PDA

View Full Version : Police officer quits after dog dies when left in squad car

ramanth
06-13-2002, 02:15 PM
NOT AGAIN!!! :( :( :( :(

SCOTT CITY, Kan. - The police officer who worked with Scott County's drug-sniffing dog resigned after the dog died of heat stroke when it was left in the officer's squad car for three hours.

Office Doug Haire had worked with the animal less than two months, but had been with the Scott City Police Department for two years.

Haire resigned Tuesday, a day after the city council voted to recommend to Scott County Sheriff Alan Stewart that Haire either be fired or asked to resign.

Haire said Wednesday that he's not likely to continue a career in law enforcement. He said he quit because "basically I'm responsible for the dog."

Dar, a 3 1/2-year-old Czechoslovakian Shepherd that had served the police and Scott County Sheriff's Department since January 2001, died of a heat stroke in a back-seat kennel in Haire's cruiser last Friday.

Haire had parked the car in the sun at the city's law enforcement center and gone inside, leaving the back windows of the squad car rolled completely down and the front windows cracked open. Officers are discouraged from bringing a drug dog into the law enforcement center, because those in the building tend to coddle the animal.

"I got caught up and busy, and then I went out and found him," Haire said.

It was 94 degrees outside when Haire discovered the dog dead in his kennel at about 3:15 p.m., he said. Dar had a dish of water, Haire said, and had been left alone in the squad kennel before.

Scott City Assistant Police Chief Jeff Pounds said Haire's inexperience with the dog could have contributed to the animal's death.

"I believe he just didn't think it was that hot out," Pounds said.

Haire could face a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to an animal, although Scott County Attorney John Shirley said he has yet to review the case.

"He was attached to the dog and fond of it," Shirley said. "He feels bad about the loss."

Dar had replaced the county's other drug dog, which retired at the beginning of the year. Haire had just completed training to work with the animal, which costs about $1,500, Pounds said.

Dar cost about $8,000 and was paid for by community contributions, Pounds said. The city likely will buy a new dog, but Pounds said he expects the community won't be as forthcoming with money this time.

Even with windows rolled down..... wow...... :(

jennifert
06-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Oh no! How sad.:( :( What is wrong with leaving the car running? They don't seem to have a problem leaving the car running any other time, like when they dont' want to get into a hot car!!

ramanth
06-13-2002, 02:23 PM
One of our local officers drove thru the complex while I was out walking Kia. He then parked the car, got out, left it running, and walked off.

I've seen them do this to discourage speeders at night. If they can do it then, why not during the the day when they have a dog inside!

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Believe it or not, I ALWAYS leave the car running and the AC when Draker is in the car and I need to run into a store in the summer. Someone told me once that I was foolish and someone could steal my car. I dare anyone to even come near my car with Drake in it!

ramanth
06-13-2002, 02:40 PM
I have duplicates of my key made for this very reason. That way I can lock the door and leave the car running. :)

And there is no way Kia's going to bump the gear shift. Not unless she grows a thumb and learns how to use it. I love Grand Am's. :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-13-2002, 02:59 PM
He!He!He! Draker would have to learn how to drive a 5 speed!

jennifert
06-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Duncan too!! I don't think, big as they are though, that they could reach the clutch!! ;) :D

Dixieland Dancer
06-13-2002, 03:17 PM
This one at least didn't forget his partner and I think really shows remorse for the dogs loss of life. I didn't get that impression from the other incident but then I don't know the whole story.

That being said though.... you still never leave a dog in the sun in the heat of the day because you don't want people to coddle it. :mad: Dogs aren't suppose to be coddled because they have a job to perform? :confused: :mad: :confused: RIDICULOUS! :mad:

Ann
06-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Wait a second... Is this a different guy than last time?

You're not trying to tell me that TWO different police officers forgot their dogs?! I can't belive this...