PDA

View Full Version : Designer breeds or shelter dogs - know the difference?

Pam
11-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Here is a little quiz I found. See how you do. I got all correct except the one at the end but, believe me, it was just some lucky guessing. In actuality each pair of dogs looks very similar and of course the designer dogs are really mixed breeds, just as the shelter dogs are.

http://grumpybumpers.com/dogs/index.cgi

cloverfdx
11-27-2006, 06:34 AM
I got 4 right ;).

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 06:37 AM
I have seen a quiz similar to this one before. And the joke is, someone spent alot more money to get the same looking dog.. Our shelter manager calls those buys " Barnums" ( "there is a sucker born every minute...')
If I didnt want to show, I would have shelter dogs. I like knowing with certain breeds what I am getting myself into- and have made my decission on which based on that desire to know. Even then, each of mine is a different personality.

Zippy
11-27-2006, 07:32 AM
I got a 71%.I only missed 2.

elizabethann
11-27-2006, 08:03 AM
i got 42%

TFTpwnsYou
11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
i got 42%

Same here. But I know what the really big difference between them is since they are the same mix..........the so called "designer dogs" cost upwards to $1,000, and shelter dogs cost maybe $150 max. but that includes the spay/neuter and such. Puggle for $1,000 or puggle for $150? I think I'll take the grand please!....lol. :rolleyes:

KYS
11-27-2006, 09:23 AM
I got a 42% and I was guessing the whole time.
I had no idea how to choose.

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Same here. But I know what the really big difference between them is since they are the same mix..........the so called "designer dogs" cost upwards to $1,000, and shelter dogs cost maybe $150 max. but that includes the spay/neuter and such. Puggle for $1,000 or puggle for $150? I think I'll take the grand please!....lol. :rolleyes:
Yea sounds like a good "Vontage" commercial ( woohoo- woo, hoo-hoo..)

TFTpwnsYou
11-27-2006, 09:55 AM
LOL! That would be a good one!

lute
11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
i missed 2. nice quiz.

Lori Jordan
11-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Your score: 100%

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Years ago, in Dog World magazine was a article in mixed breeds becoming "designer". It started the process of being a recognized breed as generations of the same producing the same in appearance, color = equal to a standard.
In this article was a comparision to this use of names- the example was a Pekinese and Poodle- producing slang "peekapoo". However A peekapoo is out of these two breeds. There for when the off spring a peekapoo to peekapoo, as no longer were the parents a Pekinese and a Poodle- but pekapoo to pekapoo- thus making a tongue in cheek joke of a " peekpeekpoopoo.. Their point was all the others breeds bred originally from two different breeds became a seperate identity- and these designer ( mutts) can not. Their final point was, If a peekapoo became a real peekapoo, then it must at least 3 generations to establish the breed will maintain its looks in appearance etc.
Its like that old joke- what the breed comes - when a Bull Terrier is bred to a Shitzu- it becomes a bull---- ( fill in the blanks. but you get it..)

BC_MoM
11-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow, 100%. :D

ramanth
11-27-2006, 12:20 PM
28%.. was totally guessing. Shame most of the people who need to see this won't.

Andy was flabbergasted that they had books about the different designer breeds and how to care for them.

labmomma
11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
My score was 100%. I especially liked the second shelter dog opposite a labradoodle and those paws were awesome.
Labmomma X 2

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
( Pam- here is the rest of that joke-) but a play on words.. "New Dog Breeds Recognized by the AKC:"
>>

>>Collie + Lhasa Apso
>>Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport
>>
>>Spitz + Chow Chow
>>Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot
>>
>>Pointer + Setter
>>Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
>>
>>Great Pyrenees + Dachshund
>>Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
>>
>>Pekingese + Lhasa Apso
>>Peekasso, an abstract dog
>>
>>Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel
>>Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
>
>>Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever
>>Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists
>>
>>Newfoundland + Basset Hound
>>Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors
>>
>>Terrier + Bulldog
>>Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes
>>
>>Bloodhound + Labrador
>>Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly
>>
>>Malamute + Pointer
>>Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway
>>
>>Collie + Malamute
>>Commute, a dog that travels to work
>>
>>Deerhound + Terrier
>>Derriere, a dog that's true to the end
>>
>>Bull Terrier + Shitzu
>>Um, never mind....
>>

tikeyas_mom
11-27-2006, 02:38 PM
haha those were cute ^^

GreyhoundGirl
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Wonderful quiz ! I'm going to pass it to everyone I know. A strong message, with proof to the point. I just picked the cuter one. lol.

Your score: 42%

:eek: I'll have to re-take the grade ! I'm a failure ! :p

BTW, very cute Borzoimom

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
haha those were cute ^^
And one more for you
Anatolian Shepherd and a Borzoi- AtotlBore...

dab_20
11-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Wow, I only got 1 right. Just goes to show you, there's no difference. Except if you go to the shelter, your spending less money and saving a life. Doesn't going to the shelter sound better?

buttercup132
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Your score: 85%

I don't think I can actually tell by the looks but the pictures.
People who breed stupid dogs like that tend to take stupid pictures
As to shelters who show the dogs having fun
Because these people aren't good breeders they take pictures of their dogs usually on the couch or something too..

Pembroke_Corgi
11-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I only got a 42%.

GreyhoundGirl
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Your score: 85%

I don't think I can actually tell by the looks but the pictures.
People who breed stupid dogs like that tend to take stupid pictures
As to shelters who show the dogs having fun
Because these people aren't good breeders they take pictures of their dogs usually on the couch or something too..

Aye, you're right. I went back and did it with that knowledge, and also got 85%

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I did the same too- 42% but the joke is- giving this the benefit of the doubt, I was looking at the bone structure of the dogs. The better the bone structure became the ones " from these caring breeders.." After awhile I started to laugh. Obviously they were not even using good ones of the breeds they were mixing- ...

Suki Wingy
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I didn't get any! And I know breeds pretty well. Chances are those dogs from shelters started out from a "breeder"

borzoimom
11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
They are the same mix but not a breeder made mutt. Only goes to show- they are less likely in this environment to use good representatives of any breed. We have a puggle in our shelter now.. who wants the dog??? She is sweet.. This designer cr*p is just a bunch of oppoturnist bast*ards... At the dogs expense. Long after a fad fades, the dogs are still alive, no longer wanted in their homes...

Uabassoon
11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I scored a 57%, I mostly just guessed as I really couldn't tell a difference.