premier brand (we buy our collars homemade at dog shows), but the same kind of thing.

borzoimom
11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
I love mine too.. throw them in the wash.. Always perfect.

GreyhoundGirl
11-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I love mine, it has a leaash and martingale together, and a swivel thing so your leash doesn't get all tangled up. (searches for pic) I bought it at petsmart for 7$ :D It is nylon with fuzzy exterior on one side. The handle also is fuzzy on the side facing your hand. I've had it for almost 2 years now, and there isn't a dent or scratch or pull in it anywhere. I'm very happy with it. Jenny doesn't pull much and doesn't chew her leash, so it hasn't really got much to stand up against, though... :p

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/greyhoundgirl_2006/Martingale.jpg

6 foot leash and martingale for $7. :D

(no chains)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks you guys. Sophie, the ones in the link you provided are a bit cheaper but they don't list a size...either that, or I just missed it somewhere on the site. I e-mailed the premier company and they said that their collars are 8.99, so while they're a bit more expensive, atleast I know I can get the size and exact width I want.

GreyhoundGirl, I've always liked those but don't like using anything except leather for leashes. That, and I also let Tango off leash often and prefer that a collar with ID stays on her neck just incase something were to happen. So while those are nice, they aren't for me.