PDA

View Full Version : Can we all say idiot with a capital I

kittycats_delight
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't even know where to start with what is wrong with this video. Just watch it. These people need serious counselling. Quick someone take this kid away from them before something horrible happens.

Here's The Video (http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/68541/Bad_Parenting.html)

mugsy
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok....that is just not right!
I would hope that it was supposed to be an exercise in gun safety, but, he's just a tad young don't you think? OY! What some people will do....

areias
11-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh geez, so what happens when the kid stumbles upon the gun in a few days when he's not being watched closely, and thinks hey! I can do this! and either hurts himself or someone else. :o

People are just plain stupid. Especially to sit there with a video camera and film it? :mad: "My Son's First Gun Shots"

Miss Z
11-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I can't say much more than flippin' 'eck :eek:

I just hope for all of the family's sake that there was a part we didn't see, where the dad told his son never to use a gun without him there. Otherwise that could end up as a nasty tale :(

Muddy4paws
11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Im not suprised. I've seen something on tv about this kind of thing, An american police officer was bragging about how his 5 year old son can shoot from his gun without him helping.. :mad: Seriously some people dont deserve children when they can be that thick.

Sophist
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
My dad took me out to shoot for the first time when I was very, very little. He did with all of his kids. He gave us lots of severe warnings, kept his guns very secure, and made sure we knew what guns were capable of. We couldn't even point tiny, unrealistic toy guns at people or pets, not even squirt guns, unlike most kids. Because of having this from an early age, several of us encountered unsecured guns outisde our homes when we were very young, and knew how to act. I remember the first time my friend found her fathers gun, which had been hidden from her. We were in kindergarten or first grade. She'd never been allowed to see it or been talked to about it, so the first thing she did was try to look down the barrel to see if it was loaded. I think that is much more dangerous, much worse, and much more irresponsible parenting. If you choose to have firearms in your home, I think making sure your kids are aware of them and know how to safely handle them and not ignorant of them are just as important as locking them up, locking the ammo up seperately, or any other precaution. Little kids seem to be drawn to guns (probably because they know they aren't allowed to have them). So, if you are going to ever have guns in your house, I wholeheartedly support taking your children to the range with you to quell the attraction.

ramanth
11-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Sophist pretty much summed up how I was raised as well. Knew guns were in the house, knew not to touch them, and my dad did take me target practicing when I was young as well.

While the kids age does raise an eyebrow, he is at least wearing protective gear and his father never takes his hands off the weapon.

sparks19
11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I couldn't agree with Sophist and Ramanth more.

Children are not stupid. You need to be upfront and honest with them. Don't feed their curiousity. Let them see it, let them touch it, let them know what it is and what it does and that what it does is PERMANENT. Not like the games they play where everyone is alive and well and a "gun shot" is fun. Parents are responsible for teaching safety to their children. why should gun safety be any different. I say it is much more responsible than having a child stumble upon a gun and have NO idea what it is and the damage it can do.

I do feel this child is a little young for this much interaction with the gun but it is never to early to teach firearm safety IMO

Luvin Labs
11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree with Sophist ramath and sparks. If kids aren't taught to respect the weapon, when they finally come in contact with it it would have fatal results. I never touched a gun, but my dad instilled into me the respect I need to give it and to never mess with his guns.

king2005
12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I agree with Sophist & her mob. Children need to learn at a young age. My dad showed me & my friend his .22 rifle, so if we ever came across it, we knew it wasn't a toy.

TamanduaGirl
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
That does look to young. No way a toddler can understand what's really going on and what it means. When I was like 5 my dad took me out and had my older brother and I fire his gun, with him helping us hold it ect. I really didn't want to and it scared the hell out of me but did feel kinda good about hitting the target. I never went near his gun or the case it was in or even a case that look similar, lol. I think it is a great idea to take a kid out and show them what a real gun can do so they know what it is, that is is very powerfull, and that it in fact does damage that can kill. Then they wont play with it and get themselves or friends killed. It should still be locked away but kids are msarter than you think and can bypass most securities. But I don't think a toddler like that can understand at all. They need to be old enough to understand so it could backfire(no pun intended). but definatly should talk to them about it and let them see it. Guess it just seems dangerouse but it's all controled with dad being there and holding it for him so well, I wouldn't do it that young. but would talk to them about it young incase they saw one at a friends house assuming there isn't one in mine.

king2005
12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
That does look to young. No way a toddler can understand what's really going on and what it means.

Thats not 11% true. Gwyneith is only 2 & shes crazy smart. She can potty, wipe, feed, dress, put on shoes, wash, un/buckle her car seat, open/close the car door, turn lights on/off & so much more all on her own. Who says she wont understand what a gun is & that its not a toy? Shes smart enough she could prob load bolt action rifle, or a relvolver all on her own. Then she can prob manage to blow her head off...

regardless, there is no such thing as gun accidents (not talking about malfunctions that cause the gun to blow), therefore kids should never really have access to the guns unatended. If they ever do, then the parent is 100% at fault. BUT its still wiser to teach your kid gun safety incase their friends parents aren't all that into gun safety.

TamanduaGirl
12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Hmm maybe but i worked with kids of all ages and toddlers are the ones that will come in and pick up a paice of goat poop and try to put it back in the goatd but, eat it themselves, or feed it to another animal. Of course doupt many of them were tought what goat poop was.

I know my first memory was when I was 1.5 and this guy was painting a wall. I wanted to paint and was thinking that so hard then he turns and holds out the roller and askes if I want to paint then pulls is back laughing and goes back to work. I cried, lol. so yeah they understand a lot more than people think but at the same time so much is forgoton and that sense of right and wrong isn't very strong. I suppose it would make more imact and so more likely remembered if they were there to at least see on fired. So i don't know.

No one's actualy getting hurt so it's not so horrible.